Howard stern enabling Artie ?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by mike25, Jul 16, 2012.

1. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    old clips but i thought it was relevant with all the rumors of artie coming back as a guest.

basically norm macdonald claims that the show killed hank the angry dwarf, and is doing similar things to artie. bob levy is also of the same opinion.

howard argues that he isn't artie's daddy, artie is going to do what he wants to do.

As for what i think, artie definitly had a bad history (mad tv) and was very stubborn. that said, it is clear that many people who work for stern seem to suffer from depression and obseity while their life falls apart around them. unless i had fred's job, i don't think i would ever want to work there.

[video=youtube;HOIMvf2gDa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIMvf2gDa8[/video]

[video=youtube;CVv2xYbDtrw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVv2xYbDtrw[/video]

2. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i dont think howard did anything wrong. if anything the fact that artie had to be at work at 6 am and be able to talk kept him more sober than he would have been without the show. howard did tell artie he could take a month off to go to rehab and also referred him to a psychiatrist.

3. dalecooper

dalecooper Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard bought Artie a case of Jack Daniels as a gift.

4. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    Norm felt that artie was being treated like a wack packer and had to live up to the persona of his on air character. while i agree that howard isn't artie's keeper, it is telling that people who are connected to the show and artie, blame howard.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Artie fucks his life up again, are we going to blame Nick this time? When do we just fucking blame Artie?

6. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i don't think it will happen again. i have a theory that things start to go to shit when artie isn't motivated and has too cushiony of a job. see him on twitter, i kind of got the impression that he needs to try harder now. i for the most part feel like you, but me and you are just listeners. norm and bob might be privy to other stuff :dontknow:

7. terrell

terrell New Member

Reputations:
    dawgsaloon.com/showthread.php/31079-Breaking-Artie-Lange-spent-a-night-in-jail-in-Paris

8. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    This. And anyone who read Too Fat To Fish knows that Artie's going to do what Artie's going to do and no amount of pampering and love will stop him from fucking up a good thing.

9. mike25

mike25 Active Member VIP

Reputations:
    i should check that forum.

i should have qualified, artie will probably blow up at people, but i do think he is going to try to keep clean and out of trouble.
    getting into a huge fight with his girlfriend isn't exactly what i was thinking about.

10. CAPTAIN KIRK

CAPTAIN KIRK New Member

Reputations:
    ^ this. Only a matter of time til he alienates "Adrienne", attacks Nick & loses the shore house & Hoboken condo. He will wind up living in the apt above Fulato's garage

11. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I enjoy your posts GM, but this line of thinking is incomplete.

Of course Artie is 100% responsible for Artie, just as Howard was 100% responsible for his reaction to Artie's addictions.

Howard's reaction was to exploit, enable, and then play dumb about Artie's addictions for fun and profit. There's even at least one clip on youtube of Artie claiming he needed to quit the show to go get help and straighten his life out, and Howard proceeds to guilt him back into the fold!

And Howard's certainly not looking any better in his reaction to Artie's seeming recovery, either: refusing any type of contact with him and banning all mentions of him from the show, to the point of forbidding the mere mention of his appearance at a gig a guest.............a longtime friend of the show...........came in to promote!

I would have loved to have heard that little interaction between Booey and Adam, and the look on Adam's face when Booey took him aside and said something along the lines of: "Hey Adam, Howard's just not comfortable if you mention Artie. A lot of heavy stuff went down and he feels it's best if we just.............y'know................move on. He wishes Artie well, obviously, but we don't feel it's appropriate........................".

I think all this cowardly scumbag nonsense is because Howard feels guilty....................he knows he used Artie and rode him into the ground..................and he can't man up to it.

12. Gluecifer

Gluecifer New Member

Reputations:
    Did Quincy Jones enable Artie when he was high on coke and tried to kill himself on MAD TV? Artie fucked his own life up no matter how badly you want to blame Howard.

You could also play a billion clips of Howard being supportive or Artie talking about how Howard has taken him aside off the air, and expressed concern.

Also, if Howard did turn the show into the "Lets be supportive of Artie's problems for 4 hours" like the OP wanted, Artie would've gotten pissed, or just lied.

13. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think the point to be made is that Howard wouldn't be so quick to wash himself of Artie memories if he didn't feel an insane amount of guilt. Rightfully so. Quincy Jones and the MadTV crew forced Artie to go to rehab. Howard didn't care enough to cut him off and chose to ride his coattails into the ground.

14. Gluecifer

Gluecifer New Member

Reputations:
    The Q and MadTV people didn't make Artie go to rehab, he was court ordered. Also, Howard did cut Artie off. Right before they went on break for Xmas.

And as far as "Washing his memories of Artie", wouldn't you? If you had a co-worker who compulsively lied to you and made life and work difficult for you because they're fucked up on heroin, would you be holding daily vigils about them?

15. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Nope, but you might at least mention that they're no longer locked up in a nuthouse and actually have a thriving career going. You might not go out of your way to forbid that anyone mention him. Howard's a dickface.

16. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    So you're saying that since Artie would have lied or gotten pissed that St. Howard the Eternal Victim Billionaire Doormat just shrugged his shoulders and said "might as well continue to ride him into the ground then"?

Do you really think Howard was more "concerned friend" than "enabling and exploiting for fun and profit"?

Concerned friends pick up the phone on a regular basis, both to call and take the call. Howard did, and continues to do, neither. I think Bruce fucking Springsteen has talked to Artie more than Howard has post-meltdown. Artie had to try to make amends/get some closure/apologize to Howard over Robin's death bed while visiting Robin in jail! Allegedly.

I think you just don't agree with my fundamental point that Howard's reaction to Artie was 100% Howard's responsibility, and that that is a very important fact that not only shouldn't be overlooked, it's impossible to extract from the overall situation. Hey man, you've got a terribly sick person on your hands working for you...............what are you going to do about it?

Like Paterno to Sandusky.......................if the boss would have acted at the first whiff of something being terribly wrong, a lot of damage would have been avoided. Obviously raping children is worse than a guy on drugs stabbing himself 9 times, but it's the same exact principle at work, albeit for different reasons.

Howard had a lot of sway over both Artie and the overall situation. No, he couldn't have gotten him off drugs singled-handedly, but he could have given him a "get clean or you're off the show" ultimatum among other things. Instead, he chose to pretend to turn a blind eye with one beady eye, while egging him on for the good of the show his wallet with the other, and actually guilting him to stay and NOT get help!

17. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    Thanks for the clips, mike!

Do you have Norm's appearance a couple weeks after this clip? They reference the fact that he was coming in soon and Howard would take this up with Norm. That must have been good radio. I hope Norm didn't fold.

And when was this?

18. Crazy Marcus

Crazy Marcus Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    you do realize that artie was placed on medical leave and told to get help and he attempted suicide 3 weeks later.

19. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    and only 3 years after Howard guilted him into NOT leaving the show and getting help when he expressed a desire to do so!

:clap: