I really hate reality TV.

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by eliasbboy, Oct 12, 2010.

1. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    Where the hell are normal television shows? It used to be a novelty to see something "real" on TV, like COPS. I'm sitting here as bored as Booey in Vegas trying to find a goddamned show worth watching. As a kid I watched entirely too much television and loved every minute of it. I was a walking TV guide. My father literally cancelled out TV guide subscription because I had a photographic-like memory and read the TV listings in the Sunday paper.

I grew up with Remington Steele, Miami Vice, Manimal, The Equalizer, Magnum P.I., Crime Story (one of the all time best), Hill Street Blues, and I could go on and on. Now I have the names "Snookie" and "Situation" stuck in my fucking head.

I know I sound like an old man groaning about how much better it was in my day, but I just finished watching "Castle" on DVR and found out Stephen Cannell passed away late last month. He was the creator of "Castle" (which if you are not watching, you should be. It has easily claimed a spot on my personal top 10 of all time.) as well as MANY others, including:

The Commish
    Cobra
    21 Jump Street
    The Great Pretender
    Wiseguy
    Booker
    Stingray
    The A-Team
    Riptide
    Hardcastle and McCormick
    The New Mike Hammer
    Hunter
    The Greatest American Hero
    Tenspeed and Brown Shoe
    The Rockford Files
    The Duke
    The Night Rider
    Baretta
    Black Sheep Squadron
    Columbo
    Chase
    Adam-12
    The D.A
    Ironside

If these don't ring a bell, you will certainly remember the production logo clip that played at the end of many of his shows:

Here is the subtle tribute that followed Thursdays Castle episode:

Realizing what a tremendous body of work this man had has me wondering of there are anybody coming down the pike to fill in his shoes. I know the money is in the cheap and easy reality shows, but my brain is going numb. I miss good writing, trying to figure out the ending, following a story line, or guessing what will happen next. I would just love to see a return of good shows, shitty shows, stupid shows, or just anything with a goddamned plot that wasn't filmed by a douchebag with a Sony Handycam. Thank God for Netflix and downloads.

I gotta go watch Three's Company now so I can view some quality programming for once. It's the one where Larry gets in trouble at the Regal Beagle and then Jack falls over the couch. A classic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  2. GSD

GSD Active Member

Reputations:
    i agree

if actors guilds had half a brain they would be striking & trying to ban this garbage.

fake & scripted not reality
    worst acting on the planet
    could not care less about these shows
    puts real actors out of work (+now hollywood seems to be putting limey's in lead roles on way too many new shows. where the hell are the american actors?)

3. klu

klu New Member

Reputations:
    "TV Guide description," drinky? You mean "subscription"?

By the way, Fatties and Flipping Out are on tonight. :derp:

4. TYSON

TYSON New Member VIP

Reputations:
    Same here. I hate it so much and why is it even called reality? is it really? I hardly watch any tv these days except for the news.
    Shows I'm currently watching:
    Boardwalk Empire
    Curb Your Enthusiasm (repeats)
    Dexter
    Nurse Jackie (repeats)
    The Big C
    A little bit of Cold Case too

5. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Even the "reality" shows have now just become badly written plays. I liked watching the drunk morons on "Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock" for awhile, but now it's all scripted and badly acted bullshit. Summers are the worst. There is literally nothing on but reality shit. They should just make one giant reality show. Have all the fat people from biggest loser get hooked on coke with the asshats from Celebrity Rehab, which will now take place AT Rehab: Las Vegas, while the Jersey Shore assholes are forced to cleans the puke and sweat off the fatties. Then they all try and get hooked up with a bachelor that is really a gay dancing midget trying to get a record contract.

6. klu

klu New Member

Reputations:
    I get sucked into "Rehab: Party at the Hard Rock" as well, but I hate myself afterwards. Other than that, I mostly watch competition "reality" shows. :facepalm:

7. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Thanks. Fixed it.

8. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    Everytime I see it I wrestle with whether or not Chantel is hot. I keep leaning toward no, but then she turns around to grab a beer.

9. klu

klu New Member

Reputations:
    I love Sharon (the house mother/manager). :rah:

[​IMG]

10. k4D3t

k4D3t Reverse Apache Master VIP

Reputations:
    WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

I love reality television. Survivor, Apprentice, Big Brother, Hell's Kitchen, Flipping Out, Project Runway, Amazing Race, etc. I love them all and I have watched them all. None of that romance crap though.

I can't stand scripted television. It blows. The Office is the only scripted show I watch every week and look forward to.

11. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    I do watch Survivor and Apprentice. I would just like to have more theatrical stuff. Maybe I should try and get a "Real TV with Actors" amendment passed. Our children have no idea where there programs are coming from. They have a right to fresh scripts and unprocessed drama.

12. Napoleon V2

Napoleon V2 New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    This thread screams "im an old fuck!!"

13. k4D3t

Reputations:
    Actually what I said wasn't entirely true. I listen to 2-4 scripted radio shows from the 40s and 50s every night. But that is good entertainment, not the crap on t.v. :D

14. ohnoes

ohnoes New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I just jacked it to Sharon. :jerk:

15. nazdrowie

nazdrowie Sultan of Sweat Gold

Reputations:
    its probably in this thread somewhere, but..

everyones all about saving every last red cent they can.

by the way eliasbboy, COPS is still going strong :cheer:

16. eliasbboy

Reputations:
    When I was 16, I started delivery pizzas. I worked at half a dozen restaurants with my buddies, and we made a small fortune. Most nights music would just get old after all the hours of driving, so I started listening to old radio shows myself. I love em. I had stacks of Burns and Allen, The Shadow, Jack Benny, hell, just about anything. My buddies all had music cranking and I was tooling around to "X Minus One."

I'm sure you're aware of these sites with free shows to listen to, but if not, check them out. TONS of instant listening:

Old Time Radio Network
    http://www.otr.net/

Radio Lovers
    http://www.radiolovers.com/

17. k4D3t

Reputations:
    On ebay, you can buy pretty much every OTR show available for $100 bucks -- I did that about 5 years ago, so I have basically everything one could ever want -- I'm kind of lazy though, so usually rotate among 5 different shoutcast stations -- much easier than pulling up shows

my absolute favorite show is Dragnet --- the radio show rocked serious ass -- nothing like the 1960s monstrosity

18. Super Mario

Super Mario Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I used to watch the commish