Howard & PHiSH - The Complete Saga

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by nearly.normal, Oct 25, 2014.

1. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    All 3 days of discussion...

Because I know you can't get enough of either one... :c

2. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wonder what this is all about. Howard doesn't talk about anything that much unless it benefits him in someway.
    Is there a phish channel coming to sirius/xm?

HORSETOOTHED likes this.
  3. MISERABLE66

MISERABLE66 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In a few years hell be claiming he revived Phish and then theyll be licking his balls for bringing them to main stream.

4. nearly.normal

Reputations:

The amount of feedback he got from Wolfie's interviews probably shocked him. Phish fans can be bratty and vocal. He may have just been catering to a raucous audience he didn't realize he had.

5. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Did Phish steal Beth's boyfriend?

John Mahlin likes this.
  6. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    I don't care if you like Phish or not Robin needs to die.

7. PelicanWig

Reputations:
    die Robin die

Murcielago and XaltedSmoke like this.
  8. PelicanWig

Reputations:
    The only funny part of that collaboration is the fatest fucking cancer stricken "vegan" who has not one meaningful relationship with anyone on this planet and whose completely devoid of any talent, including reading a newspaper, making fun of what others enjoy.

9. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    There's only one thing more boring than Howard -- Phish.

10. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    well definitely stfu

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  11. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    WTF does Hamptons have in common with Phish? Did he ever follow or comment on the Dead? Fuck no.......

When are these "Guests" Going to realize that they are just being used?

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  12. Icculus

Icculus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ever notice everyone that blindly hates phish has the WORST taste in music?

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  13. nearly.normal

Reputations:
    A message from a phish phanatic
    by Fox 5's Steve Lacy

[​IMG]

The 28 minute ‘Chalkdust Torture’ (aka the Randall’s Chalkdust) that Phish opened the second set of the final night of it’s triumphant three night run at Randalls Island in New York City this past July was precisely the type of unexpected musical highlight that has inspired me (and many of my closest friends) to chase the band across the country for the past 20 years.

At the time, I was blissfully unaware that the brilliantly disarming, subculture-trolling Howard Stern show contributor Wolfie had been working the parking lot outside Philly’s Mann Theatre a few nights earlier, gathering sound bytes that would make their way onto the show earlier this week.

When those clips finally made air, I took a deep breath and prepared myself to be disappointed. As a huge Stern fan, I knew what was coming.

Wolfie had managed to find and give voice to the most cartoonishly wasted, spent-sounding subsection of fans he could find. That’s his role. It was great radio.

But it’s not actually all that representative of who I tend to run into when I’m at shows. Sure there are plenty of ‘wooks’ there. But what I see a lot more of, is fellow fans like myself, faking their way through ‘real life’ in their 30’s and 40’s, not quite fitting into their ‘Carini’ t-shirts as well as they used to, and seeking temporary passage back into their youth for a night or two.

The fascinating thing is, as a diehard Phish and Stern fan, I’ve long thought about how much the band and Howard, as well as their respective fan communities, have in common.

“They’re like the Grateful Dead without the hits.” - Howard Stern

Like all analogies involving Phish and the Dead, this one was doomed from the start. And it was clearly meant mostly to provoke and get laughs - but it does highlight the biggest reason behind both bands’ staying power: their ability to cultivate long-term fans by making sure each show is unique. Fans are afraid of what they’ll miss if they don’t catch every show.

Which is pretty much exactly the same reason I became such a huge Howard fan.

Howard 100 News interviews Phish Fans

Would Howard appreciate the music of Phish?

That’s something I’ve actively thought about long before Wolfie’s interviews injected the band into the Sterniverse. While on some level I’d like to believe Howard would immediately be wowed by each member’s 30 + years together spent collectively honing their undeniable musical chops, it’s probably much more likely a weak vocal, nonsensical lyrical snippet or jam that takes too long to develop would only serve to irritate him, thus confirming his worst preconceived notions of the band in the process.

Which would essentially be the equivalent of trying to get someone into the Stern Show, by playing a clip of High Pitch Erik pretending to be Kelly Clarkson. Like the Randall’s ‘Chalkdust,' it’s music to the ears of the initiated but probably not the ideal vehicle to convert a skeptic.

The one thing I do know, is that any member of the band, but particularly Trey & Page together would be excellent guests for the show.
    Howard did manage to make one brilliant observation about the band though, when he pointed out how insane it would be for anyone to quit and leave all that money on the table. When informed that they actually had broken up briefly a decade earlier, he said “it just goes to show you how dumb everyone is.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

And who knows, if the whole band does ever make it in-studio someday, maybe they could finally compose Wolfie his long-overdue theme song.

[​IMG]

14. greyt

greyt Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I hate Phish and I have good taste in music. at least I think I do?

EndOfLine likes this.
  15. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Can't say I've noticed that, but I have noticed that those who hate them after hearing their music, usually have pretty good taste in music.

EndOfLine, ohmicah and TheWonk like this.
  16. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    He used to rip on the Dead all the time in the 90's. I was listening to a show from '91 recently and he went off when Robin was doing a news story on them.

I saw the Dead around that time and didn't really get the live thing but I liked a few songs. Phish I could just never get into.

17. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Robin...is Phish one band or two ?

Brokenbad and nearly.normal like this.
  18. Icculus

Icculus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ever notice people that claim they listened to phish and hate them, never really listened to them? and they never say what they listen to?

19. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Don't care for Phish, but Stern's love or hate for them will not impact their lives whatsoever.

20. Lester

Lester Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Dude, I get it your a Phish fan. If they are so great you don't have to keep defending them. Do you write "Phish Rules" on your trapper keeper?

EndOfLine, RonHeinzkaboot and TheWonk like this.