Howard's Revenue From The Commercials

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Mar 27, 2013.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    A while back someone posted a SiriusXM ad sheet that indicated a live read on the HSS was around $4000 and commercial spot was around $1200. It's hard to gauge how much he gets from "weaving ads into the show content" but maybe 3 a day at $3000 a placement.

So:

6 live reads/day = $24000
    6 commercials/break x 5 breaks = $36000
    Product placements = $9000

Total = 69,000/day

$69,000/day x 110 live shows = $7.6 million a year

Throw in the additional revenue from the replays, specials and 101 and you probably double that figure, Howard gets the lion's share of the money so he's probably banking around $10 million/year from the ads. Not bad considering he sold the listeners on "taking breaks only long enough to go to the bathroom" and that "they'd probably play music during them". Also no wonder that he never complains about the live reads like he did at WXRK.

2. jimbronie

jimbronie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    But the real question is what were the ad rates on terrestrial. If I remember correctly they were in the 5 figures area.

3. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    That would be just swell to hear that fuckwad doing his Sal-like "I'm terrible at math, Robin" routine.

"I don't even know how much I get from the commercials- what's 7 times 5? Carry the one, wait a minute...." That cunt knows exactly how much he's making off the ads every day, he probably jerks off thinking about it while alone in the cavernous apt (if his iPad mini needs recharging and he has to resort to thoughts only).

4. BethSucks

Reputations:
    When you put it into perspective he's making over 2/3rds of his AGT salary for hocking shitty mail order razors and over processed meatballs and is being paid his regular salary while doing it.

5. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    His first deal gave him a percentage of all gross ad revenue from the channels - I can't imagine there's a whole lot of ad dough from the HSS replays and other shows on the channels, but Howard still gets a cut of that too.

6. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    The day at KROCK he announced signing with Sirius he was asked about commercials. He said he wasn't sure if the Revolution was commercial free.
    He was evasive and vague about commercials for months.

We can only speculate about all the bartering that takes place these days.
    What did Stern have to do for all these Beth and Booey side projects and their amazing media tours to promote said shit side projects?
    How many shit guests did stern have to take as pay back?
    How many things did he say he liked to pay someone back?

Stern was selling his fans stuff disguised as spontaneous banter long before he outed others (Drew Barrymore & Kathy Griffin).
    He really is a greedy lazy soulless sub human...that never tells the truth!

7. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    BTW you have to really wonder if Stern was getting a taste of advertisement dollars in the later years at KROCK.
    We know that any time he had to by a car.....suddenly his buddy that sells cars gets a free plug.....:jj:
    Always scheming and plotting is the wigged one.

I've listened to 1/2 of 1995 recently.....when Howard is not scull fucking women and children he is selling the fans something on the side for himself or for his friends.

8. BethSucks

Reputations:
    He was, if you read through some of the documents regarding the CBS lawsuit it indicates he received a base salary of $15-20 million and then unspecified amounts for syndication revenue and ad revenue. No figures were hinted at but when you think of the reach of the show at that point those numbers were probably huge.

9. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    What was his largest audience on terrestrial radio? Legitimately, not the 20-25 million. CBS probably got almost everything of a certain base, then Howard started making more from there. Same way revenue works with movies, books, music, etc.

10. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    I don't really care. If Stern can make some extra jake on commercials, more power to him.

As Gordon Gecko said...
    "The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind"

[​IMG]

11. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    The guy's always done it...That's for sure...
    If he would just put on an entertaining show, he could fuck me up the ass and I wouldn't care...

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I'd love to know what idiot is getting razors shipped to him once a month. They'd better get their money up front from that company.

13. BethSucks

Reputations:
    That seems like an odd statement from you, as much as I've disagreed with you I had you pegged as a guy that lived up to his committments and realized that there was more to life than money. As you recall things didn't work out so well for Mr. Gecko towards the end of that movie.

14. Winst

Winst Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    They had many various "special deals" in operation over at Infinity.

There were a number of variables built into almost every deal...it would be difficult to try to nail down one set price/cost for one deal...and an average
    number wouldn't really be telling the whole story.

There are so many interesting stories worth telling when it comes to Captain K and his various sales teams.

Tom C. --- "........know."

15. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    I never believed that Howard would care about his fans to the point where he could ignore all that valuable Commercial Marbles. And after he received his bonus he started piling them on one after another . . . :coffee:

16. baby booie

baby booie Active Member

Reputations:
    regardless of what percentage he gets, you know he is being paid to do the live reads, that is above and beyond any ad revenue
    what sickens me is that booey and Jon Hein probably get paid to do their shitty reads

ironically, Fred, according to the Buchwald website, considers himself a professional voice over actor, yet doesn't get to do any ads himself, except for the annoying Stuttering John impressions

17. Winst

Reputations:
    They were quite large....way more than has ever even been hinted at in the media reports.

...and speaking about such topics and "reports"........or maybe "non-reports".....IRS...SEC...etc.... :whistle:

......follow the money.

Oh...and another thing.....remember back when Mr. Stern would go on and on about how his wife handled all of his/their money/income/finances etc.
    I'm knot really saying anything....but perhaps..I just..did.

...follow the money.......follow the F'ing money..............................................................follow the F'ing FU money. :coffee:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I recall Stern bragging about a $30,000 live read.
    I think it was some of that dot com VC money being pissed away back in the late 90's

19. Winst

Reputations:

Keep something in mind when it comes to all of that sort of thing.

The over the counter money....and the under the table type of money.

Lots of time and lots of interested ears.....and loads of cash being moved and more specifically..."traded".

(COUGH!)........................................................................................................ priceline.com. (...etc.)

20. KillVampires

KillVampires Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    The way that Howard and most other major radio/tv guys have advertising on their shows is that it is a package deal for the channel. You want to buy a commercial during Howard's show? Then you need to buy one for Riley Martin and Shuli's show. So Howard can have these companies purchase airtime throughout the entire week just to get a live read during the main show. It makes sense for Howard because it makes his channels look like they are worth running commercials all day and night. When really there is no reason to constantly air commercials during 'best of' tapes and reruns other than to hose the advertisers and fans.

It's not like that's exclusive to Howard. It's like that everywhere. Want a commercial on South Park or the Daily Show? Then you need to buy a block of advertisements during old Rob Schneider movies played at 3am. Want some ads that run during CNN's major hours? Then you need to buy some ads that run during their worst hours as well.