Shop Now At Amazon

Howard adores his cats...thinking' of getting one..need real world advice

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Dlist, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Dlist

Dlist Avatar by Pontius Pilot. VIP Shot Dead

Reputations:
    And since I can't wait for Beth's O My Cat book to come out:facepalm:, thought I would ask here...
    BTW, I've never had a cat..only dawgs..so I don't feel that confident being a cat owner..

1) I would like an affectionate kitty..I hear some are very aloof...how do I pick one?
    2) that jumping on kitchen countertops..don't like that..can they be trained not to?
    3) Do you really have to clean the litter box several times per day? (Beth says so, but I don't have a Conseula)
    4) Do they really sleep all day then run around and keep you up all night?
    5) Would not declaw a cat..but don't want them scratching up everything....can they be trained to not do that?
    6) My dawg is confused by cats, he doesn't know what to make of them at Petsmart or the vet..he isn't aggressive..just confused, might chase them if they run...how do I insure they get along?
    7) And why do they spray? Is that a male thing? Should I get a female?

Would tweet beth but I'm sure she would say 'hire a cat psychologist" or some such nonsense.

2. chuk

chuk VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Having read all of your questions, I can say you definitely should not get a cat.

3. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    I think you might be better off getting a kitten. If your dog isn't aggressive a kitten will most likely want to be his friend.

4. knu3421

knu3421 Meep Meep! Gold VIP

Reputations:
    I just inhaled cat nip while viewing this.

5. Dlist

Reputations:
    I accept that..

6. harlock

Reputations:
    cats are really funny with that stuff

7. Dlist

Reputations:
    Having done dawg rescue, I kind of wanted to adopt an older cat b/c no one wants them...but if you think a kitten will be a better option..I will definitely consider that.

8. Double Blizz

Double Blizz New Member Shot Dead

Reputations:
    I'm insanely allergic to cat hair,so I've never had one. I know once I walked into my aunts house and was introduced to the smell of cat urine. I don't know how people can handle cats.

9. harlock

Reputations:
    I know that you do the rescue thing, and it's really cool that you do. Cats are actually very trainaboe if they are taught at an early age. You will be able to keep it from walking on tables and counters, and be able to teach it to use a scratching post etc. if you raise it from a kitten. If you have only one cat, once a day is fine for the litterbox.

10. Lou Cypher

Lou Cypher New Member VIP

Reputations:
    1) Get a kitten, or spend time with the adult cats at Petsmart (without your dog) and you can tell pretty quickly which ones are affectionate.
    2) No. Cats do whatever the fuck they want whenever the fuck they feel like it.
    3) Once a day is fine, especially for a single cat (unless they make a huge, sick mess and it's all over the side of the box. That's fun.)
    4) Sometimes. I keep my bedroom door shut.
    5) No. See #2
    6) Introduce them gradually and don't take your eyes off them! You want to be sure that they don't hurt each other (or worse).
    7) I have males and they're all neutered and don't spray, but some will spray even after being fixed. I've heard that females can be bitchy, but I think it just depends on the cat.

11. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Most cats will adapt to you and become affectionate over time. Spay/neuter and adopt from a shelter. One thing - some dogs love cat poop so keep the box out of the dog's reach, or you can add something to the cat's food.

12. Vashier

Vashier Editor In Chief DawgShed News

Reputations:
    always get a kitten and spend a ton of time with it. They train if you put the time in. 1 cat the box needs to be cleaned every 2 days. Cats always want to be higher then everything else. Keeping them off the counter is a tough one. They sell claw sheaths but I've never used them. I would think if you started the kitten out with them they would take to it over time. Affection works better then treats when training a cat. Cats are nocturnal but they don't keep you up all night. They want to be with you so when you are up they will be.

13. Thelma

Thelma VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I'll answer the ones I have experience with:

1) It's sometimes hard to tell if you get a kitten if they will be affectionate - you can usually tell by holding a full grown cat if they are affectionate. Although I adopted a stray who I had for several months and she was so unhappy I thought I made the wrong decision. Then one day she changed like a light switch and became such a sweetheart. I find with cats you need a lot of patience - they do things on their time.

3) I think it depends on how many litter boxes you have.

4) My cats sleep most of the day but they have never kept me up at night.

5) I happened to buy furniture with a fabric that is pretty dense so they're not able to shred it so they have pretty much lost interest in it.

Best Friends Animal Society has some helpful info - here is the page about cats: http://www.bestfriends.org/Resources/Pet-Care/Cats/Getting-Started/

14. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold Poster Of The Year

Reputations:
    this...:jj:

15. Beth Eats Hay

Beth Eats Hay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    1) An affectionate cat/kitten will come right to you, and let you pet them, Listen for a purr....

2)There is spray called "No" that is said to work. I don't think it does. the trick here is to not have anything edible left on the counter top.....no reason to jump.

3)Once a day is fine. You can get a big box and clean it every other day. It takes 10 seconds to do it.....

4) No, they sleep all day AND all night. LOL They might wake you in the morning to eat, though...

5) Buy a scratching post and catnip......He'll use that instead your furniture and molding...

6) Put the cat in a crate so the pets can get used to each other. If the dog is aggressive, kick it.... (just kidding) Dogs and cats get along fine.

7) Only males spray.....Females bleed. Get them fixed.....solves both problems.

16. knu3421

knu3421 Meep Meep! Gold VIP

Reputations:
    my cat watches 30 rock no bullshit

17. smichal

smichal Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I don't have a cat due to family allergies, but you should definitely get one!
    Lots of homeless kitties out there! For pee spraying, I think that is a male thing. Not sure if fixed males do it.
    For the scratching & counter top jumping I think you are supposed to spray 'em with a squirt gun to discourage them till they get the hint.
    For #1 maybe you can go to the shelter and pet some. You can tell if they like you.
    For the dog, I think you are supposed to introduce them slowly over time - keep the cat locked in a separate room for a few days.

My friend has 3 cats right now. 1 was abandoned in the countryside as a tiny kitten and 2 came from the shelter. They are A-OK. Only thing gross is the poo. I think you do have to clean the litterbox daily because the smell is bad.

18. Vashier

Vashier Editor In Chief DawgShed News

Reputations:
    When my dog was a pup he LOVED cat shit. We came home and our once snow white pup was dark brown head to toe. Eating cat shit floods their system with ecoli that turns everything to liquid poop. Poor puppy his cage was never the same again :jj:

19. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold Poster Of The Year

Reputations:
    no shitting or pissing outside the litter box is my only rule.

20. Dlist

Reputations:
    The rescue group requires it..and I am fine with that...