Amazon Prime

I predict record turnout for today's election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by booybob, Nov 6, 2012.

1. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Shot Dead

Reputations:
    I live in a small ass town of less than 5,000 people and i had to wait in line 45 minutes to vote today. if the lines were like this in my town I can't imagine what they are going to be like in the major cities and bigger towns.

2. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    I'm thinking local polling infrastructure and experience has a lot to do with it. I live in a town with about 18000 residents, and my polls were not too busy when I showed up early, my wife got through even quicker and she went after me. The big cities are going to be hammered though.

3. I invented that

I invented that VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Ohio has cut the number of polling places. They've combined three stations into the place i used to vote. Fuckin place is packed 2 hour wait.

4. sarnie

sarnie a.k.a. sarine VIP

Reputations:
    the sheeples must be lead to the slaughter

5. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Well at least your vote will really mean something. Ohio is where the action is.

6. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    ...true about ohio but we will probably get virginia results first, if obama wins virginia or florida it doesnt bode well for the gop.

7. I invented that

Reputations:
    It's most tensest.

8. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    I predict MSNBC and especially Rev Al will be the best entertainment on TV tonight (although the Daily Show will be funnier and more accurate)

9. I invented that

Reputations:
    Rev Al never disappoints.

10. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...rev al does not speak especially well but he has a train of thought. id say nbc, and msnbc have some long experienced political analysts. fox is absurd and cnn can be good too depending on which panel is on.

11. I invented that

Reputations:
    Hard to believe those words came from your mouth.

12. R.P. McMurphy

Reputations:
    ...you should have started paying attention sooner.

13. Magnificent Mr. Hole

Magnificent Mr. Hole Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Turnout will be in the low 60%s which is sad.

14. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    good and bad. good that people are taking their civic duty srs, and bad that it matters. in an ideal America, the man at the helm would be invisible

15. Bosch76

Bosch76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Republicans do not want people to vote. if you were curious why the right wants to make it hard to vote.

[video=youtube;pN7IB-d7Hfw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN7IB-d7Hfw[/video]

16. MatthewT

Reputations:
    no criminals
    no illegal aliens
    no dead people
    not more than once

that doesn't seem onerous to me

17. Bosch76

Bosch76 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    When has that happened? That also is not why the right does not want people to vote. Did you watch the video?

BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  18. booybob

booybob Well-Known Member Shot Dead

Reputations:
    hell, even the UN Election Monitors are shocked that we DON"T REQUIRE PHOTO ID TO VOTE.

[h=1]Foreign election officials amazed by trust-based U.S. voting system[/h]
    [h=2]Posted By Josh Rogin [​IMG] Tuesday, November 6, 2012 - 2:29 PM [​IMG] [​IMG] Share[/h]
    [​IMG]
    For the head of Libya's national election commission, the method by which Americans vote is startling in that it depends so much on trust and the good faith of election officials and voters alike.

"It's an incredible system," said Nuri K. Elabbar, who traveled to the United States along with election officials from more than 60 countries to observe today's presidential elections as part of a program run by the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES). Your humble Cable guy visited polling places with some of the international officials this morning. Most of them agreed that in their countries, such an open voting system simply would not work.
    "It's very difficult to transfer this system as it is to any other country. This system is built according to trust and this trust needs a lot of procedures and a lot of education for other countries to adopt it," Elabbar said.
    The most often noted difference between American elections among the visitors was that in most U.S. states, voters need no identification. Voters can also vote by mail, sometimes online, and there's often no way to know if one person has voted several times under different names, unlike in some Arab countries, where voters ink their fingers when casting their ballots.
    The international visitors also noted that there's no police at U.S. polling stations. In foreign countries, police at polling places are viewed as signs of security; in the United States they are sometimes seen as intimidating.
    Sara Al-Utaibi, IFES deputy country director in Jordan, said that the fact that voting is done differently in different U.S. states is highly unusual. In Maryland, for example, electronic voting is common, whereas in Washington paper ballots predominate. If there are different voting procedures within another country, someone assumes fraud or abuse, she said.
    "What's very unique about the way the Americans do it, it's not the process, it's the confidence that's placed in the process," she said. "This is what lacks in other countries. They say if this would happen in Arab countries it would not work the way it does in the United States."
    Many of the visiting international officials noted that there were no observers at the polling places to ensure that proper voting procedures were being followed. IFES staffers explained to them that in the United States, election observers are sent by the political parties, which wouldn't use their limited resources inside the District of Columbia, where President Barack Obama is a heavy favorite.
    Many of the visiting election officials were from emerging democracies, including Tunisia, Indonesia, Russia, Nigeria, and Yemen. The will spend a total of four days in the United States in a series of workshops and seminars.
    "The point is to bring the highest-level commissioners and election staff here so they can connect and exchange ideas," said Ambar Riaz Zobairi, IFES deputy regional director for the Middle East and North Africa. "The overall point is to highlight the very interesting electoral process that we have here."
    Provisional ballots are also a source of puzzlement for international officials. American voters who don't find their names on the rolls can vote anyway and verify their eligibility days later, a system not often found abroad. Ballots in foreign countries are often not as complicated as ballots in the United States.
    "Their ballots are simple. We have a range of things on our ballot, referendums and such. In most countries, it's just president and parliament," said Cindy McCormick, an IFES consultant with more than 30 years of election monitoring experience.
    One observer from Lebanon who did not want to be quoted pressed staffers on how the ballots are handled before and after voting day. He was amazed that ballots are sent directly to poll workers and that the handling of those ballots after the voting ends is also entrusted to local poll workers.
    In Morocco, the poll workers take the unused ballots outside at the end of the night and burn them, McCormick said. In Russia, unused ballots are piled up and a poll worker drives a spike though the pile with a hammer. In The Gambia, a country in West Africa, each voter is given exactly one marble, which they place in one of the large marble collecting jars that are set up for each candidate.
    "The polls workers are listening because when the marble goes into the jar, there's a ding. And if there are two dings, maybe somebody came in with extra marbles in their pocket, so they call the police," she said.
    Asked how Gambians do a recount with the marble-based voting system, McCormick said, "I have no idea."

19. MatthewT

Reputations:
    they're shocked that we let millions of mexicans enter illegally, feed them, clothe them, give them money, welfare, housing, free education (in their native language!).....none of them are that stupid

20. MatthewT

Reputations:
    A woman wearing an MIT t-shirt was barred from voting Florida, according to a local report. MIT stands for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, not Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

"A woman attempting to vote in West Boca Raton this morning was initially prohibited from entering the polling place because she was wearing a tee shirt with the letters MIT," BocaNewsNow.com reports.

"BocaNewsNow.com has heard from multiple sources that an election supervisor at the polling place ultimately realized that MIT stands for “Massachusetts Institute of Technology” — a school where students tend to know how to spell — and was not a campaign shirt for the Republican candidate, who spells his name MITT. Campaigning is not permitted within several yards of a polling place."

Fortuntaly, the woman was ultimately allowed to vote. "The woman was ultimately allowed to vote," the local report reads.