Howard: How is that supposed to sell more subscriptions?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by rapbastardz, May 1, 2012.

1. rapbastardz

rapbastardz Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    It infuriates me every time Howard criticizes any and all special programing offered on the other Sirius channels. To any new idea, live concert or weekend special Howard scoffs, “How is that supposed to sell more subscriptions?”

It pains me to realize that Howard only sees value in selling NEW subscriptions and miserably fails to realize that KEEPING subscribers happy should be just as important of a goal.

Most of the other channels on Sirius are constantly trying to keep their product fresh and interesting to keep their subscribers happy and entertained, thus maintaining their subscriptions. Conversely, Howard sought only to “sell subscriptions”and once the fishes were hooked, rather than continuously work to keep them, Howard “pissed on (his) fans.”

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Splash

Splash Huge Member VIP

Reputations:
    Didn't read lol

3. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    He doesn't understand the concept. Much like his contract.

4. rapbastardz

rapbastardz Member

Reputations:
    Sirius trying and good; Howard lazy and bad.

5. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    Howard doesn't get paid extra for a low churn rate.

6. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard just figures that once your a subscriber your always a subscriber. He was saying on the same note that you should take all the money thrown into having these "specials" and put it into advertising, such as billboards for siriusxm. He doesn't get it, that if you put in more quality to your product, people will buy more of it, and also people will talk about and get their friends and family to buy it.

7. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howie was bonused on new subscriber rates (which he only met once), it's not like he was giving any money back if someone left!

8. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Oh, you mean like a lot of us did in 2006? :whistle:

Howard is the King of All Nothingness...

9. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard was only complaining about that recent Springsteen concert that SIRIUS put on because, according to him, they were using his budget money for it. Otherwise, he couldn't care less, he's already paid and could be broadcasting to just Bobo and Maryann for the rest of his contract. No incentive = no eye of the tiger.

10. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Howard could care less about whatever happens on Sirius if it doesn't result in Mo Money Mo Money in his pocket!

11. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    That's probably how it will end.

12. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    It's also lost on Howard that more than 80% of NEW subscriptions come from car sales. Those people get anywhere from three months to a year free and then decide whether to pay up. If there isn't a decent range of programming including the specials and so forth they aren't go to buy in. Howard is so out of touch he probably thinks there's still big displays of satelite radio gear at Best Buy and Radio Shack when in fact Sirius no longer produces that shitty equipment only XM does.

13. MarvelComics85

MarvelComics85 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He also thought shots of Bianca wouldn't appear in Hamptons magazines. What do you expect? ;)

14. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He got bonus for hitting 2-4-6-8 and 10 million subscribers. About 250 million dollars. Its all in the law suite.

15. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Its amazing that SiriusXM have so many subscribers. What does the service offer that I cant get from the net? 20 million computer illiterate persons who subscribe?

16. TSSTaylor

TSSTaylor Active Member

Reputations:
    I don't think a lot of the concerts bring in many subscribers. I agree with Howard on that. They do bring a lot of publicity and SiriusXM loves being included in press releases.

That said Howard and O&A are probably the best radio on the service but both shit on the service over and over. That's great they are able to voice their opinion so much but Talk Radio on Satellite is one of the only places people get paid millions to shit on their bosses and customers. To me it's the equivalent of going to McDonalds and the cashier just telling you how much the place sucks, and that they aren't getting paid enough.

The Stern fans may be waning in interest but subscribers continue to flow in. Just like BethSucks writes, it's almost all coming from new cars. More and more cars have Satellite from the factory and a higher percentage of people keep their subscription going after the trial period.

In my experience the Stern and O&A fans were the most loyal subscribers of all from 2005-2007 and then things took a turn whether it's something management did or otherwise, those subscribers are no longer easy going. It's the new car subscribers that just pay the bill and are easier to retain. In that regard the business has changed a ton.

17. rapbastardz

rapbastardz Member

Reputations:
    There were other occasions like a weekend special revolving around a rock band from Japan. Howard scoffed that since they were new and he hadn't heard of them there was no way the special would bring in new subscribers.

As a subscriber, I appreciated being exposed to something new.

18. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The concerts are probably aimed towards on-air talent, Sirius employees, advertising customers, and major investors. It's just kind of a bonus that regular schlub subscribers can attend as well.

19. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    It's people in cars, I know a lot of people with the service, none are Stern fans or talk radio fans of any kind, most listen only to music and some are rabid fans of the service. I think a lot of us on this board who were or are Stern fans think of radio mostly as talk shows where the typical person/subscriber is simply a passive listener of music.

20. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I'm guessing part of it, also, is that people are subtly blackmailed into re-upping, since they don't like the idea of that thing in front of their face on the dashboard suddenly losing a major function.