But i'm having a tough time Senior citizen suffering from dementia dies after accidentally making deadly cup of coffee with stain remover BY Laurie Hanna NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Friday, August 28, 2015, 6:13 AM A A A Share this URL vanish.co.uk John Guttridge, 83, died from chemical gastritis after accidentally mixing a cup of stain remover instead of coffee. He suffered from dementia. A senior citizen suffering from dementia died after making a deadly cup of coffee with poisonous stain remover by accident. Briton John Guttridge, 83, was killed after mistakenly stirring in Vanish Gold Oxi Action instead of instant granules. Guttridge and wife Anne, 79, were rushed to hospital after sipping the drink, where the pensioner passed away, reported the Daily Mirror. Anne Guttridge said she took a swig of the coffee and immediately tasted chemicals. She survived and told Teesside Coroner’s Court that her husband first suffered a coughing fit before his symptoms became more serious. Okea via iStock “He was just trying to help. Usually I made the coffee,” his wife Anne Guttridge said. Anne Guttridge said she endured a “dreadful experience” as she loved her husband very much. “He was just trying to help. Usually I made the coffee," she said. An autopsy found John Guttridge died of chemical gastritis. “I am satisfied Mr. Guttridge intended to make the drink, however he obviously didn’t intend the outcome,” said Claire Bailey, acting senior coroner for Teesside.