Howard Stern Diagnosis: Borderline Personality Disorder

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by footguy, Feb 21, 2012.

1. footguy

footguy Active Member

Reputations:
    He exhibits all of the traits of a classic BPD. He has consistently demonstrated a tendency to "split" his relationships into a black and white all good versus all bad category----classic for a BPD.

Below is the definition of BPD from the DSM ---look at how well he fits:

A pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image and affects, as well as marked impulsivity, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:
    1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
    2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.
    3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.
    4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., promiscuous sex, excessive spending, eating disorders, binge eating,substance abuse, reckless driving). Note: Do not include suicidal or self-injuring behavior covered in Criterion 5
    5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, threats or self-injuring behavior such as cutting, interfering with the healing of scars (excoriation) or picking at oneself.
    6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days).
    7. Chronic feelings of emptiness
    8. Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).
    9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation, delusions or severe dissociative symptoms

2. vaginapoosie

vaginapoosie black magic woman VIP

Reputations:
  3. footguy

footguy Active Member

Reputations:
    Does this make it less true?

4. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    no. the fact that you are trying to make it fit as a diagnosis by underlining key words does, however.

5. footguy

footguy Active Member

Reputations:
    You mean using the DSM as it was intended?

6. Yellowfever

Yellowfever New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    10. Closeted queen.

7. vaginapoosie

Reputations:
    if he's going to have any of the personality disorders, it's going to be narcissistic. and he is alreayd aware he has that.

8. footguy

footguy Active Member

Reputations:

:giggle:

9. TriumphVodka

TriumphVodka New Member

Reputations:
    what is personality disorder then?

I always see Borderline but not actual straight up personality disorder.

10. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    He is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. #'s 4 and 5 on this do not fit him in any way.

This was dealt with earlier in another thread.

11. Ipecac

Ipecac New Member

Reputations:
    I think you may be misunderstanding: "Borderline" is the specific name of a specific kind of personality disorder. It doesn't mean "almost."

It's confusing as hell, because it sounds like you're saying "well, he almost has a personality disorder"

12. MarvelComics85

MarvelComics85 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe that!

13. Ipecac

Ipecac New Member

Reputations:
    I agree, but those aren't necessarily as far off as you imply: he allegedly had a "tear" of promiscuous sexual behavior, seems to have an extreme obsession with weight/body image, and claims to have put a gun to his head before

Again, I think you're right, but it's not quite that those symptoms don't fit "at all"

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I see 5 of 9 as a match. Criteria 1, 4, and 5 don't stand out as a match. That's still enough to qualify. The instabiliity of relationships and switching from love to hate rapidly really stands out.

btw, one can have multiple disorders, you don't have to be just one or the other.

15. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    Well, I don't believe his "tear" that he went on. I think that was BS PR (Givens, Everheart) to cover the fact he been bangin Beff since the "bought a car for a stripper" days. I also think the suicide stuff is bunk, just an attempt to seem human. Weight/body issues, sure, but that is more a desire to attain perfection than the usual "I hate myself" eating disorder stuff.

He is far to cold and calculated for Borderline. Although, he IS very close to being a woman nowadays. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder Go to controversies.

"Gender

The diagnosis of BPD has been criticized from a feminist perspective.[SUP][97][/SUP] This is because some of the diagnostic criteria/symptoms of the disorder uphold common gender stereotypes about women. For example, the criteria of "a pattern of unstable personal relationships, unstable self-image, and instability of mood," can all be linked to the stereotype that women are "neither decisive nor constant".[SUP][98][/SUP] The question has also been raised of why women are three times more likely to be diagnosed with BPD than men.[SUP][n 9][/SUP] Some think that people with BPD commonly have a history of sexual abuse in childhood.[SUP][99][/SUP] One feminist critique suggests that BPD is a stigmatizing diagnosis that can sometimes evoke negative responses from health care providers, and additionally, that women who have survived sexual abuse in childhood are therefore sometimes re-traumatized by any such abusive mental health service.[SUP][100]"[/SUP]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  16. flailingfish

flailingfish New Member

Reputations:
    I've narrowed down his disorder to two different conditions.

1 he's a fucking asshole

2 he's a giant cum guzzling douche

17. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    #4 he has an eating disorder. He claims to have gone on a pussy tear, and excessive spending on his homes.
    #5 he has said that he has put a gun in his mouth at least on two occasions.

18. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    Excessive spending on homes isn't what they are talking about. That spending could be considered an investment. They mean impulse spending. Bling, clothes, cars, etc. Spending to attempt to fill the gaping hole inside you. That aint Howard. Borderline is all about IMPULSE, reacting emotionally w/o thinking things through.

There is not a single thing in the Symptoms and Causes here that does not clearly fit Howard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder If anything, maybe the emotional abuse wasn't severe, but these types are usually hypersensitive, so moderate emotional abuse could be perceived as severe.

[h=2]Symptoms[/h] Symptoms of this disorder include, but are not limited to:

• Reacts to criticism with anger, shame, or humiliation
    • May take advantage of others to reach his or her own goal
    • Tends to exaggerate their own importance, achievements, and talents
    • Imagines unrealistic fantasies of success, beauty, power, intelligence, or romance
    • Requires constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
    • Easily becomes jealous
    • Lacks empathy and disregards the feelings of others
    • Obsessed with oneself
    • Mainly pursues selfish goals
    • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
    • Is easily hurt and rejected
    • Sets unrealistic goals
    • Wants "the best" of everything
    • Appears as tough-minded or unemotional [SUP][3][/SUP]
    The symptoms of Narcissistic personality disorder can be similar to the traits of individuals with strong self-esteem and confidence; differentiation occurs when the underlying psychological structures of these traits are considered pathological. Narcissists have such an elevated sense of self-worth that they value themselves as inherently better than others. Yet, they have a fragile self-esteem and cannot handle criticism, and will often try to compensate for this inner fragility by belittling or disparaging others in an attempt to validate their own self-worth. It is this sadistic tendency that is characteristic of narcissism as opposed to other psychological conditions affecting level of self-worth. [SUP][4][/SUP]
    [h=2][edit] Causes[/h] The cause of this disorder is unknown, according to Groopman and Cooper. However, they list the following factors identified by various researchers as possibilities:[SUP][5][/SUP]

• An oversensitive temperament at birth is the main symptomatic chronic form
    • Being praised for perceived exceptional looks or abilities by adults
    • Excessive admiration that is never balanced with realistic feedback
    • Excessive praise for good behaviors or excessive criticism for bad behaviors in childhood
    • Overindulgence and overvaluation by parents
    • Severe emotional abuse in childhood
    • Unpredictable or unreliable caregiving from parents
    • Valued by parents as a means to regulate their own self-esteem

19. hollywoodrose

hollywoodrose Member VIP

Reputations:

That's very true - Howard is definitely NPD (I think my old man has NPD as well - he was severely abused as a child (mom was too but not physically) and he did and he did a number on me as well) but I don't think he's BPD. My ex-fiance's mother was BPD and it's really a serious condition. Not that personality disorders aren't a big deal, but borderline's are really serious. People with BPD alternate between being extremely childlike and almost psychotic in their positive feelings and then can turn on a dime and become psychotically violent towards the same person for reasons that are almost impossible to understand on the surface. Kathy Bates' character in Stephen King's Misery was BPD, and Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction also had it.

It's easy to look at the symptoms in most psychiatric disorders and find them in just about everyone. Most people can relate to having symptoms of impulsivity, depression, anxiety, identity questions, etc at some point in life. It's the reasons for the symptoms and their extremity, duration and their presence with other symptoms in a group that make a diagnosis (sorry for blabbering - I got a psych degree from Clark in worcester so sometimes I sound like an egg-head). That's why most people who study psych or medicine end up thinking they have every illness at one point - of course stuff like schizophrenia most people can easily rule out.

But people with BPD are scary as hell and you usually know it if they have it - actually, Angelina Jolie might have it as well. Lots of times people with it end up either super-dependent and obsessive or switching to violent or suicidal behavior based on some internal pathological issue. It's also usually women who have it. A lot of times a chick might see her child or spouse leave for the day, or for a trip and then suddenly feel totally disconnected from them, as if the other person is dead and then suddenly attempt suicide - very strange (Angelina had one of these episodes right before she tied the knot with Billy Bob Thornton). K, I'm worn out, time for a late dinner and some LA Noire.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. blottomsup

blottomsup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :jj: