Howie Mandel “Catches†Comedian Stealing Material During ‘AGT' taping

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/howie-mand...s-material-during-americas-got-talent-taping/

I know /Film really isn’t a place to blog about competition reality shows, but I thought this story was interesting enough for a post.

Last night I attended a taping of America’s Got Talent at the Pantages Theater in Hollywood (please don’t judge, I’m a big Howard Stern fan). The talent show reality series holds audition shows in cities around the country, which are edited to death and eventually televised in highlight packages in the weeks before the show goes live from New York City. The tapings are usually pretty long with a warm up comedian trying to keep the audience entertained in between the various acts.

The strangest thing happened during the taping Thursday night, something which was not staged. I wouldn’t be surprised if this whole incident is never broadcast on television.

A comedian contestant named Greg Wilson came up to present his comedy act. He praised Howie Mandel, one of the show’s judges, saying he had seen his stand-up show in Dallas during the 1990′s. The two bonded in the pre-act interview. Wilson went on to perform his routine, which was basically a reenactment of a wife and husband fighting in a car. The unique angle is the bit is done from the point of view of a driver in another car, and the fight is reenacted without words, only a visual performance.

The bit killed, the audience loved it. So did the judges. Howard Stern praised the routine. Eventually it got to Howie who opened with a strange question, paraphrased, “Did you write this yourself or are you performing someone else’s material?” Wilson on stage claimed that he created the bit himself, much like Howie created his own bits. He seemed very offended by the question. Howie seemed unsure how to handle the situation. Something was off. After one of the other judges prodded, Howie admitted that he had seen this same act before, performed by another comedian.

[​IMG]

Wilson became very defensive, claiming that he has been doing the bit for a long time now so if he had seen another comic doing the routine recently, it was possible they stole it from him. He seemed nervous, frazzled. Howie eventually reluctantly revealed the name of the comedian: Frank Nicotero.

Here is a video of Nicotero performing a very simular bit from a few years back:
    [video=youtube;UGJHQvpGwnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UGJHQvpGwnM[/video]

Here is Greg Wilson’s performance of his AGT bit, from a video on youtube from a performance late last year:
    [video=youtube;AnPcyJTBtG0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUiHwRw0jF_e4g7h4CejnOAQ&v=AnPcyJTBtG0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

And it just so happens that Frank Nicotero was the warm-up comedian at this LA taping of America’s Got Talent. Now I know this might seem too good to be true — like something that could have been orchestrated for television, but it didn’t feel like it. I can usually smell a set-up from a mile away. Everyone involved seemed uncomfortable, and the whole thing felt awkward and unplanned. If the producers were involved in a set-up, it seemed clear to everyone at the taping that Howie, the contestant and Nicotero weren’t in on it.

The AGT cameras tried to get Nicotero, who was off to the side of the theater, to come on stage. Nicotero was pissed and didn’t want to be on camera. There were a couple minutes of awkwardness as the producers scrambled to figure the situation out. Howie began backtracking saying that is is possible that two comedians could have come up with similar concept. He then backtracked further, saying the producers could edit this whole thing out if they wanted. Time was ticking so it was decided that the judges had to make a decision, they had to move on to the next act. The judges decided to judge the comedian based on the performance alone, and they agreed to let the contestant pass to the next round in Vegas.

The video cameras stopped and everything got even more awkward. The producers came over to the judges and had a discussion, unmic’d. Moments later, Nicotero went up to Howie at the Judges table and began screaming and ranting. He also wasn’t mic’d, so none of the audience heard what he said. He was visibly pissed.

updates to story
    http://www.slashfilm.com/howie-mand...s-material-during-americas-got-talent-taping/

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  2. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Try to post a comment criticizing Howard on their site. They delete them all.

3. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    #thunderdome strikes...AGAIN

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    comedian thief a Buchwald client???
    :pray:

5. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    BS. i was buying it until they said the comic who was ripped-off was there. then from that point it just got stupid with him getting pissed and yelling at howie.

what i don't call BS on is howard thinking this shit's funny. he no longer has the ability to recognize what's funny and just guesses.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  6. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
  7. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    International super star to be?

8. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Not saying I don't think it was staged, but if it was, what's the point?

9. Yomama

Yomama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    yeah - I call bullshit
    sounds like a stupid howard stern bit

10. SleepingWarrior

SleepingWarrior Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

11. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:

what i find particularly odd about this is that if he had stolen it from Frank Nicotero (who is not funny at all) wouldnt he have known that Frank was the warm up comic and realized this was a problem? or possibly he didnt remember who he stole it from?

if he did realize it you would think he would have changed his act

12. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    this kind of stuff never happens with dog acts we need another feel good dog act to win again this year maybe dogs who shoot baskets or can skateboard

13. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    reality television is anything but

14. Hamptons

Hamptons Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    enough with the hackey comedians on AGT

15. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I was buying it until... No, I was never buying it. An article that size about a failing talent show is an obvious plant.

Also, the author expects us to believe that Howard, a sixty-year old mother of 3, would have any recollection of a bit performed by a comedian as obscure as Frank Nicotero. He can't even remember the names of the contestants of the dancing shows he watches regularly.

Every reality show lies, it's what they do, but when your talent show has less artistic credibility than Duck Dynasty, Ace of Cakes, and that show with the midjit and the pit bulls, your network show is a pitiful fucking mess.

16. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    this. comedians are an acquired taste. what one person thinks is hilarious, someone else thinks is tired and hacky. AGT is all about magic tricks, dog acts and assorted freaks. it would be difficult to spot real talent.. (btw, has anyone ever found out how they do those dog tricks? something is amiss. it's hard enough for me to get my beautiful boy to fetch, i can't imagine how the olarte's got the to perform).
    i lost confidence in the writer of this article when he said he was a fan of howard stern.

17. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Old late dogs.

18. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Dunno, but I did hear Howard on the news complaining that there was hardly any talent to be found in LA, maybe they are resorting to shenanigans to make up for the lack of talent. Just a thought.

19. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That Article has nothing to do with Stern at all. I'm wondering if the warm-up went to Howie or got on his earpiece and told him, "hey man he's doing my act" while he was performing it? That would explain him being pissed off at Howie backtracking. If this doesn't make it to air then it's real. If they show it it was a pre show hype.

20. David999

David999 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I believe it was Mandel who questioned the origin of the bit.