"Howard Stern show’s ‘Baba Booey’ has a serious side, as president of AIDS awareness"

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RobinsLapBand, Aug 7, 2012.

1. RobinsLapBand

RobinsLapBand Member

Reputations:
    http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/howard-stern-show-baba-booey-a-serious-side-president-aids-awareness-group-article-1.1128350?localLinksEnabled=false

Lifebeat, the music industry organization that raises awareness of AIDS and spreads the gospel of prevention, has a new president: Gary Dell’Abate, executive producer of the Howard Stern show on Sirius XM.

To Stern fans, Dell’Abate is better known as Baba Booey, a coconspirator on many moments of mirth and mischief over a quarter century.

Although his mission with Stern is to facilitate a good time, he’s dead serious about the mission of Lifebeat.

His brother Steven died of AIDS in 1991 and Dell’Abate says it was an experience no one and no family should ever have to go through.

“Even at the hospital, there were staff members who were afraid to treat him, who resented his being there,†says Dell’Abate.

In retrospect, he says he understands some of the widespread fear about the frightening and then-new disease.

But he says at least one truth he learned then is just as true today.

“You need a support group,†he says. “We eventually found some groups, and even though they were ridiculously small, we wouldn’t have made it through without them.â€

Lifebeat has become a large support group, made more visible by the support of high-profile pop musicians up to the level of Rod Stewart and James Taylor.

Artists have been a cornerstone of Lifebeat, and Dell’Abate says one of his goals as president is to help make their presence even more prominent.

“I’m a 51-year-old white guy,†he says. “Are kids going to listen to me? But if one of their favorite rappers says it, they might pay attention.â€

Reaching every successive generation, says Dell’Abate, remains one of the most critical areas of Lifebeat’s work. That’s why he speaks at schools and repeats the mantra that the way to prevent AIDS, for those who are sexually active, is to wear a condom.

Part of the problem in delivering that message, ironically, has been its success in the past.

Unlike in the late 1980s and early 1990s, Dell’Abate explains, AIDS today doesn’t feel like an epidemic.

“So kids think it’s less of a problem,†he says. “They think it’s cured, or that if you get it, you can just take a pill.

“It’s true it can be managed. But that involves a whole lot more than taking a pill. We need to get that across.â€

Dell’Abate’s ascent to the presidency wasn’t quite as hard as some other presidential campaigns.

Mitch Slater was stepping down after 15 years, he says, “and we were discussing it at a board meeting, with maybe four to five people. Somebody said, ‘I think Gary would be good,’ and that was it.

“I didn’t expect to be president. ut I can say that working with Lifebeat has enabled me to remember my brother in a positive way, when he was alive and healthy.â€

2. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    As much as it's fun to bust on baba for turning into being an elitest snobby douche, he at least gives a lot back to the community by volunteering his time to worhtwhile charities and organizations that actually help people (unlike others affilitated with the show)

3. exarro

exarro New Member

Reputations:
    what's the point of AIDs awareness? i think americans are well aware of AIDs by now. if baba was actually committed to the cause he'd go to africa and educate people over there but he's not. he's only doing it for the publicity and the attention.

4. Kaii

Kaii Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    With all this going on Gary shouldn't be promoting his favourite passtime teen anal

5. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    “I’m a 51-year-old white guy,†he says. “Are kids going to listen to me? But if one of their favorite rappers says it, they might pay attention.â€

6. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Sick to fucking death of all the "Awearness" Douchebags....................

7. bucketbuddy

bucketbuddy New Member

Reputations:
    fixed it for you.

8. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    You forgot...."And a huge ass"

9. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    President Booey...fraternizing with the interns until he met Mary!
    He loves Teen Anal!
    If your daughter was a hot intern....Gary fucked her in the ass.

How many times did Howard say in the past that his staff doesn't mess with interns?
    Since the Revolution I've heard several stories of staff fucking your kids....:jj:
    Another Howard Stern lie.

10. Nick Manning

Nick Manning Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    President Booey

[​IMG]

11. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I truly think that by volunteering for all of this, Gary justifies having his elitist attitude. Most people volunteer because they want to give back to society, Gary volunteers so he can hold it over everyone. Fuck him. You don't want to get AIDS? Don't fuck a guy in the ass and don't share needles.

12. Mike in Houston

Mike in Houston I got more balls than the daily lottery. VIP

Reputations:
    :rofl:

13. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    That type of thinking is exactly why there still is a health crisis in this country. And cases of HIV in our youth are actually on the rise.

14. fletchman71

Reputations:
    I have to disagree with you here. There is no AIDS crisis in our country. AIDS doesn't even make the top 10 in causes of death in the US. #10 is suicide and that number is under 40,000(forty grand) people. AIDS is a popular cause to get behind because Hollywood says so.

15. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Gary was serious about AIDS prevention, he'd stop biting people.

16. gabagoo

gabagoo New Member

Reputations:
    Remember when Artie was viciously attacking High Pitch Mike and alluding that HPM was gay? He hit HPM with a haymaker "the only drug you'll be addicted to is AZT!" That jackass ape of a producer chuckled and laughed his gorilla balls off.

Yeah, he has a ton of compassion for people with HIV........monkey bastid

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  17. bucketbuddy

bucketbuddy New Member

Reputations:
    it's a huge problem in DC, something like 3 percent of the population is HIV positive

18. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Finally! What took someone so long?

19. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Well, it's certainly not from lack of education or awareness.

20. fletchman71

Reputations:
    One out of fifty states does not constitute a country-wide health crisis.