I wonder how long Nick will put up with Artie?

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Hateman, May 7, 2012.

1. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Artie always steals the show and loves to talk. I think Nick is jealous but im womderimg when the blowup will be.

2. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    You can't really steal what's yours to being with. It's "The Nick and Artie Show" in name only. It's Artie's show and Nick knows it.

Whenever Nick feels his blood pressure rising he should just think of all the stand-up gigs he would have to do to earn the money he's making now, and it looks like they're going to be making even more money. The show is spreading faster than herpes at a Dennis Rodman pool party. And on top of that there are all the perks...................going to the Super Bowl, getting the studio custom-built for them, etc. No, he's got a dream gig and he knows it, however cranky he might come off.

3. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Yeah the vibe I get isn't even Abbott and Costello. It's "hi I'm Rick and I'll get out of the way now, here's my dancing bear -- dance for snacks, Marty!"

4. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  5. wanker

wanker New Member

Reputations:
    nick is not funny, at all..and his accent is annoying

artie is the show..

6. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It does seem like the show has become a primarily-Artie vehicle. When the show started out it was pretty even. But it's become increasingly more and more "the Artie show". Not that that's a bad thing. Plus it seems like Nick doesn't really like to talk about his personal life as much. Or maybe his life just isn't as interesting as Artie's. Before the show started, I thought, well Artie was good on Stern as a sidekick, but how is he gonna come up with enough content to do a whole show on his own with just him and Nick ? Isn't he gonna run out of stories ? I know he tells a lot of the same stories more than once....but I have to say....I am amazed how he is always coming up with something I haven't heard that is compelling and funny. The guy's got a superhuman memory, tremendous storytelling ability, with a fine sense of the dramatic. Sometimes he makes it sound so easy. It's not easy. Not at all.

7. Hateman

Hateman Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Well said sir! :)

8. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I always thought it would be a good bit to have Nick's wife to call in and have Artie interview her about what it's like to live with Nick and his "abrasive" personality, etc. Though I think he's said that he's mellow in his personal life so it could be boring. Dude needs to open up about that shit if he really doesn't want it to be "The Artie Show".

9. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Exactly. In one episode alone Rick completely shut down any discussion of (a) his infertility and (b) his bad past experience with prescription drugs. Both of those would make for interesting radio.

He just doesn't want to share himself with the audience. Which is fine, but the appearance of honesty and full disclosure is what makes Artie (and the old Stern) so compelling.

10. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Still, my respect for Stick is growing. He does his thing, and every once in a very long while he says something mildly amusing, usually written beforehand. "Skidmarks" as the worst name for a comedy club.

11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom New Member

Reputations:
    It's good to hear Artie again, and I agree with the sentiment that Nick is best off as the straight-man on the show and the facilitator. I hope this show continues on its upward trajectory, and that Artie can really settle into it and continue taking care of himself.

12. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Reputations:
    He actually mentioned that once. That for the first time in his life he's playing the straight man. He knows hes not the star of the show .

Artie also tried to get Nick to tell the story about banging a hooker that Nick said looked like Whitney Houston. It was like pulling teeth. You can clearly tell hes not comfortable at all opening up on air about his life. The few times he has its been good. When he told his Chris Rock stories about how they met and how he got the Job writing for him on his HBO show, those were great. I think he has had an interesting life, he just wont share it with the audience.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  13. Gwarn1

Gwarn1 Worlds poorest sugar daddy VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

14. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah. Maybe not as interesting as Artie's, but who's is. Everybody's got stories though. The fact is Nick's comedy would be 1000 times better if he actually explored that territory. That's where true art is created. I hope he does some day.

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that he was an early friend of Louis CK, who has made his small fortune in EXACTLY that way!

16. LessMoonbeams

LessMoonbeams New Member

Reputations:
    Artie reciting menus is wearing thin ...
    and some of the bits he can push too far until they
    become annoyances rather than bits .....Queets is but one
    example as is Felato Gelato .....move on man .....and his fake laugh
    has become absurd.

17. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i think Nick feels lucky to have Artie as a partner: Nick is a standup act, but Artie is a train wreck and people love to watch a train wreck.

18. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Haven't listened to Thursday night's show, but it's the callers who keep bringing up queets and falato gelato.

19. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Disagree completely. Both are still funny to me. (Although I can only rarely tell what the hell the callers are saying in the Gelato calls. I just like him needling Cram Fellatio.)

The callers are usually too scared or dull to make a good impression; that much is true.

Repetition is part of Artie's schtick (and of course Howard's). With Artie it usually (but not always) works. The guy's so quick-witted he keeps it fresh.

20. Artie Laugh

Artie Laugh ****

Reputations: