Howard's voice

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Karl Buchholz, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Karl Buchholz

Karl Buchholz New Member

Reputations:
    This has probably been talked about ad nauseum in the past but I figured I'd bring it up anyway because I'm a bit of an audio geek and this sort of thing interests me.

So because it's a deeply-ingrained habit and I honestly have nothing better to put on in the background while I go about my day-to-day drudgery, I've been listening to a boatload of HSS material from the mid-90s to the early 2000s and I have to say that that horribly distorted quality to Stern's voice is absolute murder on the ears. Really, It's a breath of fresh air in the rare moment when Howard gets up from his chair and waddles over to another microphone because then he's actually somewhat bearable to listen to; I mean, he's still putting on that phony affectation but at least he's not talking into a microphone that's had its sound so aggressively filtered that it's just ugly any time you hear it. Who the hell thinks this sounds good?

I mean, Jesus, you'd think it's enough that he has the most expensive mic in the room, but nope.

Anyway, if this were his only problem these days then it would be practically nothing, but hey whatever preaching to the choir now

2. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Howie invented autotune.

3. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    It's ironic that back when most of us were bamboozled into believing Howie was the real deal - not playing a character he'd never dare to be in real life, even in those early days not even his voice was the real deal!

4. Karl Buchholz

Karl Buchholz New Member

Reputations:
    I believe it.

5. IowaHawks

IowaHawks Member

Reputations:
    I was thinking the same thing as I caught a few minutes of show replays yesterday...the last hour of K-ROCK. Howie had his usual (fake) deep sounding voice while he was in the studio...and then he went outside to speak to the crowd and he sounded like '80's Howie....high and nasal sounding...it was a night and day difference. More honesty from the lying wig?

BeerCanThick and MrPACS like this.
  6. Blur

Blur Alumnus

Reputations:
    I remember when Howie called into Sirus a coupla days before 1-9-06... I couldn't believe that was the same guy!!

7. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    his voice has evolved just like he has...

8. nserafini

nserafini Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Scott must have turned the funny filter off in 2008.

9. jokeland

jokeland Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The voice has changed but I think it is really strange that everyone on the show has lost his/her New York accent over the years.