I hope this sets a precedent

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Texas woman awarded nearly $230K after getting 153 robocalls from Time Warner
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015, 8:45 AM
    [​IMG] Mark Lennihan/AP
    A federal judge awarded a Texas woman nearly $230,000 after Time Warner harassed her with 153 robocalls.
    NEW YORK — A federal judge has awarded nearly $230,000 to a Texas woman, saying a cable company harassed her with 153 robocalls even after she complained about the wrong numbers.

U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein in Manhattan ordered Time Warner Cable Inc. on Tuesday to make the $229,500 payment to Araceli King of Irving, Texas, citing the New York-based company's "particularly egregious" behavior as it violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991.

King sued last year, saying she had repeatedly asked the company to stop making the calls.

Susan Leepson, a Time Warner spokeswoman, said the company is reviewing its options and determining how to proceed.

Hellerstein said he tripled the $1,500 penalty for each call because Time Warner's actions were "particularly egregious" since it continued making the calls even after King complained in a seven-minute phone conversation in October 2013 with a company representative that the calls to her phone were apparently meant for a customer she did not know.

The judge noted that 74 of the calls were made after Time Warner received a copy of King's lawsuit in March 2014.

The company's "recurring theme" in its legal arguments was that it was an unwitting victim of an unpredictable federal law that was not intended to turn an innocuous call to a wrong number into large damages, the judge said.

"The responsible company will reduce its exposure dramatically by taking proactive steps to mitigate damages, while its competitor, who unthinkingly robo-dials the same person hundreds of time over many months without pausing to wonder why it cannot reach him, cannot complain about much higher liability," the judge wrote.

King's lawyer, Sergei Lemberg, said his client is delighted.

He said the decision sends a message to consumers to "stop taking it on the chin" when robocalls don't stop and a message to companies that it's necessary to pay attention to human beings, even when technology is used to make repeated calls.

"Millions of U.S. consumers get robocalls. Only a few of them take it a step forward and get a lawyer," the Stamford, Connecticut, attorney said.

IfTheyOnlyKnew, Dorb, smichal and 8 others like this.
  2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it's a free country and all but how about they just make them illegal altogether
    and also make door to door sales shit a crime
    including those little cunts and their shitty fucking cookies

fuck yeah

3. PSU Shower Room

PSU Shower Room Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Time Warner customers should be on the lookout for their $20 rate hikes in the near future.

IfTheyOnlyKnew, reno, Dorb and 5 others like this.
  4. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:

5. LawyerLarry

LawyerLarry Mr. Fuckmoney in the Bank VIP

Reputations:
    The most disturbing part is that lunatic would answer the phone for telemarketers that many times.

IfTheyOnlyKnew likes this.
  6. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    nomorobo.com

7. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Russia and France Know What to Do

Reputations:
    The precedent is Obama, and he is already set.

What's ure point?

Dorb and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  8. cetiya

cetiya Lunatic

Reputations:
    I wish someone would call me that many times! She really hit the jackpot. Some people get all the luck!

9. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    Not everything needs to be made political. I know, you're on the side of the cable company.:rolleyes:

scoobyla likes this.
  10. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How much is the lawyer going to leave her with? Ten grand maybe.

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  11. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    >U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein

Hellerstein! He's the one that's handled all the 9/11 widow's cases. His son lives on an illegal kibbutz in Israel. He's a Jew through and through. You definitely need to include him in the very long list of Jews involved in 9/11.

But in this case he did a good thing.

12. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :rolleyes:

I assume you're referring to the 400 or so who were pulverized into dust when the towers came down?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Scarlett Ohara likes this.
  13. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Huh. I'd heard it was two. I like the story of the elderly man reading some Jewish ritual text on the ground floor that morning, and the faithful being too pious to get to their offices.

How many goyim were sacrificed? Not that it matters. The Talmud tells us so.

14. Head Censor

Reputations:
    :jj:

Way to stay informed.

15. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh, wait, all the Jews in the WTC ran back INTO the building to save goyim. Such noble people.

Say, what about those five dancing Mossad agents arrested after being witnessed videotaping and celebrating the WTC collapse? INTERESTING.

16. Head Censor

Reputations:
    Thankfully, I wasn't there that morning, Eichmann, but it's my understanding that, with the exception of the police and firefighters on scene, the urge to exit the towers pretty much transcended race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. :dontknow:

Okay, now this one's easy to explain. The Mossad agents were relieved that the air-to-ground missiles (which they had mounted under the wings of the remotely controlled jet liners whose passengers had previously been offloaded and were now being executed in a CIA hangar) launched into the towers at precisely the moment they had intended. It was a technological coup that they pulled off and I think the joy they displayed is completely understandable.

SouthernListen likes this.
  17. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Dats a good one. LOL
    Proves that even pitcher heads full of kool aid can be funny sometimes.

18. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Just get yourself one of these off Ebay
    [​IMG]

19. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    The scariest thing in that article is Charter and time Warner being allowed to merge. Put that alongside the current DirecTV ATT merger and we are going to be choice less and fucked.

20. x76

x76 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How long did Israeli-owned companies strive to get the WTC security contract? All the better to spray the support surfaces with nanothermite, my pretty. The WTC didn't just collapse, it was disintegrated.