HP is getting as irritating as microsoft

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gwartney, Mar 31, 2012.

1. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I just bought a nice new HP printer. I expect it to last a year at best and actually believe that there is a well somewhere in it that secretly pumps ink out of the cartridges so you have to buy it more often. But that has nothing to do with my latest complaint.

This printer has wireless access. It's not the first HP that I've owned that has that but this one has a little extra gift. It installs a little file called HP Network Communicator that is necessary in order to connect to the printer through your wireless network. I suddenly noticed the other day that my mouse cursor is flashing busy about every four or five seconds. I spent a couple hours trying to figure out if I had malware, some virus, etc. the whole ball of wax. What I finally found was that this HP Network Communicator is constantly looking for a wireless connection. If you turn your printer off, it runs every four or five seconds, looking until it finds your printer again. I don't have the printer placed where I'm going to keep it so it is unplugged, hence the program is constantly running and using resources and making my cursor flash.

There is no way to stop this short of renaming or deleting the file. Then you've lost the ability to connect wirelessly.

Way to go, HP. I'm thinking about taking the fucker back.

I know, wgaf, Colin Powell. I feel much better having bitched about it.

2. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    It may be defective. I have an HP printer as well and really I am amazed how long the ink lasts. I get the XL packs and they go a really long way.

3. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Nephew used to work for HP fixing their returned computers. Said they're the worst. Dunno about the printers. Sounds like it works like it's supposed to, it's just irritating.

4. gwartney

Reputations:
    The one I just replaced drank it like a drunken sailor on shore leave. I don't know about this one yet. I do print a lot of photos so that probably doesn't help.

5. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    i have a canon printer it's great

6. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    One day Apple will make printer and it will all be over. Total world domination. TV sets are on the horizon. They will revolutionize the way we watch (or buy) TV programming.

7. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    The iPrint.

8. gwartney

Reputations:
    I would definitely try an Apple printer. I wonder why they haven't already done that? Probably because the margin is too low. They like to make the big money on their stuff.

9. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm already agitated this morning so I won't go into a lot of detail here but I've had it with HP product and I blame it all on Meg Whitman.
    Since she took over the company has gone to the shit house.
    I've had to return TWO goddamned printers. My sister-in-law had to replace her brand new HP printer.
    To top it off... my wife bought an HP "top of the line" desktop and it crashed after three months.
    She got a replacement for it only after 2 months of technicians coming over to the house and finally threatening to use our Jewish legal representative to file a complaint of fraud.

10. Chief2Kick

Chief2Kick I'm all sixes & sevens & nines Staff Member

Reputations:
    Great printers, horrendous software.

11. tomtom

tomtom Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Photos are ink eaters. I take my cartridges down to the local printing supply and they refill the cartridges. A lot cheaper than buying new. I have a wireless HP too

12. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    You will be seeing much diversity coming from Apple in the near future. Since Steve Jobs passing projects that Steve was working on, and some that he had suppressed have been green lighted. Apple TV (as in a full size flat screen HDTV) are imminent, as is a sort of iTunes store to watch TV. They have made it known that Netflix is the model they are emulating, I would not be shocked if Apple actually purchases Netflix. Cable and satellite providers are on notice.

13. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    Epson printers are great, especially for photos. My second choice would be Canon. Problem is, I only use a printer about every 6 months or so, and the damn ink cartridges are dried out...:mad:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  14. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    Yes, and their salts are great for tired feet as well. Now that is true diversity right there.

15. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    I've read many reviews that say the same thing G that's why I haven't bought on yet

Plus the last 2 HP wired all-in-ones I got for $30 each and use oem knock off print cartidges from china that are crazy cheap

No need to switch just hate the wire :dontknow:

There's still monitor that runs in the background but I found a way to shut it down a startup because HP won't let you do that on the settings. Effers. The monitor is a hog too

16. HeinousMark

HeinousMark Creepy-Ass Cracka VIP

Reputations:
    I don't know what you mean sir...:coffee:

:c

17. gwartney

Reputations:
    Epson printers, Epsom salt.