I am canceling my cable

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Shine, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    I find myself watching Netflix more than anything. I got magicjack as well for my phone. The only bill I will have left is my cable Internet from those cock suckers at comcast. Anyone else do this? Any tips? I have the hd antennas already.

2. Gwarn1

Gwarn1 Worlds poorest sugar daddy VIP

Reputations:
    I did last year, pissed my kids off sumthin awful but I got a roku box and hardly missed cable, the only thing that sucks is cable news and sports. So I gotta computer to hook up to the tv to stream sports, it worked but I got fired the next day so I returned the computer

3. fenderbaum

fenderbaum Active Member

Reputations:
    I hope to get there soon, I am new to Netflix, but I have downgraded my movie channels as I never watch movies on cable anymore.

4. Shine

Shine 2012 rookie of the year VIP

Reputations:
    What is roku box?

5. Gwarn1

Reputations:
    It's a little box the size of a hockey puck you plug into your tv and it streams Netflix Hulu and a bunch of other Channels, hbo go (but you can't get that one without a cable subscription) NHL, MLB, crackle, they even have a fox news Chanel but it shuts off at 3pm eastern. It's like 80 bucks but worth it if you cut the cable cord

6. Gwarn1

Reputations:
    Oh it works off your wifi

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

Reputations:
    how do you like that magicjack for your phone? I was thinking about getting that just so I'd have a home phone in addition to my cell.

8. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    do you get the same speed on cable internet if you don't subscribe to cable tv, i heard your speeds are reduced?

9. synch22

synch22 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I did it last year, re-upped for football season and just cut it again. Don't forget since u have internet u should just keep the limited basic which is locals and few other channels including hd for 13$ and some change.
    I have 2 lifetime tivos and cable cards installed, copy the shit out of pbs and other channels I have

10. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
    I had the MagicJack a few years ago when I was a slave to a Verizon cell mins plan. It's pretty cool, just that your computer has to be on & if you make or receive calls, a box with a keypad & ads pops up. Plus, if you're making a call, you can't be doing anything else like streaming or downloading because the call gets choppy.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  11. gearhead

gearhead New Member

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to try it. Those minor inconveniences won't bother me. Right now I only have a cell phone but I prefer to talk on a "real" phone when I'm home and involved in long conversations with family and friends. (I live in a different state than many of them)