I don't understand the Palm Beach house thing

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RonniesPaceCar, Jun 23, 2013.

1. RonniesPaceCar

RonniesPaceCar New Member

Reputations:
    Does that imply he's going to retire in 3 years? That would be inconsistent with his behavior thus far. There's still some money on the table, albeit not $100 million / year, and I actually believe he still wants to work. What the fuck would he do all day down there for the next 30 years?

The alternative is he continues to work in NYC, keeps the Manhattan apartment, and then... an enormous $52 million mansion sits empty most of the time? Beth lives down there by herself with the cats? Does he fly a private jet down there every weekend?

He can't do the show over an ISDN like if he's going to have guests to interview.

None of this makes sense.

2. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He doesn't need to do anything, By the time he walks around the place and uses all the bathrooms- He'll be dead

3. Bonehead

Bonehead Member

Reputations:
    Well let's see, if I had his money and worked three days a week, I'd be on a jet Wednesday afternoon heading to Palm Beach.
    Especially in the winter, which I assume was the purpose of purchasing this house, no brainer.

4. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    It doesn't make much sense. But the NYC apartment "bachelor pad" didn't make much sense until we found out he was separated. There's something going on we aren't privy to yet.
    That's what Limbaugh did for years (except he worked until Friday). But then the Hamptons house is vacant - until Beth gets that in a divorce...

5. RonniesPaceCar

Reputations:
    Could it be some kind of bizarre play to mitigate Howard's losses in the upcoming divorce? e.g. Does making that cash illiquid somehow minimize the payment that Beth will receive? Is it possible this tactic is something Beth isn't even AWARE of?

6. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Maybe, but I tend to believe Howard has an airtight prenup.

7. RonniesPaceCar

Reputations:
    Let's say if Howard made $20 mil per year on AGT, he probably cleared, after taxes + Buchwald, $8 mil? So this house represents the equivalent of 6-7 seasons worth of AGT, not to mention the insane maintenance, insurance, etc. that are going to come along with it. He doesn't buy this house if he's not going to sell the Hamptons estate and live in it full time. Which means he retires in 3 years.

8. cokeen

cokeen Active Member

Reputations:
    :jj:

After this contract he's done. Robin's in a bad way, Artie's gone...he'll finish his career the way it started (him and Fred) and that will be it. It's an unfortunate and legacy-sullying end to a pretty great career.

9. Martina

Martina New Member

Reputations:
    My theory it's corporate housing. Whoever is paying Stern [AGT/NBC/Sirius] the top corporate guys who own Stern own the mansion in Florida. Why the big overpayment on that mansion? Because corporations are owned by investors, they need to see a return on their investment. Anyone in the Stern world can use the mansion...including his darling daughters and the Ostrosky Clan...and Beth can get her plastic surgery done in private. Hamptons is a summer job for Beth...all the Hamptons magazine parties are there, all the screenings of horrible movies, photo ops, while real celebrities and the super rich are vacationing in Europe.

10. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :secret:he will make florida his permanent residence to save millions in taxes.

11. HooHoo

HooHoo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    this has kind of already been covered here in other threads but #1 reason is by establishing residency there it offers him significant tax dodging advantages

12. Dlist

Dlist Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    A $52M mansion is a gross display of excess, and unnecessary for 2 people. This coming from a man who says he values a dollar. It is a disgrace.:facepalm:

13. Trophy Knife

Trophy Knife Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know, if Robin can do it, he probably figures he can too. The guests can come to the Sirius/XM studio, and he can interview them remotely. There are also plenty of people in FL he can have on (Trump comes to mind). He may see this as a win-win.

... and he can write off the second house (studio) as a business expense.

14. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    The show will be 10 times worse if he does this ISDN bull shit. There will be no spontaneity because there will be no interaction with the staff. believe me the show will be even worse if he is down there.

Robin can you here me? Howard, Howard is that you. I can here you. Oh wait I had you for a second then out cut out. Robin, robin say something! :facepalm:

15. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    Lots of rich celebrities have more than one house. It's not really that odd for them.
    For average people like us, it is somewhat incomprehensible to have a house sit vacant most of the time.

16. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    I would be stunned if Stern doesn't retire at the end of this current contract.
    Frankly, I don't think these past few years will do a thing to Stern's "legacy"...He'll also be remembered as the foul mouth shock jock who changed radio.
    Few mainstream people will even give the last underachieving years a second thought.

17. Yomama

Yomama Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    what don't you get - palm beach is 3 hours away from NY - the same amount of time it takes to get from the city to the hamptons (in the summer it could take Howard up to 4 hrs to get to his house because of hampton's traffic). He will go there for the weekend (his weekend is 4 days) - not to mention the amount of time off he gets.

It's a second home, almost everyone with $ has 2nd &3rd homes.
    Besides, real estate is a good place to park your money these days.

18. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    :giggle:

19. Herc

Herc New Member

Reputations:
    No Prenup is completely airtight . . . :secret:

20. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    This. Many many MANY wealthy people do this. It's a nice little tax strategy for those that can afford it.