WTF How will I know when...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BaldPussy, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BaldPussy

BaldPussy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How will I know when it is time to put my cat down? She is eating and still has bowel and bladder control. She however, is having a difficult time "talking". She always had loud vocalizations, but now it is a struggle for her to even let out a meow.

She sleeps and spends 95 percent of the time in her Kitty condo but she has always spent alot time there (it is under a skylight) She is 16 and 1/2 years old and sometimes looks very feeble and at other times not feeble at all. and I am a mess thinking about this decision.[​IMG]

2. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i know of a cat expert

Nerd and Rescued Owl like this.
  3. Swedish John

Swedish John I'm your huckleberry

Reputations:

Nerd and BrerJimmy like this.
  4. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Would you put your wife down if she couldn't talk ? :dontknow:

Lemmy likes this.
  5. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm disappointed this is what you're screen name is about.

About the cat, it's eating and shitting, even enjoying sunlight. That's more than half the "humans" here. Just cause it's not talking you're thinking about putting it down? Stop being a hairy pussy and leave the cat alone. You'll know when it's time

Lemmy and Fuzz Nuts like this.
  6. tomg

tomg Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't envy your situation because it is a brutal thing to go through.The 3 times I went through it with my cats over the years I always made the comfort of the cat the most important factor.I would think putting her down before she suffers even if it is a bit premature is better than having her live in pain even for a day or two.Again that is just my two cents because having to make that decision sucks.I hope things go as well as possible.

7. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No. That's when she'd get a new bag

Joe Bauers likes this.
  8. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    You'll know. It will get bad and be obvious. It's a hard choice and I've always regretted it but known it was right. Enjoy your time now. Not yet.

9. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Growing up, we had a calico that just kept going year after year. We thought the same thing, we were trying to figure out if she was fine or if we would need to put her down. One evening I saw something dark on the front lawn, I went to see what it was, and it was her. Looks like she made her own choice when to lay down and die.

10. nun puncher

nun puncher Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It was time many years ago...just saying

11. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    When the cat stops eating and despite no matter what you try, she won't eat. Cats will die within just a couple of days without food. I've been through this a number of times and my vet told me as long as I could get my cat to eat even a little bit, it wasn't time. She will tell you when she's ready to go. Right now she's a happy old lady.

DrSublux and jrstinkfish like this.
  12. RaeRae

RaeRae VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    As long as she's not suffering let her be. She is just showing signs of old age. I recently had to put down my 18 year old cat. She was gradually slowing down and showing signs of aging. Then she had a massive stroke and I did the right thing for her. You'll know when it's time.

13. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    Old cats will lose their "meowers" -- that just happens with age. I lost my 21 year old cat earlier this year -- he was part Siamese and when he was younger, he was extremely vocal. The past 3-4 years, his meow just turned into a scratchy creaky sound, but he was otherwise healthy (aside from normal elderly ailments).

Your cat is fine. It's just old. Most cats don't live as old as yours, so be happy you get to spend that much time with her :) Just make sure at her age, you take her in for regular exams and bloodwork so that things can be spotted early enough to treat. If you're truly worried, a vet can put your mind at ease better than we can.

14. cookie5000

cookie5000 aka Consuela Gold

Reputations:
    What most ppl are saying is true, she will tell u when it's time. I recently lost my 18 yr old dog & was wondering the same thing as he wasn't doing good for weeks but he kept eating. Then one day he stopped eating & died the next day

15. deadbeat

deadbeat Well-Known Member

Reputations: