Hulu Plus kind of sucks

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Gretsch Man, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Gretsch Man

Gretsch Man Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm using the free week from Hulu Plus. It won't even let me stream the Simpsons on my tv! :cool:

2. BudBudha

BudBudha Male Underwear Model

Reputations:
    What perks do you get? The commercials are irritating.

3. nick11

nick11 Member

Reputations:
    It's awful

4. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    It won't let you watch it on your TV because you are using a PS3/other game system. Just build a HTPC, you'll get much better sound/video quality anyway (that's what I do). Hulu Plus is only worth it if you are interested in things they specialize in, personally I love it. You get the entire Criterion Collection, tons of British TV series, and a large number of complete series. I'm still working my way through the X-Files and Quantam Leap. But, if you aren't technically inclined/able to afford an HTPC and want to watch a lot of old movies, Netflix is probably better. One Criterion Blu-ray will run you $30, which is about 4 months of Hulu plus right there, so it is a good value if you enjoy the programming they specialize in.

5. username

username Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Why build a HTPC when you can screen share you mac wireless with AppleTV.

PC are so 1970is...

6. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
    Another example of how the industry fucks up. Why have a service WITH commercials? I wish some movie studios would see the light and start offering movies for PPV at the same time they are released at the theaters. Fucking up like music biz with Napster....

7. nicksgt

nicksgt Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Amazon prime is awful too....haveit mostly for the free shipping but there is nothing to watch on there in terms of movies

8. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Sorry Username, but I've been running Linux since the 90's, and I'll die a Linux user. Any OS without a command line is just not for me, Apple doesn't let you live even slightly close to the hardware. I've always hated Windows though, UNIX and its derivatives (NexTStep/iOS, BSD, Linux) have always been my cup of tea.

Also, just to clear something else up, only some Hulu plus programming has commercials. A large percentage of it is commercial free, but it's based on how much the particular licenser charges for their programming in order to make the $8 a month price point work. I just watched Hellraiser the other day 100% commercial free.

9. InstigatinMofo

InstigatinMofo Active Member

Reputations:
    you know what doesnt suck? hitting the torrents. there's plenty of legal users like you that are willing to pay for content but are turned off by complex, shitty service and bs industry practices like DRM

10. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Hulu actually doesn't use Silverlight DRM (which is what Netflix uses) and they go out of their way to support Linux (you can only use Netflix by running Wine, a windows emulator, and using the Win 7 version of Firefox). They do enough things well and support my OS, which almost no one else does, so I think they deserve my money. It's the same reason I used Coral Word Perfect for years. For $8 a month, it's a great value IMHO.

As to the torrents, that is only true if you are willing to pay for a VPN and confident that it will work properly. Copyright Trolling lawsuits are coming fast and furious, the risk involved in torrents just isn't worth it to me. Then again, I still buy CDs, so I know I'm in the minority.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  11. Nurse Remulak

Nurse Remulak New Member

Reputations:
    I use several "easily-found" sites that I stream content to my TV which I cannot post here due to copyright issues. They all blow Hulu and Netflix out of the water.. They have bluray and HD rips that I swear are crystal clear... and other streams that frankly suck quality-wise.. you just have to weed through it all to find the good stuff. But I am never ever at a loss for what to watch between them and YouTube. Best of all they are free.. and I watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it.

Haven't had a cable bill in 4 years.. and love it!

12. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    I did the free week and dis-enrolled. Netflix.

13. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Just make damn sure you are using a VPN, a lot of content providers let those sites stay up, track your IP address, and then sue you. I don't make enough money to settle a $150,000 civil suit, so I'm steering clear of that stuff.

14. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wait....even if you PAY for a Hulu account, you still have to watch the commercials?
    That sucks.

15. TelegramSam

Reputations:
    Only on some shows/movies, but it's the reason they have a lot of newer stuff than Netflix. I post in their forums occasionally (they take suggestions on what shows to add and problems with the service) and they're considering a higher priced plan that will be 100% free of commercials. I really don't care, I watch for the Criterion movies anyway and they are all commercial free and from the Criterion Blu-ray transfers.

16. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
  17. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    According to some girl I know that works at Hulu:

People who pay try to get their money's worth and end up watching more ads than non-paying customers.
    She laughed at me for buying it.

I have a Roku and it makes watching Colbert and a few other shows convenient.

18. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    roku is the shit

19. ElRexican

ElRexican Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Crackle is free on Roku... 10 new eps of Seinfeld each month

meep meep

20. Nurse Remulak

Nurse Remulak New Member

Reputations:
    That's what the lawyers who work for the studios want you to believe. But watching streaming videos is not making a copy of said video.. You only have a few brief seconds of said video in a buffer on your computer. (To keep the stream smooth.) So it is unlikely that buffering can give rise to a copyright claim.In Cartoon Network, LP v. CSC Holdings, Inc., 536 F.3d 121 (2d Cir. 2008), the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit held that buffering context did not create "copies" under the Copyright Act because it did not satisfy the "fixed copy" requirement.