i hope the goodwill doesn't take offense at this donation i'm giving them

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Harry Gibbs, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Harry Gibbs

Harry Gibbs the boss of all men

Reputations:
    i went through a bunch of stuff preparing to move in august and ended up packing up a ton of stuff to give to good will (could have a garage sale, but i don't want to spend the time sitting there arguing with amish women haggling about 10 cents). i'm donating this book from college and i hope it isn't going to cause problems at goodwill.

[​IMG]

Orgy Pants and VeeB like this.
  2. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    Nigged

Harry Gibbs likes this.
  3. Harry Gibbs

Reputations:
    our reg.

DarkFriday likes this.
  4. Just Peachy

Just Peachy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I have no comment on your donations, Dink. But I made $1200 at my last garage sale. I set prices reasonably high and I don't budge. People usually keep eyeing the thing they want and come back for it. :jj: One woman stuck around all afternoon thinking I was going to lower Christmas china to about $10.00. The damn set was worth about $500.00. I still have it. :D

DarkFriday and Harry Gibbs like this.
  5. Harry Gibbs

Reputations:
    i really think i'd make some good scratch but i just don't have time to do it. :(

that's awesome that the lady waited and got stiffed. :rofl:

DarkFriday likes this.
  6. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Donate books to the library.

It belongs in a library.
    [​IMG]

7. Just Peachy

Reputations:

Yes, it's true garage sales are a pain in the ass. I organize and tag everything, I'm a little OCD. If someone wanted a deal, I told my ex-boyfriend that the person had to come haggle with me and me only. I know what things are worth. I don't like getting ripped off just out of convenience. I would rather donate the items if they don't sale. Fuck 'em.

harlock, Harry Gibbs and DarkFriday like this.
  8. FtM

FtM Starless & Bible Black Gold

Reputations:
    I worked briefly at Goodwill as a teen, sorting stuff to put on the floor is up to the discretion of the sorter. If an item is really damaged or offends the person sorting it, it goes in a rubbish bin. When I worked there I saw stuff thrown away all the time by sorters that had Confederate flags on it and stuff like that.

9. Just Peachy

Reputations:
    I'm a member of my local library's group and they set up sales about 6 times a year. You'd be amazed at how many books get donated that the library can't use. 10 copies of the same thing, things in bad shape, completely outdated editions, etc. But still, it's good to donate books and let them figure it out.

10. harlock

harlock ancora imparo Gold

Reputations:
    do they ever get anything really rare/cool?

11. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Oh sorry. The correct response was

SO DO YOU

[​IMG]

12. VeeB

VeeB I have a Full Member VIP

Reputations:
    You must not live in an area with a fuckton of Asians like I do. After a half day of a garage sale, I was about to commit Hari Kari.

Every fucking Asian that has ever attended a yard sale: How much this?

You: $5

Them: Nooooooooooooo, I give you 10 cent! Final offer!

Harry Gibbs likes this.
  13. Just Peachy

Reputations:
    Well this is my problem, I never get to see the rare/cool stuff. Or the college textbooks people donated. The library used to have a policy that people with scanners couldn't scan textbooks or items to see estimated values. They felt it was not a fair practice to the average joe who wants to come out and support the library and get something for a good deal or for rarity, etc. Then, some dumbfuck over there decided that money equals money and started to allow it. I swear there are people that show up with boxes in hand ready to scan everything that looks like a steal to them. They act quickly and rudely too. They know time is money. They'll take $100 college textbooks and pay $2 for them. Then jack up the price to just below what the college is charging. That just doesn't seem fair to me for people that really need those low prices, scanners should definitely be banned. Also, for rare items, I've never seen any first editions that caught my eye, unfortunately. I would go just for hobbyist type books, copies of newer books that interest me but never got around to, or things that don't read well on the iPad or Kindle. And books for toddlers also catch my eye because of my job. But that's about it.

14. Just Peachy

Reputations:

You know Veeb, that works both ways too. When I was in China, I was told by my friend to NEVER pay what they are asking for. Not even half. The deal was you had to look completely disinterested and move away from the table. They would come running after you, naming your price! It was just interesting to see. I rarely ever did that because if I was buying something that was meaningful, I would pay an honest price for it, like hand-carved wood or hand-painted art. But for junky, tourist crap, I would definitely haggle by that practice.

15. harlock

Reputations:
    people can be real jerkoffs :burn:

gwartney likes this.
  16. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    I love going to garage sales when I have time. My best buy was a pair of Definitive Technology tower speakers for $25. The people didn't know what they had and I got them for half of what they were asking. It's a little like pulling a slot machine though. For every great bargain, you end up going to 25 shitty garage sales with dirty baby clothes for sale. We have hords of Mexicans that go to garage sales. A lot of them have large families and can clothe their kids for practically nothing. A lot of them can be really rude and they let their snot nosed kids play with all of the stuff. It's nothing to pull up to a garage sale and see an old Suburban pull up and unload about 10 people that all go running to the sale.

Harry Gibbs likes this.
  17. VeeB

Reputations:
    That's why I stopped having garage sales. It is their culture, and there just isn't any avoiding it. I just stick all my shit on the curb with one of those green donation cards that random churches and charities leave a couple of times a month.

Harry Gibbs likes this.
  18. VeeB

Reputations:
    Here, the Mexicans like to come around to the garage sales at the end, when you just want to get rid of your shit and don't care for how much. They will straight up ask for it for free, or will offer you like $2 for everything. You are so tired of looking at the shit you almost pay them to take it away, and the next week your shit is being sold at their bi-weekly yard sale in front of their apartment complex.

Harry Gibbs and gwartney like this.
  19. harlock

Reputations:
    circle of shit

keywordpk and gwartney like this.
  20. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    We have a garage sale about once a year but i can't deal with them. I help the wife and kids set it up then go inside for the duration. We've had every annoying person you can imagine plus some organized shoplifting. can you imagine what type of person goes to a garage sale and takes a .50 sticker off of something and puts it on an item that is supposed to be a dollar? Or they carry something over and ask about it but never put it down and walk away still holding it. They do make a lot of money at them though.

harlock likes this.