Howard and the Dr. Sarno infomercials on back pain...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Charlie Kelly, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly New Member

Reputations:
    I get spasms all the time and I would love to think it's all in my head but they wake me from my sleep like a knife.

How is it possible that Howard can constantly try to sell this theory? has anyone ever read this book?
    We all know Howard and Robin are batshit crazy but this seems the worst of them all.

2. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I read it and afterwards my whole body ached.

3. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    :secret:The emperor has no clothes.

4. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    The book is for hypochondriacs like Howard.

5. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    It cures the gay too

6. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is a chance the spasms are stress related which would technically be "all in your head".

Sarno's theories are not one size fits all, which Howard infers in his rants, but he is right in that much of our pain is brought upon ourselves through stress, worry, hypochondria etc.

Yours might be too much weight, bad posture, improper lifting at work, hell might be a shitty mattress, but there's also a chance it's stress and worry which can be cured with the mind.

7. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I read one of Sarno's books years ago. It made my eyes hurt.

8. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    That can't be true. If what you speak were true, Wig would stop talking about beer-can cock and stuff.

9. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Bah, it's all in your head. If your head were straight, you could sleep in a bed of rocks and wake up ready to take on the next challenge!

10. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Fair enough but on the other side of the coin ignoring pain or convincing yourself its only in your head can lead to far worse damage if its a real structural issue with your back.

11. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    As i have mentioned here before, i went to dr. Sarno in 2010. $1000 for the visit, takes no insurance. Didnt work, but i had to try.

12. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I think real doctors +[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] MRI is better then hypnosis.

I know... Have had 3 back surgeries. I really hate when Howard rants on about this since he have zero clue (as usual). Its his elitist jew values that shine thru. "I am jew. I therefore know best".
    [/FONT]​

13. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That's where Howard's mental illness is really obvious. Several people have mentioned they had accidents that caused documented physical injuries and Wiggy still refuses to believe it's not all in their heads. There's something seriously wrong with that guy.

14. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I read one of his books... and it helped me.

I'll summarize it... maybe it'll help someone:

The concept is pretty simple. Do you believe in the placebo effect? YES

So you agree the mind is powerful and can magically cure you.

Next, look at the number of cases of things like say, carpel tunnel syndrome, acid reflux, lower back pain, etc...

If you just look at the number of cases over the past 5 decades you'll notice that they come in waves... i.e. there are "trendy" ailments.

Since you believe in the placebo effect - that the mind can magically cure you - then it follows that the brain can magically make you ill. The brain controls blood flow (think of blushing). So if you have carpel tunnel syndrome it might be because your brain is causing it... not the repetitive motion that people have been doing for a century. Yes, you have it... but the brain is causing it.

So here's what you should say, "Wow, I have a trendy disease. Is it possible I really have it or is it just caused by my brain trying to distract me from a real problem (e.g. I'm unhappily married). Hm...am I really that weak minded? Am I just a statistic in a fad ailment? Am I that much of a loser?"

Really think it over. Is something bugging me? (There's always something.) Is it all in my head?

In about a week my "ailment" went away.

Of course if you had a real accident/physical injury this won't work. But pains/strains/ailments from nowhere are probably psychosomatic.

*I actually helped a friend*
    He had neck pain... I gave him this speech... I checked in with him a month later.... he said pain was ALL gone but gave credit to his new pillow. Hm, maybe I didn't help him...

:mexican:

15. No Mercy

No Mercy Active Member

Reputations:
    "How is it possible that Howard can constantly try to sell this theory?"

He probably got free treatment for plugs or a percentage of book sales. I really wouldn't put it past him. He LOVES free stuff and marbles.

16. ryanv1978

ryanv1978 New Member

Reputations:
    my crazy mother in law read the book; that was all the further proof I needed that there was nothing to see here.

17. horsefacebetho

horsefacebetho Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well this is coming from a man who as far as I know never did a day of heavy lifting "man's work"in his life. Tell a roofer or ditch digger or warehouse employee that it's all in their head. It's all in HOWARD'S head. He has no reason to ever feel pain in any part of his body because he treats himself like a princess. That's like Robin always yelling at the staff for their meal choices. Well guess what? She's obese and has cancer lumps and can't go to work, while these guys are still functioning like normal. You know all that fat didn't come from eating a sprig of celery. She's downing big macs to get that big. Allegedly.

18. Cum Burrito

Cum Burrito Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i read sarno's book- whether you buy into it or not, it is a pretty interesting read
    my back pain eased after a few days of rest, and would have whether i read the damn book or not