"I Am Cait" - Will It Be Howard's New Favorite Show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jul 23, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Jan 15, 2012

Bruce Jenner was born with a cock
    Bruce Jenner becomes VERY wealthy
    Bruce Jenner kills someone due to distracted drivng
    Bruce Jenner puts on panties and make-up
    Everyone thinks Bruce Jenner is courageous for putting on panties and make-up and forgets he killed someone
    Bruce Jenner conveniently has a reality show on the air to coincide with his putting on panties and make-up
    Bruce Jenner remains VERY wealthy
    Bruce Jenner still has a cock

Review: In ‘I Am Cait,’ Caitlyn Jenner Documents a Changing Self
    Caitlyn Jenner in a scene from "I Am Cait." Credit E!
    As Caitlyn Jenner continues to live out her well-documented gender transition, there’s one area in which she has returned to her heyday as Bruce Jenner, Olympic champion. Once again she’s a polished, effective pitchwoman, selling acceptance and transgender pride as capably as she once sold breakfast cereal.

Her new campaign continues on Sunday night with the premiere of “I Am Cait,” a glossy, eight-episode documentary series on E! from Bunim/Murray Productions, the reality powerhouse behind shows like “The Real World” and Ms. Jenner’s previous series, “Keeping Up With the Kardashians.” It’s the latest phase in a well-choreographed rollout that has included a two-hour interview with Diane Sawyer on ABC, a Vanity Fair cover and an appearance at ESPN’s ESPY Awards.

Based on that first episode, “I Am Cait” smoothly extends the resounding success of Ms. Jenner’s public transformation and cultural crusade — it accomplishes its inspirational, educational and motivational goals. (Later episodes were not available; presumably there hasn’t been a lot of time to film since Ms. Jenner began living as Caitlyn.) It doesn’t totally succeed as dramatic reality television, but perhaps that’s to be expected given how high the stakes are, both for the transgender cause and for Ms. Jenner’s personal brand.

Not a whole lot happens in the first hour of “I Am Cait,” and there’s not much to be learned for anyone who has watched the ABC interview. The main thing that’s new is the opportunity to see Ms. Jenner at length in full female hair, makeup and dress, and bounteous commentary is sure to ensue on her wardrobe choices — what do we think of the leopard number, the white pantsuit, the dark floral wrap? In one of the episode’s comic highlights, Ms. Jenner pulls an item out of her closet and her stepdaughter Kim Kardashian notes that Ms. Jenner’s former wife Kris Kardashian has the same dress.

This continues a trend in much of the coverage and presentation of Ms. Jenner, in which her appearance is the central focus, from her introduction as “the stunning Caitlyn Jenner” at the ESPYs to the scenes in “I Am Cait” of her in the makeup chair, her hair in curlers, and of her mother, Esther, saying, “I think he’s a very good-looking woman.” In a choice that’s both a corrective to this and a subtle affirmation of it, the show opens with Ms. Jenner in bed, looking great with no obvious makeup or styling.

The primary action of the premiere episode consists of a visit to Ms. Jenner’s ocean-view home by her mother and two sisters and a visit by Ms. Jenner to the parents of a transgender teenage boy who committed suicide in May. There’s a lot of earnest, supportive conversation, enlivened by a paparazzi chase and by Kim Kardashian’s appearance along with her husband, Kanye West, who is faintly hilarious in the role of the dutiful, trying-to-please son-in-law.

What’s missing is any real conflict, and you can see the producers working to gin some up — Esther Jenner expresses some honest, affecting confusion and anguish (but no real opposition), and there are hints that things may not go so well with Ms. Jenner’s male buddies and her stepchildren in future episodes. The general narrative arc is from mild apprehension to full acceptance.

Other current shows about transgender people, like TLC’s “I Am Jazz” (about the tremendously winning teenage girl Jazz Jennings) and ABC Family’s “Becoming Us,” are also generally upbeat but are more able to generate some tension and discord, perhaps because they focus on younger people and take place outside the celebrity bubble of affirmation.

Another factor is that Caitlyn Jenner, on screen, maintains the public personality of Bruce Jenner. That consistency is mentioned in the show — family members hope Ms. Jenner’s temperament won’t change — but no one talks about what exactly that entails. The truth is that Caitlyn and Bruce both appear to have some of the traits associated with athletic greatness: forcefulness combined with a lack of serious introspection, which would just be a distraction.

There’s no reason to doubt Ms. Jenner’s sincerity when she cites statistics about suicide among transgender teenagers or consoles a grieving parent, but you also can’t help noticing how she seems to be reading from a script. She has the qualities of an excellent decathlete, spokeswoman and even leader, but as a reality star she could take a few lessons in openness and spontaneity from the Kardashians.
  2. BenBas

BenBas Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    He' s being sued a bazillion $$$$$$ for the accident....will be making MILLIONA as "Cait"....it all makes sense :whistle:

It's soooo ridiculous that the media and EVERYONE ELSE goes along with calling Bruce Jenner SHE when SHE IS a HE ! HE can apply the best makeup....best hair extensions....and the hideous party dresses HE wears with matching heels (that he can't walk in ).....he's just a dude dressing up like a woman....a cross dresser! Bruce made it clear on The Kardashian show & Sawyer interview that he will NOT go forward with the final operation. He did have breast implants and facial surgery.
    HE is a man NOT a woman....

Just like calling Chaz Bono a MAN when SHE is a female! same thing.

I was surprised Howard never discusses the founder of Sirius who is trans=gender. He's still married to his wife unlike Bruce & Kris who divorced. SHE's who I feel sorry for ..25yrs believing this lie....if he truly loved her,,,they should have stayed married! If u are a fan of the show u would know that he was caught many times by the Kardashian girls in drag.....while they were out he would sneak into their closets and put on their clothes and makeup. Kim K. caught him once dressed as a woman....she jumped in her car and drove over to Sister Kourtney in tears!!! Bruce discussed this......and that his 2 failed marriages were because they caught him as well.....

btw....I'll be watching the show.....I'm sure the ratings will be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!

peace & love
    Scarlett Ohara, reno and BethSucks like this.
  3. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    BethSucks likes this.
  4. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2011
    Howard wants it as a guest on his show so he'll definitely keep promoting "I Am Cait". The sad thing is, Howard wouldn't have the balls to ask any of the questions he claims he wants answers to - he'd pussy-out just like he does with all his guests. He's a lot better at talking about what he would have done than he is at actually doing it. Caitlyn has more testosterone than Howard Stern.
  5. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

May 5, 2013
    I'm sick of the commercials with Bruce putting on the weird hormone tranny voice. It's really apparent they are shoving this freak down everyone's throat. The ads are on the rock radio station I listen to between a Metallica song and Led Zep. Not exactly the target audience.
  6. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Jan 10, 2012
    If "Cait" is ever on Howards show, I hope they don't wear the same dress.