I don't get what the hubbub is about

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The one billboard is a piece of art, the one welcoming the "disaster-in-chief" looks like shit:hehe:

Billboard honoring KKK founder on display near Selma bridge on anniversary of historic march
    BY Rich Schapiro
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Friday, March 6, 2015, 5:59 PM
    [​IMG]
    The billboard honors Ku Klux Klan founder Nathan Bedford Forrest.
    WelKKKome to Selma!

Within sight of the bridge where President Obama will commemorate the 1965 Bloody Sunday march is a billboard set up by a group dedicated to honoring Ku Klux Klan founder Nathan Bedford Forrest.

The sign, set up in recent days, invites visitors to see "Selma's War Between The States Historic Sites." But it also features a picture of the Confederate flag and an image of Forrest, who was also a Confederate general.

Beside Forrest's picture is a quote adopted by his men: "Keep the skeer on 'em."

In a bizarre twist, the other side of the billboard — a straight shot and about a half-mile east of the Edmund Pettus Bridge — contains a welcome message to President Obama.

"Selmapostherald.com Welcomes President Barack Obama and you to Selma," it reads.

[​IMG] Jefferson Siegel/New York Daily News
    The other side of the billboard features a welcome sign for Obama and the others trekkingn to Selma, Ala., to commemorate the historic march’s 50th anniversary.
    The Forrest billboard irked several Selma residents and visitors in town to celebrate the events that inspired the signing of the Voting Rights Act.

“It should be taken down,” said Flossie Menifee, 67, who grew up in Selma. "The Ku Klux Klan, the hatred, the prejudice, I think it's always going to be in Selma."

Kirsten Muller, of San Francisco, said she was "shocked" by the sight of the billboard.

"It feels threatening because we think of Forrest as the founder of the KKK and that reminds us of the violence,” said Muller, 59, co-founder of international human rights organization Global Exchange.

The head of the group behind the controversial billboard scoffed at the suggestion that some might find it offensive.

‘It should be taken down,’ said Flossie Menifee of the sign. ‘The Ku Klux Klan, the hatred, the prejudice, I think it's always going to be in Selma.’
    "That billboard was put there with positive intent to ask people who come to Selma to explore and enjoy our 19th century history," said Patricia Goodwin, head of the group Friends of Forrest Inc.

"Does it say anything in the Constitution where a certain faction of people cannot be offended?" she added. "I'm offended by all these people walking around with their pants hanging around their knees."

Goodwin said she chose the location because it was highly visible to visitors. She insisted that it has nothing to do with the KKK or Forrest’s role in its founding.

Hundreds of protesters seeking to march to Montgomery were beaten with police whips and billy clubs atop the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma on March 7 — a day now known as Bloody Sunday.

Two weeks later, hundreds of protesters reached Montgomery after marching for five days from Selma.

President Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act, which prohibited racial discrimination at the polls, on Aug. 6, 1965.

Scarlett Ohara, smichal and TeeDonkey like this.
  2. Johnboos

Johnboos New Member

Reputations:
    Maybe youre joking...
    That said, I had know idea that such blatant, disturbing, and disgusting racism still existed in this country until joining this forum.

STOP THE CLOCK
    OVER AND OUT

HTJ, Thikken Vaney and Droog like this.
  3. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

4. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You'll never know:bigthink

TeeDonkey likes this.
  5. TeeDonkey

TeeDonkey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

So we can count on a Gold status subscription from ya.... :yay:

6. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some people behave as if stupidity was a virtue.

Mulletude likes this.
  7. Winston Ono

Winston Ono Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Shortwave98 and Mulletude like this.
  8. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Two sides of the same coin.

Shortwave98 and Head Censor like this.
  9. Scarlett Ohara

Scarlett Ohara VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    "Does it say anything in the Constitution where a certain faction of people cannot be offended?" she added. "I'm offended by all these people walking around with their pants hanging around their knees."

Shortwave98 likes this.
  10. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

Why do so many sheep these days refuse to think for themselves and instead allow themselves to be led around by the nose?

Before anyone gets all butthurt looking at this billboard, please understand that this historical quote as uttered by Gen. Forrest was made in reference to the Union soldiers that his men were about to face in battle. He was rallying his troops prior to a Civil War engagement. The statement had nothing to do with the KKK or blacks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  11. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    Since we're honoring the 50 years since Bloody Sunday, lets not forget Artie who helped get us there as well. A true patriot! :salute:

[​IMG]
    @dawg

12. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Artie walked all the way there from Delaware.

Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  13. Tanks4Nutthin

Tanks4Nutthin Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :facepalm:

14. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I'm no expert, but the level of ignorance of the typical simplistic American as they pontificate about this or that is incredible. Crack a book sometime, people.

Forrest was one of, if not the greatest performing general, of the Civil war. He defeated much bigger forces and tied up numerous union forces with his tactics of high mobility and hit and run. This was very modern in his tactics for the time. He was also a slave holder and a hard man who personally killed many men in combat. He even threatened to kill Confederate General Braxton Bragg, in charge of the Army in the "West" (Georgia, Tennessee, etc) if he crossed him again with his bullshit.

He was in command at Fort Pillow, but reports of a "massacre" there are contested, and typical of the time exaggerations from the press about war events make determining what actually happened difficult. He captured numerous other black and white union soldiers in other battles. So if the massacre happened, it seems doubtful it was he who ordered it.

Forrest was in the Klan. He was asked to become a leader as the organization grew. He did not "found" it. It's unclear if he was even ever the Grand Dragon or whatever it's called. He later distanced himself from it after it became violent and resigned. He claimed he and other leaders worked to convince blacks that a return to the pre-war social status quo (except with no slavery) was in their best interests. Which, for many who died or were beaten later, it would have been, in the short term.

He later testified about the KKK in front of Congress.

He at some point changed his attitudes towards blacks and worked to achieve reconcilliation. For the time, he was considered "progressive" about race in the South.

He was certainly less evil than many "heroes" of the war, including men of both sides, such as Sherman, Quantrill, Bill Anderson, Senator James Lane, and others who probably have statues of them standing somewhere too.

This is a speech he gave to a black audience

"Ladies and Gentlemen I accept the flowers as a memento of reconciliation between the white and colored races of the southern states. I accept it more particularly as it comes from a colored lady, for if there is any one on God's earth who loves the ladies I believe it is myself. ( Immense applause and laughter.) This day is a day that is proud to me, having occupied the position that I did for the past twelve years, and been misunderstood by your race. This is the first opportunity I have had during that time to say that I am your friend. I am here a representative of the southern people, one more slandered and maligned than any man in the nation.
    I will say to you and to the colored race that men who bore arms and followed the flag of the Confederacy are, with very few exceptions, your friends. I have an opportunity of saying what I have always felt - that I am your friend, for my interests are your interests, and your interests are my interests. We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, and live in the same land. Why, then, can we not live as brothers? I will say that when the war broke out I felt it my duty to stand by my people. When the time came I did the best I could, and I don't believe I flickered. I came here with the jeers of some white people, who think that I am doing wrong. I believe that I can exert some influence, and do much to assist the people in strengthening fraternal relations, and shall do all in my power to bring about peace. It has always been my motto to elevate every man- to depress none. (Applause.) I want to elevate you to take positions in law offices, in stores, on farms, and wherever you are capable of going.
    I have not said anything about politics today. I don't propose to say anything about politics. You have a right to elect whom you please; vote for the man you think best, and I think, when that is done, that you and I are freemen. Do as you consider right and honest in electing men for office. I did not come here to make you a long speech, although invited to do so by you. I am not much of a speaker, and my business prevented me from preparing myself. I came to meet you as friends, and welcome you to the white people. I want you to come nearer to us. When I can serve you I will do so. We have but one flag, one country; let us stand together. We may differ in color, but not in sentiment. Use your best judgement in selecting men for office and vote as you think right.
    Many things have been said about me which are wrong, and which white and black persons here, who stood by me through the war, can contradict. I have been in the heat of battle when colored men, asked me to protect them. I have placed myself between them and the bullets of my men, and told them they should be kept unharmed. Go to work, be industrious, live honestly and act truly, and when you are oppressed I'll come to your relief. I thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for this opportunity you have afforded me to be with you, and to assure you that I am with you in heart and in hand." (Prolonged applause.):

TheJackiePuppet and cg256 like this.