Howard Stern's Next Move???

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Mar 2, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The last time there was a thread about this most thought he'd sign another SiriusXM contract with less work, less effort and the ability to broadcast from the Florida mansion. That would also imply that he would just finish out this contract with minimum effort.

Since then there's been staff firings, show cancellations, the announcement of a contract with Whalerock and suggestions that there's an impasse in contract negotiation. Stern has always negotiated on the air and claimed everyone wants him when no one really does but this seems different because things are actually happening.

rabbigottfried and Nemo like this.
  2. HPMikesLazyEYE

HPMikesLazyEYE Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Whalerock must have finally found a way to put sim cards in cars.

teehee, bznick, TheMercenary and 2 others like this.
  3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hopefully a terminal disease

JFK and John Mahlin like this.
  4. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Howie is torn. There is no gas left in the tank, yet his ego and greed force him to collect and hoard the marbles. He'll take the offer that guarantees the most money and the least work.

teehee, gotnolife, bznick and 8 others like this.
  5. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Sirius no longer needs Stern. Stern doesn't need sirius either so this is it. 101 will be WR programing by the 2nd half of the year as Howard has always used his companies airwaves to promote his next gig.

teehee, Thelma and Caffeinated like this.
  6. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What move does he have left???!

He pissed off his true supporters. Even his hard core fans have nothing to say, we've been told even Mutt is MIA. He has no charisma, he's not funny, (I'm not joking here) he's absolutely ugly, he can't do TV, he's lowered himself to acting as an animal advocate, his wife talks beneath people when she is on TV or radio, the dawgshed has exposed what a liar and cheat he is, he sues his employers...

I could go on...

teehee, Dorb, bznick and 10 others like this.
  7. dexterdog

dexterdog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well said. He is indeed out of gas and enthusiasm to put on even a moderately entertaining show. But at the same time he still wants to hang in there and somehow sign another contract for significant dollars. He just doesn't know how to walk away. I would respect him all over again if he would simply come out and say, hey it's been a great run, I had my time in the sun, but it's time to hang it up and enjoy the fruits of my labors. Probably won't happen though.

8. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It's safe to say that Howard will put in minimum effort after his current deal is up, regardless of whether it's with Sirius along with Whalerock.

It will be interesting to see what Stern content Whalerock will have - old stuff that folks have heard many times, new podcast type interviews if Stern is no longer w/Sirius (along with filler from staffers who belong in the backroom) or HTV like video if he ends up signing another Sirius deal.

9. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He wants to do an interview type show. But if he has to do a pod cast, he will have trouble getting even Debbie the Pet Lady to come on his crappy show.

teehee, bznick and Thelma like this.
  10. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    His next movement will involve the use of a Squatty Potty.

teehee, Dorb, gotnolife and 5 others like this.
  11. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Winner winner, Divorce Chicken dinner!

You nailed it. Well said.

12. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    He can't just walk away, he never thinks he has enough cash, he needs a pulpit to bash his critics and his wife needs a platform for promotion. One of his problems is that Beth is 42 and still wants more fame, attention etc.....without that need there's no way he fucks up another summer with AGT.

queerface, TallTyrion, Thelma and 2 others like this.
  13. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    A year ago there was a poll that said that 5% of the subscribers will bolt if Howard leaves. I found an article over the weekend that said that the normal loss in subscribers in 2012 was 1.9% per month (ironically, it was in a Motley Fool article sucking up to Howard saying that Sirius is doomed if he leaves). So if the 5% number is correct, the loss due to Howard is about 2 1/4 months of normal losses. So, the losses to Sirius will be minimal.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/15/if-howard-stern-leaves-will-sirius-xm-survive.aspx

puncher, Mr Fantastic and Droog like this.
  14. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    retire with a remote bit of dignity left. and I use the term 'remote' very loosely :jj:

EndOfLine and Mr Fantastic like this.
  15. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    Dead on...Big push on the interviews, callers sucking his cock saying your the best interviewer, yada yada yada.. He could rip off Jerry Seinfeld's internet show. Whatever it is it wont be original.

Lets all enjoy watching the sinking ship.

John Mahlin and Beffquus like this.
  16. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    His ego knows no boundaries. He really is torn. He hates doing the show, and has found out the money isn't enough gratification. He also desperately needs to feel wanted and important. So he will find a way to still do a show (not necessarily the show as we know it). But his ego prevents him from being compensated at a rate that doesn't impress his wealthy neighbors. That's why he's grasping at straws with his new "plans" for greatness.

teehee and Divorce Chicken like this.
  17. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't blame Beth for this. Howard is a narcissist. He needs people to kiss his ass all the time and talk about how he is greatest entertainer/interviewer/God on the planet. He walks away from showbiz and he is forgotten in a few months.

Guys like Seinfeld can walk away because I don't think they need the constant validation of their accomplishments. Howard does. It seems that the more his empire crumbles, the more he needs that validation (hence why Howard 100 News only reports on the greatness of Howard and the WUS only talks about how Howard would be perfect to host the Oscars, would change late night talk shows forever, etc.).

teehee, isabella and popspot13 like this.
  18. Halloween

Halloween Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I predict we will hear the word "whalerock" 100 times a day when they first make whatever shift that entails. Then after a year of subpar, self-censoring, PC bullshit, Howard will come to the realization that trying to rebrand himself and revise history ended up being a colossal failure. Then he'll sue Whalerock for some cockamamie reason and lose.

19. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He'll still get celebs. They like him now and Hollywood is under the impression that he's still a huge star with a large audience. What made him good before wasn't the big stars coming on and boring everyone to death. It was the fringe guys like Grandpa Al Lewis, Richard Simmons, Sam, Tiny Tim, Jessica Hahn....etc that made the show fun. People no one else was interested in and kooky personalities drove the show. He had celebrity wackpackers to go along with regular wackpackers and employees that were even part of the wack pack. All of that and an anything goes attitude drove the show. Today he's no different than any other mainstream show. Big celebrities boring us with their guarded answers to the few questions of which anyone cares to hear answered.

20. puncher

puncher VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Exactly. The math is pretty simple...if Sirius/XM have 24 million subscribers, and 5% leave with Howie (which is a very, very generous number) then he takes 1.2 million with him...its a drop in the bucket. I think Howie has about 500,000 that would cancel if he goes...500,000 vs. 24 million? It really is a no-brainer at this point for Sirius/XM, but I could definitely be wrong. I just do not see the value of this guy anymore...he is pulling in nobody these days, and he has edited his tapes...so what is his worth to them?