How will the Apple Maps fix themselves?

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Dave, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    So I used the new IOS6 maps yesterday to get to the closest 7-11, it sent me to someones house lol. The 7-11 was around the block though.

Anyways, Tim Cook says they are a cloud based whatchmcallit so the more people use it the better it will get. How? I had no way of telling it the location was wrong so how does it know it was wrong and correct itself?

2. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck if I know. It has worked great for me (luckily) but I have the Garmin app which is more of my "go to" anyway.

3. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I'm guessing Tim Cook is full of shit and they just have a bunch of drones (employees) working on it trying to make improvements. I'm sure it'll get better but who knows how long it'll take and if it will ever be as good as Google's.

4. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    By the time their maps get as good as google's maps are now imagine how good google will be.

5. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  6. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    just download the free mapquest app with turn by turn directions..has never steered me wrong.

7. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    I bought Navigon for driving. Cheaper than a dedicated GPS and rules so hard. SOOOO hard

8. JJDealer

JJDealer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Waze kicks ass.

*** New - easily find cheap gas on your route! ***

Waze is a fun, community-based traffic & navigation app, 20 million strong. Plug into the driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time & gas $, and improve everyone's daily commute.

✓ Community generated real-time traffic and road alerts including accidents, hazards, police traps, and more.
    ✓ Complete voice-guided navigation.
    ✓ Automatic re-routing as conditions on the road change.
    ✓ Learns your frequent destinations, commuting hours and preferred routes.
    ✓ Find the cheapest gas station on your route.
    ✓ Redeem Wazer-only gas specials at participating gas stations. (currently in the US only)
    ✓ Meet-up! Share your location/destination and ETA to easily meet up with friends.
    ✓ Join or create groups to share info about your commute.
    ✓ Earn points and move up the ranks in your community as you contribute road info.
    ✓ Live maps, constantly updated by Waze community map editors.

Drive safe! Waze is hands-free and voice-operated. By simply driving around with Waze open, you're already contributing real-time traffic & road info to other Wazers nearby.

It's all about contributing to, and benefiting from, the 'common good' out there on the road, so hop on board, and get involved in your local driving community today!

Note: Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.

...More
    Waze Inc. Web SiteWaze social GPS traffic & gas Support
    What's New in Version 3.2.2
    Fixes bug in rerouting after driving off route
    Waze now supports Pioneer AppRadio and Advanced App Mode-enabled products

ScreenshotsiPhone iPad

Customer Reviews
    Best App Ever!!!

by strapster69
    I would pay for this App. Awesome!!!!!

Accurate maps for a free app!

by Jeffs320
    So I tried the App because I was looking for a GPS App that talked and didn't want to pay to try one. So far the maps have been really accurate, and getting updates about traffic and accidents is nice.

It takes a little tweaking to get right to limit the number of pop ups that are distracting while driving, but once it is set it is good to go.

I also like the prefer Bluetooth option for the voice, works great to set my destination, connect my Bluetooth, toss it in my pocket, and go for a ride on the Harley. When I come up on a turn it lowers the volume of iTunes, tells me when to turn, then turns the music back up again. Very nice.

...More
    Greatness

by Ryan Dinham
    You can't go wrong with a app that goes around traffic but easily gets u away traffic speed traps roadblocks and many more for free #winning

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/waze-social-gps-traffic-gas/id323229106?mt=8

9. jackie the jerk

jackie the jerk Not Mexican VIP

Reputations:
    So far the directions have been fine, I'm pissed that the maps now don't show you what the place you are going looks like anymore :mad:

10. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    Yeah I know about the apps. Just don't understand what "cloud" based has to do with it if we can't correct it and make it better. Sounds like he was bullshitting.

11. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    I was trying to go to dinner to this place on 12th and H St NE, and instead it dropped us off on 2nd and H St NE and had us walk 10 blocks in a black neighborhood :facepalm:

12. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Years ago I paid for my wife to have the TomTom app on her iphone. $50 and we've been getting lifetime updates and maps.

13. Dave

Dave Active Member

Reputations:
    I see it, if you "flip" up the map there's a link to report a problem . It's kind of greyed out but it works if you tap it.