Howard Has A Third Year Contract Option, Does Sirius XM?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jan 26, 2013.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Howard's mentioned a couple of times that he can leave at the end of this year if he wants. It would make sense that SiriusXM also has a buyout option at the end of the year as well. When Howard signed the contract Mel and Greenstein ran the show and his Hampton's cronies like Leon Black were on the board so he figured there's no way they'd option him out. With the new regime in place anything's possible. It could be the reason he's all of a sudden tweaking his show and working on the 101 content.

2. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I would give anything for that to be true, for Malone to can his ass, and for the money to be used to bring back Fangoria Radio, Fred Schneider's First Wave show, and the original Hard Attack DJs and their metal show.

3. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If this is true, Wiggy is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

4. Thedomina

Thedomina Unfriendly

Reputations:
    It is odd all this renewed effort for his "second" job, that he hates and "just wants out". Some people can earn big bucks and walk away and enjoy it (joe pesci, gary shandling) , others cant.

5. Dead Air Dave

Dead Air Dave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What if 100 or 101 becomes comedy central radio LOL

6. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As of January 2014:
    H100 is now OutQ100 (H101 cancelled)
    O&A 100/O&A 101
    MLB 100/NFL 101

Howard's legacy/imprint is so worthless, it's a corpse they need to BURY asap.

7. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    why not, Howard stated that the radio thing was part-time now, full steam ahead with AGT.

8. Howard103

Howard103 Member

Reputations:
    It would be awesome if they got rid of Howard, Robin, and Booey (I would say Fred, but he's more likeable than those 3 assholes), replaced them and kept all the behind the scenes staff... That would be such a kick in the nuts to Howard :D

9. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    You're right that anything's possible, especially with Black out of the picture as he was one of Stern's biggest supporters.

However with Sirius / XM doing fairly well I would think they'll just stand pat with what they have and let Stern finish out his contract.
    If the company takes a turn for the worse, that could change.

10. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Its just Howard bullshit.
    The first contract with Sirius had no 3-5 year options.

In his terrestrial radio contracts he usually had a raise each year, and year 3-5 optional with huge raises.

Only reason why Howard would have an option for year 3-5 is if he believes he can get more money. If Howard have 3-5 year options it means that SiriusXM can cancel him WITHOUT COST. This means that this is the last year and would explain why he works so hard.

The biggest problem with that theory is all other people that are hired for 5 years.

11. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Likely.

Wiggy may have the option to walk away unencumbered at the 3 year point, probably except for a no-compete clause for 2014-2015. I doubt SiriusXM has a similar reverse option. They may have a Stern buyout clause, but I'm sure Buchwald negotiated it as a 70% minimum of remaining contract. I doubt Malone would have ever approved such a contract if he had already been in charge, but he wasn't and he's stuck with it now.

I personally think Wiggy has very few loyal, regular listeners remaining, and even fewer who would outright cancel if Stern departed early. But given the relatively small difference between buyout and retention, I doubt SiriusXM will take the chance.

12. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie 100/101

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Fuck yes, assuming they hire someone good to program it, because Artie will put in zero effort or else get pressured and overdose/attempt suicide again. An Artie & Norm morning or afternoon drive show is my ideal Stern replacement.

14. Big Bird

Big Bird New Member

Reputations:
    No chance. Howard isn't leaving any marbles on the table. And I don't see Sirius management cutting him either.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  15. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    This is true, but we can still hope that justice will be served. John Malone is the last real threat to Howard, because he needs that radio show to (falsely) sell networks on the idea that beating his fans over the head with shills (AGT) is worth their money. The future is now, or something like that.

16. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
    "Is it two companies or one, Robin?" :oy2:

17. washam

washam Active Member

Reputations:
    Don't forget that Homo Howie is suing Sirius. I would think that if he was honestly fearful of his future with Sirius being cut short, he would probably drop his frivolous lawsuit. If he goes through with the suit and wins, or loses and it costs Sirius a fortune, Malone may cut anchor with Stern out of spite.

Also, I wouldn't doubt it if Malone is currently trying to get a more accurate depiction of Stern's audience size/"ratings". Assuming THSS's numbers are as bad as many of us believe, that may be all the reason Malone needs to send the Wig's ass packin'.

18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    0.0 chance Stern would ever leave any easy marbles on the table.
    I highly doubt Don would give Sirius a way to boot the wig to the curb.
    I think Sterns plan was always to delegate the revolution to his people to whip up lots of endless fake filler. He allows them to work outside the show as long as it creates hours of radio filler.
    My question is does Sterns contract give him more days off this year?
    Will he disappear from his shitty radio job for a month at a time this year?
    Is he preparing his staff for life after stern. I gotta believe Sterns next radio contract will never be close to the money he is earning now.
    Stern ain't paying Booey 800+ thousand a year so Booey will need to have a 2nd job to maintain his amazing monkey life when Stern signs his next radio deal......Stern will never retire from radio.

19. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :jj:

20. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree that Stern will never leave any easy marbles on the table.

But I seriously question whether Sirius/XM will make Howard any kind of offer after this contract ends. And while terrestrial radio might be interested in Howard once again, he will probably have to take a substantial paycut.

I'm very interested to see how it plays out.