Howard Stern is a victim of his own success

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by OldHowardStern, Sep 21, 2014.

1. OldHowardStern

OldHowardStern Troll Banned User

Reputations:
    We see this quite often in the sports world. Franchises like the Yankees and Lakers are an example.

When you are part of the elite, the fan base always expects championships. That is the bottom line.

I think this is what we have seen happen to Howard. Fans are expecting elite radio all the time. Based on previous championship years, you always want what you previously had. You go back in time and remember when you were elite. You remember how good it felt to be a part of something great. That feeling is very unique and at its core is something that makes you happy. Your life is better because of it.

However the reality is, you can't win every year and there are large stretches of time where elite franchises are good, average or just mediocre.

The fact remains you will always be tied to the franchise as a fan. No matter how much you bitch, moan, or whine about ownership, bum players and just plain mediocrity, you will always be loyal and you will always be a fan. You always have the hope that things will one day get better, even when all seems to be lost.

Howard stern is an elite franchise. In the 30+ years he has entertained all of us we have seen his rise from a starter franchise to elite. This was accomplished through hard work, intelligence and talent. Now recently he is going through some down years. He's not elite anymore and has ranged anywhere from really good, good, and slightly below average. But the star of the franchise is still there, and we are all still loyal.

We are all rooting for one more shot at a championship.

yaddc likes this.
  2. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

jennyb and Guacamole like this.
  3. redwolf

redwolf Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    the secret to Howards success was always his supporting cast, when krock and his other employers paid his sidekicks he was at his best, but when he hit the jackpot and was the provider for his co-talent he took the cheap route and wouldn't hire any good side kicks thus the show has become shit! there's no one to make the show funny anymore! just bobo and hanzi calls.

Mack29, AmericasJudge, jennyb and 8 others like this.
  4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Howard is like a baseball player who stayed in the game to long. A player who used to hit 300 with 45 home runs and 120 RBI's. At the end he hit 220 with 5 HR's and 30 RBI's. He became a shell of his former self.

5. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    OP is making an invalid comparison. Do entire teams reduce the number of games to 25% of the original number, while increasing the price of a ticket and not replacing players who left?

6. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
  7. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Kinda like Mike Schmidt

8. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am a champion at beer pong #ohyeah

smichal likes this.
  9. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    he wanted all the marbles

10. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    OP is half correct...Wiggy is a victim, he's a professional victim.

11. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think the exact opposite. I think Howard benefits from his past success. He is living off his reputation as a controversial shock jock who is a must listen. I think many of his remaining fans are blinded to think he is still cutting edge and relevant. The media still think he is the Howard of the 1990s.

If you changed his voice and played his show for his current die hard fans removing anything that would make it obvious that it was him, they would think his show was horrible. I have a friend who still thinks everything he does is gold and every bit is classic and when I ask him to name a classic bit in the last few years, he can't.

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I suppose your knowledge of the sports world comes from cheerleading?

scoobyla and smichal like this.
  13. GivRodnyachance

GivRodnyachance Overt Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    The op made a bad comparison because in Howard's case, he hates his boss and is going through the motions and putting in as little effort as possible in order to drive away fans and hurt the company. A slump in athletics is when a person or team just cannot seem to make things work out, even when they are trying their best.

AmericasJudge and smichal like this.
  14. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    BTW, Howard is not a sports franchise. He cannot just have a good draft and become a good broadcaster again. He doesn't have the fire anymore and it shows. He is basically going in and doing enough to get a paycheck, but he doesn't have that passion to be the best broadcaster in the world and crush all his competition. He is just happy to be in the limelight and have people suck up to him.

15. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His show is a victim of him being lazy cheap and unfunny. He had such loyal fans that were willing to pay for his show and he threw them away. Fuck him. I'm glad he is always and forever miserable.

16. bozeman

bozeman Active Member

Reputations:

A slump is season specific. Franchises go through a lot of downtime that last many years. This is not considered the slump you are talking about about.

It starts at the top, whatever the reasons are. It could be financial, change of ownership, locked into bad contracts, or simply other franchises are doing better via draft and free agency.

17. bozeman

bozeman Active Member

Reputations:

I notice that you always seem to have gay on the brain for some reason.

18. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Awful comparison
    Pluggy is a liar and a con man . He has become the exact person he made every penny berating and humilating. Then just for shits and giggles he decided to piss on his fans. I have no idea why you would want to make excuses for him. He is a piece of shit thief who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. He is the least honest man in entertainment ever.

Mack29, Jayla and smichal like this.
  19. Sickboy

Sickboy Latverian Monarch

Reputations:
    much like your brutal master wigward, u like cocks in your bum.

20. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    but howard isnt' trying to put out a good product. he doesn't want to, he doesnt have to, and he doesnt care to.
    yes the show is still on the air and he still gets paid, but he retired many years ago from doing a comedy/enterrtianment radio show

smichal likes this.