How much does a salesperson make off a car sale?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Pickle Jar, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just wondering while I am waiting for my oil change.

2. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    XuXu and scoobyla like this.
  3. Pickle Jar

Pickle Jar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He is too busy eating at a all you can eat buffet

4. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    It depends on how much they sell it for. They have report on every car on the lot and how far they are into it financially. They also get more on the service agreement stuff if they can talk you into it.

5. cah155

cah155 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    At a dealer I use to work at the salesmen made 250 a car no matter what the cost of the car is.

6. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    There's probably some base amount. But there are always factory or dealer contests/incentives above that to sell certain models.

scoobyla likes this.
  7. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they either work for commission or salary
    not very much play on a new car, couple hundred tops, but there are incentives if you sell x amount of new cars a month

better profit margin on selling a used car

John Mahlin, monsoon and Bababoey31 like this.
  8. Bababoey31

Bababoey31 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I did that for a short stint. It's really tough to make money selling new cars. Everyone knows about what they can get them for so dealers discount the shit out of them. Many years ago when I was doing it you were lucky to make $200 a car.

However, if you're in used cars you can make some cash. Someone can't go down the street and buy that exact car. Ours were typically marked up about $3k and up. So a used car salesperson could make some decent cash. I'd say the avg a salesperson got on used at the place I worked at was around $500 a car.

Turtle Man and scoobyla like this.
  9. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    speaking of oil changes, the back-end is what keeps these places going. service, body shop.. $$$

floplop likes this.
  10. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    I had a guy at jiffy lube try to steal my stash once whenever I pulled in for a quick oil change.
    I didn't realize that they vacuumed the car while changing the oil, and before I got out I had hidden my little weed stash (not a lot) under the driver side floor mat.
    When I got back into the car I noticed one kid was sort of sneering at me as I got walked by. I immediately noted that my car had been vacuumed, and I reached down to flip the mat over and low and behold...stash gone.
    I GTFO of my car, and walked through the service bays until I was able to locate the sneering fuck. I walked right up to him and held my hand out. "Give it back."
    He played dumb for a second and I said, "I'm not leaving until you give it back."
    The punk reached into his baggy assed pants and handed me back my weed.
    I never went back.

11. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    if he didn't would u have called the cops?

12. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    No.
    I would have driven away, head down.

cg256, Snapper50, heysteve and 3 others like this.
  13. Pussy Tendon

Pussy Tendon Wet! CUNT!!!!! Gold

Reputations:
    Not much to be had in new sales/leasing unless it's been on the lot a while and dealer offering a spiff to someone who gets rid of it.

The real money is in used, normally around 30% of the gross.

14. monsoon

monsoon Who are you with?

Reputations:
    Dealerships really nail you on the service. But...your car is safer there. I have a 73 vette that I took in for a tune up.
    The owner of the company took my car out and got into an accident with it. They estimate he was doing 100+.
    I sued the fucking shit out of him. Made his life miserable. His insurance paid out but I fucked with this guy.
    Told his wife we are on a date that's why he was driving my car...I fucked with guy hard.

Dealerships dont do that...

F mutt

15. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:
    :spit:

XuXu likes this.
  16. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    I'm thinking of trading my coupe in to get an SUV, the wife and I need something more practical. I've seen a couple priced right at their KBB and TMV values. I truly, truly suck at negotiating prices, any advice on where I should start as far as an offer? They are both a little more because they're "certified," though I'm not sure how valuable that is aside from the 12-month warranty. I'm looking at:

2013 Ford Escape SE - $19,300
    2013 GMC Terrain SLE-1 - $18,900

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  17. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Lots more factors in to it, unfortunately.
    - Miles
    - Equipment. An Escape SE, for example, can go from pretty basic to leather and panoramic sunroof with a 2.0T engine. About $8,000 difference.
    - Condition.
    - Color (are interior and exterior popular choices?) This goes beyond what price guides say. A beige or green car might be thousands less than a silver one of the same type.
    - Carfax- check the carfax, even if you have to pay for one. If it has accident history or more than one previous owner it's worth less. Two owners in 3 years might indicate a troubled car, so I'd pass.
    - Service records. Ask to see their computer records of when it was serviced and when it came in for warranty repairs. If they dont' have the records, you'd better see paper ones or pass. But do insist on the warranty records, as all dealers have access to that on every vehicle. If they balk, it's for a reason.
    - In service date. This can effect how much warranty you have left. Some 2013's were put in service in fall 2012, others in fall 2013. Carfax will tell you this. But one will be literally a year newer.
    - Don't put too much faith in a Ford or GMC "certified" car. it's not like the luxury brands and they have lots of issues with dealers not following the certification inspections correctly since they can sell them for more that way. The year of warranty is not worth much, since they're already covered for powertrain for a couple more years. It would cover AC or radio stuff, and sometimes they exclude electronics, so read the actual warranty. It is not going to be bumper to bumper probably.
    - Once you negotiate a price and have a deal, pay to have a auto inspection service come out and look it over. Or drive it to your mechanic if you have one. Cars can be screwy in lots of ways, and if you aren't able to check it out yourself someone needs to. It delays the purchase a little, but saves people's bacon a lot of times.
    - Always offer a little less, and understand that time is money. If you casually and politely decline their offer and walk out, they will probably call you later with a better one. If not, you know their bottom line price now. These are pretty common vehicles, I wouldn't sweat losing one. But they do know you hate doing this and so they will try to get a better price knowing you just want it to all be over with.

jrstinkfish likes this.
  18. IowaHawks

IowaHawks Member

Reputations:
    What a salesman makes varies depending on the pay plan at the dealership. If they are on the old 25% of the gross profit...it's usually a couple hundred bucks at most. Many new cars are sold at such little profit that the salesman makes his guaranteed 'mini' on the deal. Minis used to be as little as $50 but are now more likely $200 or $250.

The markup on new cars is not much..most of the real money comes from factory spiffs ( sell 50 new chevys this month and the dealership gets an additional $1000 back door money for each car sold, for example).

Lots of dealers have gone to a flat fee per car of a few hundred bucks per car sold with monthly volume bonuses for their salespeople.

Used cars are where the money is...they can be marked up 3 or 4 grand...25% of that can be ok.

Selling cars sucks....I was very good but it still sucked.

wife is a whore and scoobyla like this.
  19. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    You're the fucking pickle jar. You tell us

20. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

How many cars did he sell per day / or per week?