Howard is a shitty interviewer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Beth143nacho, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The whole "howard is a great interviewer" is such bullshit. It's literally the only branding tool left in his arsenal. Everyone already decided not to buy the rest of his bullshit, so he's latching onto trying to brand himself as a great interviewer.

Anyone find him a great interviewer?

Honkey Donkey, mape and smichal like this.
  2. blckknight60

blckknight60 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i think hes pretty damn good, gets a lot out of people usually. the sex stuff gets a little tiresome but it can be fun depending on the guests honesty

Groucho Marx, cah155 and abbypark2225 like this.
  3. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He use to be a great "listener" and could read a persons body langue like a pro poker player and would pull tidbits of information that guests would never reveal on any other platform.

Sadly, today's Howard Stern is deaf, dumb and blind.

4. bznick

bznick Hustling, Flowing, and Hating! Gold

Reputations:
    "and that's the magic of Howard... " fuck, every time I hear pedo Hein say that after an interview I want to choke slam him through a burning table.

5. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Even if I'm interested in the person being interviewed I burn out after a half hour. The new "this is your life " style of interview he has recently taken on is just embarrassing. Asking Dave Grohl about some throw away song from the 90s. Howard wants it to have some deep meaning he thinks he knows when the artist is telling him it's just random words.

6. yahoo

yahoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Way overrated. People mistake the fact that he's overprepared with background information with being a great interviewer. I almost never find him asking questions that I want to hear. He is far too solemn and never lets funny people be funny anymore. He has a habit of cutting off answers to ask more questions. He tries way too hard to inject his own experience into the experience of the guest.

I find many of his interviews tedious and not the least bit entertaining.

7. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They've already revealed his "technique": In the green room, some intern asks the guest to write down 9 things to talk about - if not it's Wikipedia time. 9 things - then he just throws any one of the topics that the interviewee provided and hope he lands something, then the usual shit just follows(money, gay, hating parents). It's every single interview since the 80's.

8. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you ever want to know how much a celebrity is worth or how big their penis is or if they consider their parents a burden, then Howchie is the go to guy.

9. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i think he is a good interviewer. most podcasts i listen to the host lets the guest go on and on with boring stories. at least howard keeps the interview moving. the downside to this is that many times he won't let the guest finish a story which would probably be interesting.

10. youknew

youknew Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    hes good at getting people to open up and uses those silly questions to get them loose so he can attack with the pseudo psychological stuff.. and he has a fantastic pace, I rarely get bored unless the guest is really boring or guarded (Fred Armisen) or he cant connect with the subject (Skrillex) but overall, he is a great interviewer IMO..

also wanted to add, I love when he gets into the persons creative process... some people complain about this, but as a creative person, this always fascinates me

smichal likes this.
  11. Henry14

Henry14 Member

Reputations:
    So, in a sense your saying he is not good?

12. Ctanner

Ctanner Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The Madonna interview was an exposure of how bad and lazy an interviewer he's become.

Listening to it I realized that his questions are either what he and Beff discuss or questions about himself.

Beff discussion question:

"isn't having fabulous friends the best thing about being famous?"

I can just picture him and the Mrs. discussing this at great length.

About himself to Madonna: "are you miserable?"
    Wha? Who asks that?

13. GivRodnyachance

GivRodnyachance Overt Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    His interviewing style is a combination of imitating the way his psychiatrist would talk to someone as well as asking questions to resolve his own neurosis. If you listen to the Larry David interview, he keeps asking Larry about his play and how he is able to deal with the stress of it and things possibly going wrongh. He is trying to understand how normal people are able to handle the stresses of life so that he can possibly figure out techniques that he can use himself in his own life. I believe Howard suffers from severe general and social anxiety which he is constantly battling.

Zelda, blindbella, smichal and 3 others like this.
  14. Quedee

Quedee Wise Ass Extraordinaire

Reputations:
    It's like he is interviewing himself. He asks and answers the questions at the same time followed by "riiight?"

15. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
  16. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    I know this is your opinion but I could not disagree with you more. Count how many times the person being interviewed says "no that's not correct" after a question, count how many times he interrupts the answer with some answer about himself or bulldozers into the next inane question and listen to how uncomfortable the guest is when he puts his spin/view on the creativity the guest put into a song, movie or whatever. In my opinion he sucks. Listen to Ron Bennington to hear what a good interviewer sounds like.

17. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    This. And he cuts off/interrupts the guest just when they're about to say something interesting.

18. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:

And to this list that he also wasn't the only one in the room talking giving him time to read and digest Will's questions and tone down an outrageous question from Artie or a sitting in comedian to get the guest comfortable to answer a less salacious one from Howard.

The HSS was a great interviewer. Howard isn't. Which is clear for everyone to see now that it's only him in there.

Honkey Donkey, Tinman and PelicanWig like this.
  19. codeine

codeine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He was a great interviewer years back. In the beginning of Sirius he was great. Around 2011 it started going downhill. Up until the last few years he is just fucking terrible. Dementia is starting to set in and all he asks now is Wikipedia questions and drones on like Larry King.

Honkey Donkey and Roadie like this.
  20. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    No he's just Meh. Good but not the best interviewer ever. Especially when he is excited about a guest, he just plows over their answers and doesn't HEAR what they just said. He did it for John Goodman, Dan Akroyd, the Madonna one... most all of the big stars. He just talks and doesn't let them answer and then doesn't hear what they said.

The best interview he did in a long time was the recent Conan one, maybe cause he doesn't think Conan is that big of a deal, or because he's been on a lot, but I loved all the stories Conan was telling and there was more of give and take rather than plowing through psycho analytical bullshit questions.

Sometimes I hear a guest, say Kimmel (who we've heard interviewed a dozen times) on Howard one day, and the next day they are on Fresh Air being interviewed by Terri Gross. I figure after 12 times interviewed by Howard the greatest interviewer ever there wouldn't be anything new to hear. But the Fresh Air interview is always so much more interesting and has more information about the person than, Don't you feel annoyed when they ask you to audition for a part? WHO THE FUCK cares about don't you feel annoyed when they ask you to audition ?? HOW MANY TIMES DOES HE HAVE TO ASK THAT INANE QUESTION?? oh yeah, man , that's fascinating .... the best question ever... or Don't you get mad at roles you turned down that other people had success with? Yep yep, awesome question. Great interview :confused:

Guacamole and PelicanWig like this.