Howard Stern coy when asked about expiring contract with SiriusXM

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by CharlotteW, Nov 21, 2015.

1. CharlotteW

CharlotteW Member

Reputations:
    Howard Stern coy when asked about expiring contract with SiriusXM
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Saturday, November 21, 2015, 6:44 PM

We’ve found one thing Howard Stern doesn’t like to talk about – the status of his contract negotiations with SiriusXM.
    The legendary radio host turned uncharacteristically coy when asked if he had decided to re-sign with the satellite station.
    “We're talking to people about the future,” Stern told Confidenti@l at the 2015 Get Your Escape On gala at the Pierre Hotel.
    “I'm interested in continuing working, but we'll see where it lands.
    “You don't know till the contract's signed,” Stern added.
    “I can just say I'm interested in continuing on the radio. Where I end up, I don't know yet.”
    Stern was believed to be making $80 million a year under his latest contract, which expires next month.
    The 61-year-old Stern said he never imagined a career in radio could make him fabulously rich.
    “I never ever thought radio was a money career,” Stern said.

“I never thought I was good on the radio. I worked at it and hoped I would get good enough that audiences would appreciate what I was doing. It was never like waking up in the morning and going, 'Yeah radio! That's where you can make a lot of money.' It's a very tough profession.”
    Stern praised Donald Trump as one of his favorite guests.
    “He was always great because he came from an honest place,” Stern said. “I know him as a great guest and I had him on years before everyone was having him on. Now it's a different kind of game.”
    Stern laughed when we asked what he would do if a President Trump offered him a job as UK ambassador.
    “I don't think anyone would take me seriously in that role nor am I looking for that,” Stern said.
    “I'm a radio guy through and through, that's what I do. The one thing I do well in life is entertain people in their car and try to make them laugh and try to make them think. That's my real calling.
    “If he needs an ambassador of radio,” Stern added, “I'll be there.”
    Are you listening, Donald?

2. DiamondGoddess

DiamondGoddess Born Ready for My Close-Up! Gold

Reputations:
    Donald bettah be willing to hire Jackie, Artie, et al, to make this doosh funny again!!!

Radio is dying anyway.

ARM, dalecooper, cetiya and 2 others like this.
  3. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Whatever it is, Howard gets a big chunk of change. While Howard's show still sometimes is good, it's not consistently good at this point, and it surely isn't the future of radio anymore.

I'd rather see that $80M doled out -- say the top 20 comedy podcasters all get a show and can compete to be the top dog. Start something fresh.

Honkey Donkey, ARM, Snort and 5 others like this.
  4. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A reporter asks him a question they know he can't legally answer. So dumb.

5. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    “He was always great because he came from an honest place,” Stern said. “I know him as a great guest and I had him on years before everyone was having him on. Now it's a different kind of game.”

Always crowbarring in how he invented everything. Add Donald Trump to the things Howard invented thread.

6. Rhinosaucerous

Rhinosaucerous Self-hating Millennial

Reputations:
    Man that's a cupcake interview if I ever saw one. Ask him about that fucking black mop on his head then pull it before Ronnie can intervene!

7. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...if he signed with sirius or had a deal that just needed to be signed he could talk about that. what i thought was funny is howard saying "im a radio guy, thats what i do" well i guess he figured out that nobody wants him for tv so after trying to break thru to tv and failing howard is all about the radio. pathetic used up cuckled hump.

8. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not retiring because staying home everyday painting surrounded by Beth and a bunch of fucking cats would drive him crazy.

9. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Aren't most podcast listeners conditioned to NOT pay for the product? Could they drag their listeners over to a pay service? I'm skeptical.

I listen to a few select podcasts pretty regularly, but I cancelled Sirius four years ago and none of those podcasts could entice me to go back to satellite. I'd just find something else.

blindbella and ARM like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Donald Trump is running for President in my honor...."

blindbella, ARM, funnymoney and 7 others like this.
  11. killallposers

Reputations:
    There's a law against answering whether you've signed a contract or not? Why was this law not in place in 2004 when Howard announced his Sirius contract a year+ before it started? Howard's not just not answering the question, he's avoiding discussing it. That's not how it's been in the past. Last contract, he might not have announced he re-signed until the last minute, but he wouldn't shut up about it leading up to it. It's pretty obvious there's been no agreement made and it's just a matter of whether one of them backs down at the last minute or not.

12. Shart Garfunkel

Shart Garfunkel I brought the magic suitcase Gold

Reputations:
    Robin, these two day weeks are killing me.

ARM, funnymoney and SalsMasterShake like this.
  13. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    :cwl:"Get your escape on" :cwl:

ice cream and Tracy like this.
  14. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...hes got nothing going with sirius. i dont think anyone is going to sign him for another big pay day. howard is like the resentful carpenter that built 1 last house for his boss and did a shitty job. when he was done building it his boss gave it to him as a gift. thats kind of what howard has done to his career, his legacy, his brand. :dontknow:

15. binhphuocngu

binhphuocngu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Conman doing what a conman does best. He put more creative work into those answers than he does the show. I bet he worked all weekend.

16. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    80mill a year.

17. bluedevil30

bluedevil30 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He made that announcement on the radio and simultaneously Sirius made the same announcement to the public and Wall Street. Material company announcements aren't made to reporters at a fund raiser.

ARM, Javaforgotme and Wigward like this.
  18. killallposers

Reputations:
    And I'm sure they didn't expect Howard to give them a real answer. They wanted to see how he'd respond to the topic. Of course they are going to ask.

ARM likes this.
  19. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    I think it's telling that he wants to get paid by Sirius but he's not going to give them as much live content or exclusive content (his new wen portal) but I think he's emphasizing the radio thing because he just wants to ink a deal with a Sirius
    as soon as it's signed, he will have another project like AGT or Netflix he will put all his time in.
    he lies
    wonder if he thinks he can get Colberts slot too and just play old content on Sirius

notice how he doesn't endorse Trump, his landlord and friend and long time guest. He couldn't do him that favor, he will only endorse Clinton

ARM, killallposers and R.P. McMurphy like this.
  20. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    ........For The PG rated Howard Stern Podcast 3 days a week, 40 weeks a year.

Kinda overpriced.