Howards a dumbass re: the Colorado shooter

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JoeyG, Jul 23, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Active Member

Reputations:
    Howard got practically every fact wrong on todays show. First of all, the gun used is not an assault weapon. An assault weapon is an automatic - like the military spec M-16 - where you pull the trigger and the gun spews out bullets like a machine gun. The AR 15 that this guy used is a semi-automatic, which means you have pull the trigger each time you want to shoot. Plus, it was a .223 bullet. This is practically the smallest bullet available for a rifle. It's roughly the same size as a .22 caliber - very small. Hunters use AR - 15's for varmint hunting or long-range target practice. They are not powerful at all, but very accurate at long ranges - like up to a mile. Also, he did not get in in the mail or on the internet. He got the guns at Bass Pro Shop and Gander Mountain - and filled out all of the necessary paperwork and passed all of the background checks. He said a couple of other things that were wrong about the case, but I can't remember them right now. At the end he said he only read one article and got all the info he needed - yeah, to bad it was all wrong.

2. Chuck Kongo

Chuck Kongo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know what Howard said but you're off.

The "assault weapon" designation as it's been used and in regards to legislation (like the past assault weapons ban) has nothing to do with whether a weapon is full auto.

Full autos have been banned for decades aside from some special circumstances.

3. sfgirl

sfgirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Many of the news media got it wrong as well...

4. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard got all of his information from FOX News and the New York Daily News.

Did you really expect him to get any correct information.:coffee:

5. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Love it when the original poster criticizes howard for being off but doesn't have a clue himself...

6. slacker

slacker New Member

Reputations:
    An ar15 isnt powerful at all? Wow..... You should buy one and fire off a few rounds at soft targets and see how harmless it is....

7. Nick Manning

Nick Manning Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Original poster: An AR-15 is the civilian version of the US M-16/M-4 rifle. An AR-15, generally, is chambered in .223 Remington and is a close cousin to the NATO 5.56mm.

While its caliber,.223, is close to a .22, they not even close when it comes to ballistics. A .223 Remington , in 55 grain, has a muzzle velocity of over 3,200 feet per second. That's very fast. Its muzzle energy is around 1,200 foot-pounds of enegy. That's almost twice the energy of a standard .44 magnum.

In addition, the .223 Remington is designed to tumble and fragment in tissue, with devastating performance. The Russians use a 5.45mm in their AK-74's with the same effects.

It ain't a bb gun. Oh, and a .22 can kill, too. Reagan was nearly killed by one, and it was a ricocet of the limo's armor. Plus, Hinkley was a very poor marksman.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. JoeyG

JoeyG Active Member

Reputations:
    I have one, and it is not powerful. The gun I use for deer hunting - a Remington 30.06 is 3 times more powerful. It has more knock down power, and the loads have more gunpowder behind them. And it's a semi-automatic as well. A .223 is almost the smallest round of ammunition you can buy - next to a BB. Like I said, the AR 15's claim to fame is its' accuracy.

9. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I love lamp

10. Howard Stork

Howard Stork "Big Nosed and Jewish"

Reputations:
    The media will say anything as long as it leads to taking away the guns of hard working, honest US citizens.

11. Fourinchespyle

Fourinchespyle New Member

Reputations:
    Jeez dude, better tell our military that it isn't powerful, I bet that would concern them. I highly doubt it was named number two ASSAULT weapon in the WORLD due to its BB gun-like qualities. Although the media generally labels any rifle high-powered and any handgun large-caliber.

12. Doctor Ivan

Doctor Ivan Active Member

Reputations:
  13. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    I have three and yes, they ARE powerful. Sure there are more powerful rounds, but that's like saying a pickup truck isn't powerful because there are Hummers.

Just because the diameter of the round is small doesn't make it non-lethal. Muhammad and Malvo, the "DC Snipers" used a 5.56 and 10 of the 13 victims they shot were killed. There's a reason that military and SWAT units use the round all over the globe.

Also, the round is not accurate a mile away. Recommended use for snipers and hunters is within 300 meters. And it's claim to fame isn't its accuracy. The military adopted it because the rounds were smaller and lighter than the 30 caliber rounds they had previously been issuing. It was less of a burden to troops in the field.

14. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    JoeyG what are the AR rules in your state? I haven't heard today's show yet so can't comment on what Stern said.

For those interested in guns I legally have an AR15 in California which is one of the most anti 2nd amendment states. To legally own this rifle:

1 I can not posess a magazine with a capacity of more than than 10 bullets.
    2 Must have a bullet button so the magazine can not easily/quickly be removed
    3 The rifle must not be less than 30 inches long (that's what she said :rs:)

If I did possess all of the above then my AR would be considered an assault weapon and therefore be illegal in California.

15. Fuckshulismom

Fuckshulismom New Member

Reputations:
    Your a little off yourself, the manufacture of full auto weapons have been banned since 1986,but all the fullautos that were registered before 86 are all legal.buying,owning and selling mg's, is legal and legal in many states.

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Active Member

Reputations:
    The muzzzle velocity of my 30.06 as mentioned is 2910 fps with muzzle energy of 2820 ft. lbs - more than double the AR-15. I never said the AR-15 couldn't kill something. It is deadly. But again, it's known for accuracy at long range - not power. In other words, the term "assault weapon" is really just a scare tactic. My 30.06, which is probably the most common hunting gun in the world, is much more powerful and deadly than the AR - 15.

17. Chuck Kongo

Chuck Kongo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yea, that would be what is meant by "special circumstances"?

What exactly am I off on again?

18. JoeyG

JoeyG Active Member

Reputations:
    We're talking about two different things. I never said the AR was non lethal. I said it was not powerful. And compared to the majority of guns owned in the US, BY FAR, the AR is much less powerful. See the foot-pounds of energy of the 30.06 listed above as proof. Also, when I said "claim to fame", I meant with civilians, not the military. Almost every guy I know that has an AR has them for their accuracy at long range - varmint hunting and long-range target practice. (And you are correct about my "accurate up to a mile" statement. that was an exaggeration.

19. yippeekyaa

yippeekyaa Moved forward. VIP

Reputations:
    I know of some families of 12 people in Colorado that would argue with you on that point. And you come across as the type of person that would argue back with them.

20. Spazzmatazz

Spazzmatazz Band Member Banned User

Reputations:

This nullifies your entire post.
    Try around 550 meters for a point target (one person), 800 for and area target (a group of people). 3310 fps. muzzle velocity. Hardly "not powerful at all".
    (This from my Marine vet son) Look it up yourself.

Howard is very wealthy which means in NYC he gets a concealed carry permit. All he knows about guns is, put in bullets, point and pull trigger.