How to Cuddle With Lions and Not Die

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by computer blue, Jan 12, 2014.

1. computer blue

computer blue Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;MNCzSfv4hX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNCzSfv4hX8[/video]

2. AnimalGod

AnimalGod Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    pretty bad ass.

3. deverrant

deverrant VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This is pretty amazing. I wonder how he forged these relationships; how he came to be able to win their trust and friendship and be able to interact that way. Not to mention how he managed the fear he must have had initially.

4. redshirt

redshirt Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Wow, pretty cool. Like big kitties...except for the fact that any one of them could rip his throat out with claws or teeth without too much issue.

5. deverrant

Reputations:
    Richardson went to university and studied zoology, but quit following two years of repetitive lessons on marine biology instead of mammals. As an adult, Richardson believed that he would never have a career working with animals and that it would remain a hobby of his. He started taking courses in physiology and anatomy in college...
    When he was twenty-three, he had the opportunity to work with two six-month-old lion cubs, Tau and Napoleon, at the Lion Park near the outskirts of his home in Johannesburg.[6] He still works with the grown cubs.

Richardson has worked with big cats and relies on intuition rather than static rules. He has slept next to, fed, and lived with lions. Along with lions, he has worked with cheetahs, leopards, and hyenas. He prefers lions to any other big cat.[12] His relationship with the animals, however, has not been an instant one. He has known most of the lions he works with since they were cubs.[5] He still continues his bond with Tau and Napoleon, the lion brothers who were his introduction to big cats.[4]
    His unique relationship with the genus Panthera has dispelled many myths concerning the care of lions... That does not mean there are no dangers; Richardson, throughout his career, has had many close encounters.[13]
    Richardson rejects the traditional notion that lions should be mastered and dominated, preferring to develop a relationship over time, based on love and respect.[14] "A lion is not a possession; it's a sentient being, so you must pay attention and develop your bond like with any relationship."

Richardson quickly learned about the dangers of lion keeping when a four-year-old male held him down and bit him; the lion held on at first, before letting go and walking away. From then on, Richardson has used his intuition and stays away if something feels wrong.[13] In another incident, the lions were in a good mood. Two 400-pound (180 kilogram) lions threw Richardson to the ground and another female jumped on him. He emerged with his face red. As he left, one lion smacked his shoulder with a paw.[9] Richardson has been clawed and bitten often. It is the nature of lions to scratch each other and they regard Richardson no differently.[5] Richardson is not dissuaded by these dangers. In an interview, he mentions, "Obviously one realizes the danger when working with animals of this calibre, I've weighed the pros and I've weighed the cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons." He warns about following in his footsteps, however. All the pictures of his adventures do not portray his years of experience and bonding. "People like to take things out of context. They don't know the relationship I have with this lion." As a rule, Richardson only interacts with lions he has been with since their birth.[5] Richardson also differentiates his work from those of zoologists interacting with completely wild animals they have not raised, or that of trainers whose animals are required to perform on stage day after day

6. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    That awesome. :cool:

7. Danas Boyfrien

Danas Boyfrien Trump's African American Gold

Reputations:
    White people going crazy.

8. Mur

Mur soon VIP

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;zVNTdWbVBgc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNTdWbVBgc[/video]

9. BearShit

BearShit BearShit + Tom Hardy = BFF

Reputations:
    Lets hope he has a gopro recording when a Lion mauls him.

[​IMG]

10. kbrambo

kbrambo Active Member

Reputations:
    Fuckers clothes must be made out of catnip.:nutz:

11. keywordpk

keywordpk Perpetual Geek Gold

Reputations:
    Am I the only one bawling like a baby over this? :tears:

12. Danas Boyfrien

Danas Boyfrien Trump's African American Gold

Reputations:
    Would have been cooler if he ate one of them.

13. BearShit

BearShit BearShit + Tom Hardy = BFF

Reputations:
    Yes

2 queers and a lion is not tear jerking

14. Just Peachy

Just Peachy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Such a wonderful video. Sure he's playing with fire but in a way I understand why he does it. And to spotlight loss of habitat for these animals is a good cause.

And did you see those paws? :wub:

15. keywordpk

keywordpk Perpetual Geek Gold

Reputations:
    :rofl:

16. mikehal121

mikehal121 Active Member

Reputations:
  17. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    oh no, I cried like a little bitch when I first saw that :jj:

18. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    he raised those lions btw if you bothered to read. & yes he will die by the big cat, just a matter of time. I think people who grew up with housecats know that you don't wanna give up the weight differential to that housecat nevermind a lion.:facepalm:

19. deverrant

Reputations:
    Guilty! :hw:

20. deverrant

Reputations:
    It also said he's experienced the dangers first-hand, having been bitten and scratched several times; but that he's weighed the pros against the cons and has decided the pros win.
    He's confident in his rapport with the animals and willing to take the risk in the event that he's wrong, in order to experience something so unique and, to him, beautiful; as well as raise awareness to support his cause.

Regardless of whether or not he someday dies by the big cat I'm sure in his eyes it will have been worth it. He will have already experienced something incredible and spent his life fighting for a cause he believed in.