News Hunter S Thompson's son talking about stuff

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by sstressed, Dec 31, 2015.

1. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Dec 13, 2011
    pretty interesting article if you enjoyed hunter's kind of insanity.

EXCLUSIVE The father I feared, loathed - and loved: Hunter S Thompson's son reveals a childhood with drink, drugs, guns, picnics and parties with Hells Angels and how he adored his 'alcoholic, idealistic' dad
    • Drink- and drug-fueled 'gonzo' journalist Hunter S. Thompson shot himself to death 10 years ago while his son was in the next room
    • Juan Thompson has written a memoir about his father and reveals how he was dangled as a baby in his arms - as his father shot his .44 Magnum
    • The younger Thompson has not followed in his father's footsteps and is a healthcare IT worker and married father of one
    • Book recalls how Thompson would sleep until the late afternoon, watch Walter Cronkite then go drinking - and take his son with him
    • Thompson said he would 'beat the s*** out' of his son if he took drugs and was a loving grandfather before his death
    • His son shares pictures showing life at home with his father - whose funeral saw his ashes fired out of a cannon paid for by Johnny Depp

PUBLISHED: 16:04 EST, 30 December 2015 | UPDATED: 19:05 EST, 30 December 2015

He was a gun-loving, hard-drinking 'outlaw journalist' with a taste for illegal substances.

Hunter S. Thompson reached the peak of his literary career in the mid-Seventies after his books, Hell's Angels and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, were published to great success.

His writing broke from conventional reporting and straddled both fiction and non-fiction, a unique approach dubbed 'Gonzo journalism' which turned him into a counter-culture icon and won him legions of fans.

Fear and Loathing was adapted into a 1998 movie starring Johnny Depp as Hunter's surrogate writer persona, Raoul Duke.

And now, a decade after the writer committed suicide at his Colorado ranch, his only son, Juan Thompson, has written a memoir revealing the truth behind the myth of his brilliant but often troubled father.

Favorite picture: Juan Thompson is held by his father as the gonzo journalist inspects a target he has fired at with his .44 Magnum.

No fear or loathing: Hunter S Thompson, his wife Sandy and son Juan at home at Owl Farm. In the background is the motorbike which Hunter would take Juan for rides on, a shared experience they bonded over

Happy family: Despite his hard-living, Thompson was a loving father - although his son came to fear the prospect of 'a beating'. His wife Sandy endured his drinking and affairs until Juan was a teenager

On the edge: Sometimes Hunter would crank up his Bultaco Matador trail motorcycle, I would climb on the back and hang on to him as tightly as I could, and we would race down the street'

Hunter, 67, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home on February 20, 2005, while Juan, his wife Jennifer and their seven-year-old son Will were in another room.

Juan's memoir, Stories I Tell Myself: Growing Up with Hunter S. Thompson, published on January 5, aims to correct skewed public perceptions of a man whose life was often obscured by his outrageous behavior.

Juan insists that there was a side to his father beyond the wild and entertaining tales - a loving father and grandfather whose influence he feels to this day.

He told Daily Mail Online: 'The biggest misconception is that Hunter was a party animal, that what he was about was getting f***** up on whatever and just having a good time and flouting societal rules, not for any real purpose beyond breaking the rules.

'That's not at all what he was about. I've asked a lot of people why he was important to them and many of them have read his books, and have what I would consider, a proper appreciation for what he was doing.

'But I think there's a lot of people who don't know that much about him and they see this caricature which he helped to create.

'This image of him as a clown - an interesting clown - but a clown.'

Juan, now 51, had a complex relationship with his father – a man who he describes in turn as 'an alcoholic and drug fiend, a wild, angry, passionate, sometimes dangerous, charismatic, unpredictable, irresponsible, idealistic, sensitive man with a powerful and deeply rooted sense of justice'.

Unlike his father, Juan is an IT healthcare worker and happily married father of one.

Stories I Tell Myself begins with a little-known side of Hunter - a married father to a young son struggling to find a foothold in his career.

Juan Thompson was born in March 1964 to Hunter and his wife of one year, Sandra, known as Sandy.

At the time they were living in a shack without heating in northern California and Sandy worked as a secretary to boost Hunter's meager earnings.

Juan writes: 'For food, he would occasionally shoot a deer or an elk. My mother told me that for the duration of her pregnancy she lived on elk meat (especially elk liver), salad, and milk.'

But the writer seemed contented as a new dad as Juan notes from the number of family photographs that existed from the time - not all of them exactly from the average family album.

Along with snapshots of the family in the garden and swimming pool, Juan writes about his favorite picture as 'a photo of Hunter standing beside a large tree with a target nailed to it, a .44 Magnum pistol in one hand and a tiny me in his other arm, pointing with the barrel of the gun at the tight grouping of shots in the center of the target'.

Ranch life: In 1968 Hunter bought Owl Farm in Colorado - and soon afterwards built a playhouse for Juan. 'You wouldn't, I wouldn't, think of Hunter as a dad who built a playhouse for his son, but there he is.'

Shared time: Hunter S Thompson's love of guns saw him and his son spend time together shooting and cleaning guns. Juan cleaned the semi-automatic pistol the gonzo journalist used the next day to kill himself

Growing up gonzo: Hunter, Sandy and Juan on the front lawn of their house in California, before Thompson's spectacular success as a journalist allowed him to buy the ranch in Colorado where lived until his death

Tough: Sandy Thompson with Juan. She supported her husband during her pregnancy when times were hard and they ate elk which he had hunted

In 1968 Hunter bought Owl Farm, the Colorado ranch where he would stay for the rest of his life.

Juan describes idyllic summers spent picnicking in the woods with his father and mother, Sandy, their friends and kids.

The secluded landscape was well-suited to his father's love of wild pranks and aptitude for explosions, bonfires and shooting practice.

Juan writes: 'Sometimes Hunter would crank up his Bultaco Matador trail motorcycle, I would climb on the back and hang on to him as tightly as I could, and we would race down the street.

'We never talked about it, it was just a quick motorcycle ride, but it was also a private adventure just between us. We didn't have that many of them, so those memories are precious.'

His son reveals a softer side to Hunter - including awkwardness with demonstrations of love and how he often tried to convey his feelings by giving his son thoughtful gifts.

In 1974, he went to Zaire for Rolling Stone magazine to cover the Rumble in the Jungle - the heavyweight championship boxing match between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman.

Hunter missed the fight because he was drunk at his hotel, but he returned with a pair of souvenir gold boxing gloves for Juan, Ali being one of the few people that the journalist unreservedly admired.

Read more:
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook