I just about got scammed

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Real, May 19, 2011.

1. Real

Real Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    A guy called up wanting to buy 200 tires. I said no problem, how do you want pay for them? He told me he would wire the money ($25,000) to us. As he is telling me this I Google.com his name and get this:

CON MAN SENTENCED FOR STEALING COMPANY
    April 10,2006. Salt Lake City, Utah . . . . The Utah Division of Securities announced
    that XXXXXXXXX, 45, was sentenced today for fraudulently persuading a company owner to
    transfer ownership of a company and its assets to him. XXXX, from Salt Lake County, pleaded
    guilty on January 3 0 , 2 0 0 6 to attempted securities fraud, a third degree felony.
    In April 2005, XXXX was charged one count of securities fraud (a second degree felony)
    for making false statements and omitting to disclose material information in connection with the
    offer or sale of an investment. XXXX had told the owners of Exotic Media that they were in
    violation of Utah's securities laws and had to transfer ownership of the company to him to avoid
    criminal charges. Exotic Media published Exotic Cars Magazine. XXXX initially was hired as a
    consultant to Exotic Media, then told the owners they were in violation of the law. He falsely
    claimed to be an intermediary with the Utah Division of Securities and said the owners could
    avoid jail only by transferring the company and its assets to him.
    The fraudulent statements included claims the company's books had been reviewed by
    the Division of Securities, that the company was in violation of the law, that XXXX could help
    them avoid criminal prosecution if they gave him the company and its assets, and that the owners
    would be granted immunity. XXXX failed to disclose that he had a criminal history of bad checks
    and drug violations and unpaid tax liens of more than $150,000.
    XXXX was sentenced to three years probation, 200 hours of community service, restitution
    of $3,800, and an order that he complete mental health evaluation and treatment programs

When I questioned him about this he did admit to it, but said that was in the past and he was suing the state of Utah about this. I told him I'm not interested in making the sale and hung up.

Scary stuff!

2. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    Oderus? :right:

3. nazdrowie

nazdrowie Sultan of Sweat Gold

Reputations:
    you're a smart man, Real.

and $125 per tire sounds reasonable.

4. Real

Reputations:
  5. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    Good catch

You could have said sure no problem I only accept fed wires and then get him busted at the fed level if he pulled something on you

6. SIPAWITZ

SIPAWITZ Bialy Whore Banned User

Reputations:
    if the guy wires you 25K and you have the cash in hand before you ship the tires.....whats the downside?

7. Real

Reputations:
    Thats what I've been thinking about all day. Did I just blow a sale? I just felt funny about the whole deal as soon as he called. 200 tires is a big order, but we have other dealers who do that every week.

8. Partyxanimal

Partyxanimal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you didn't know of him it's probably a good thing that you don't take a chance on a 25K loss.