Howard's Xanadu

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by TaTa Toothy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TaTa Toothy

TaTa Toothy New Member

Reputations:
    On the Letterman show, Howard described the mansion he bought in Florida as his "Xanadu". Do you think he you think he actually gets what that reference really means?

Charles Foster Kane was a fictional multi-millionaire that nobody associated with him liked. He married a talentless, brainless twat, and tries to buy her a career in show business where she miserably fails. Kane eventually dies alone in his giant mansion surrounded by his wealth and nothing else.

If he does understand the back story of Xanadu, does he not get the irony of it all? He's so clueless about so many things it's hard to tell.

2. Wigward Hairhat

Wigward Hairhat Active Member

Reputations:
    Wiggy never got the Citizen Kane screener from the studio.

3. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    There is no way he gets it. For all of his talents he is very, very bad at following anything that is above the head of a 10 yr old. A Batman cartoon he could handle. A TV show like Arrested Development or a movie like The Usual Suspects would be way over his head.

4. Wigward Hairhat

Reputations:
    He claims The Godfather is his favorite movie. I'll bet he's never even seen it and just said it's his favorite so he can seem like one of the guys. He seems like more of a 'Mamma Mia' fan.

5. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Old man Kane tore up his room in a rage, Howie will be lucky if he can toss a tissue box.

6. sammyr134

sammyr134 Mister Sunshine Banned User

Reputations:
  7. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He has no idea. I wish Letterman called him out on that too. Stern would have looked like even more of an idiot.
    Stern only said it because Baldwin (knowing full well what the story is) said it to him and Stern's to lame to come up with anything on his own.

8. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He's deluded. In his mind everything he ever did that was unethical, demeaning, sleazy or hypocritical is just a "bit." You don't like it because you don't "get it." "They don't get it" is the answer to everything. "I'm growing as person but my fans aren't."

On Letterman he was still pulling the "I'm neurotic, poor me, life's a struggle, don't blame me I can't help it, I get therapy, let me sit in your lap, Whoopie, I need a hug" bit that he stole from Richard Lewis.

The move to the mainstream has been in the works since the day he met the supermodoe. The only people who weren't in on it were the subscribers.

9. peterfonda

peterfonda Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actually, he did NOT marry a talentless, brainless twat. Apparently you missed the point of the movie. Susan was a simple girl, true, but she was smart enough to know that she did not have the talent to be an opera singer. It was just something she liked to do in private. She was overwhelmed by Kane's fortune and personal will. Kane, who had been burned by the divorce of his first wife and the loss of his political career, sought to rebuild his image by taking this unknown woman and making her into a star. The impact of her success on his name and reputation was all that he cared about. He did not care one bit that Susan did not want to be famous, that the world's best opera teacher said that she did not have the talent to be a professional opera singer or that no opera house in the country would book her to sing. He built his own opera house especially for her, and he finally drove to her try suicide because he would not listen to her. She left him too because he was too selfish to realize that she was in pain - his last words to her in their marriage were "Don't leave - you can't do this to me." Susan realized that Kane thought it was all about him even then, so she left.

Now, Howard apparently does not know the role Xanadu plays in the movie (the unfinished mansion, already rotting away before it was halfway done, that eventually served as his tomb) or he does not care. But Beth is the opposite of Susan Alexander. Susan knew who and what she was - an ordinary girl who worked in a music store who liked to sing opera as a hobby. She never said she wanted to be famous and resisted all attempts by Kane to make her famous. Beth, on the other hand, is as equally talentless as Susan, but she does or will not recognize that and uses her mentally ill husband's money to try and force herself on the American public.

10. Fuzz Nuts

Fuzz Nuts VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Well said.

You must have been an english mayjor. ;)

11. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    lol

12. Dilkington

Dilkington Active Member

Reputations:
    Erm. No.

You are talkin about a rock fan who thinks Leslie West is the best guitarist ever, who thinks Mountain is one of the best ever, who considers himself a comics fan but knows nothing about Doctor Strange, who is too evolved to eat meat but wears nothing but leather, who watches ONLY reality talent shows on television.

So... no. But valid criticism of the Wigged One. And fun.

13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;LGz2uO3ZpoM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGz2uO3ZpoM[/video]

14. Wigward Hairhat

Reputations:
    ^^ Kane does a great Howard shadow-puppet @1m06s

15. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

16. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    this! and peterfonda summed it up beautifully butI think Beefus is like the simpleton Suzan. She's not pushing her acting and her main push seems to be for the baby--to beef up the exit/will money grab. She knows its all about him but she can't go back to normal life, she's trapped unless she can hook up with another celeb or producer who can guarantee her a show or brand dev. Plus can you imagine the cash cow that will be his name and imaging licensing and itunes of his old shows after he dies. Bitch is set thanks to his and gary's teams hardwork.

17. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    All the posts are right on. I remember Baldwin calling it Xanadu and I truly believe Howard thinks Alec was talking about that shitty movie from the 70's and its like a party oasis kind of place.

18. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Haha!

And Howard is a fucking idiot for calling it that. What a dope. :rofl:

19. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    What letter does beth think ?anadu begin with[h=1][/h]

20. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations: