Howard assking Lorne Michaels again.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Morrisb, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's a comic genius. His mind. Blah blah blah. But, Howchie can't exactly pinpoint what he does. :rolleye:

If anything some of the biggest people made it DESPITE being on SNL. Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Larry David.

Everyone who's in the click like Sandberg, Fallon, Myers etc -> Unfunny.

2. Vdrummer35

Vdrummer35 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The wig will fail again. :c

3. hollywoodrose

hollywoodrose Member VIP

Reputations:
    I remember an episode when Steve Martin hosted and he went to Lorne and ran a bunch of word pairs by him and asked his advice on which one was funnier. One of them was, "which is funnier, 'chicken noodle' or 'gumbo'"? And Lorne goes in his constipated way of speaking, "guhm-bo". That to me sums up Lorne's "comedy". Chicken noodle is 1000x funnier of a phrase - first of all, chickens are one of the funniest animals. And second, noodle is both a funny word and a funny food.

Lorne's whole approach to comedy is this pretentious idea of "smart comedy". Meaning, the funniest thing is the one that isn't funny at all. So things are more funny the less funny they are. And the people who don't get it can be treated like they're dumb or don't get the subtle "genius". And if there's a hipster political or cultural context to it it's even better for them. And also because the word is associated with jazz and black musicians and culture so he thinks it makes him seem cooler. And this to me is why Lorne isn't funny - he's too afraid and takes himself too seriously to actually enjoy comedy the way it is. By the way, I just made an awesome shrimp seafood fille' gumbo a few weeks back and it was awesome. I love cajun food and I'm musician and huge jazz/New Orleans fan, so this isn't anything against that. I just think Lorne Michaels is a pretentious ass and it takes away from what could be a better show.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  4. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Lorne's a cocksucker. And he's about as funny at Howard at this point.

If you asked (under truth serum) most of the SNL writers from back in the day, they'd say that they did what they wanted and he contributed nothing to the process.

5. EddyG

EddyG MORON Banned User

Reputations:
    This is why he constantly books SNL people.

6. dalecooper

dalecooper Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where do they learn to behave like this? Is it written in the Torah that they have to support each other every way possible, even when it lacks any subtlety or makes any sense?

7. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The last guy whom I thought was funny on snl was will ferrall.

Tina Fay can be funny at times but she's hilghy overrated. Same with Whig and Rudolph. They basically fall into the funny for a woman category.

Fallon is aweful and Meyers is worse

8. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Fallon is awful? Let me guess, you think Conan and Letterman are the 2nd Coming, right?

9. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:

The last edgy person on there was Norm McDonald. Even Tina Fey who's a Lorn asskisser but I liked 30 Rock said Norm was the last edgy person they had on there.

Rudolph and Wig are unfunny without the others. Brides Maid was cute but not the best comedy ever like people tried to make it seem. Will Ferrell's movies are right on par with Adam Sandler's. "Oh he has another movie again..Wow. :eek:"

10. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The only entertaining thing about that awful "SNL on Stern" special a few months ago was listening to Wiggy completely change his opinion of Lorne Michaels. One minute Howard said he was a jerk and questioned his talent, the next he called him a genius and great guy. Pretty funny listening to him go back and forth.