I wonder how many new subscribers Artie could get if

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by ArtiesGunt, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ArtiesGunt

ArtiesGunt New Member

Reputations:
    ...he was able to book Billy West for a full show, in-studio candid interview. As an old-school Stern fan who saw Billy get treated like shit during and after his time with THSS, I would subscribe in a heart-beat. Those two have a LOT in common... rough childhoods, addiction, and of course, many controversial years on the greatest radio show of all time.

A boy can dream, right?

FATS NAVARRO likes this.
  2. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Billy West was just on Carolla's podcast, wasn't that great. Billy on Jackie's Joke Hunt and Penn's Sunday School ,a few yrs ago, was much better.

3. Night Ape

Night Ape Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If Artie WAS able to get Billy to really open up about those years, it would be legendary, but it seems like every interview he does, he's purposely vague about his time on the Stern Show.

Is Billy that big of an egomaniac he only wants to talk about himself or was his time at Stern so awful he doesn't like bringing up those memories?

That's what I'd like to know.

ArtiesGunt likes this.
  4. ArtiesGunt

ArtiesGunt New Member

Reputations:
    Right... getting him to really open up would be the trick. In the past Billy just says it's ancient history and he's moved on. Artie would have a better chance at him opening up if the interview was in-studio. I really don't think he's an egomaniac... Listening to him through the years and on other podcasts I never got that impression. If anything, the guy kinda seems kinda humble and isolated.

First, I'd like to know how Billy really felt about the John Kricsfalusi ambush, and whether that helped push him out the door. I just watched that for the first time... Very uncomfortable. Plus I'd want to know how "real" the CONSTANT personal digs Howard made on the air were (especially in 1995), or if that was calculated in order to either chase Billy off or get him to stay for cheap.

Also if Artie could get him to speak in detail about his struggles with addiction, that would be fascinating. The guy literally developed his voice talent to cheer up his mother after his father went on drunken abusive rampages... Artie always says that great comedic talent is born from great pain, and Billy is a classic example of that.

And hell, if Artie really wants to bring back the flavor of the original Stern Show glory years like he says he does, why not PAY Billy to come in and do voices a few times a year? Uncensored. I'd KILL to hear Billy go on a Marge Schott rant or just hear him and Artie talk sports. It would be a win-win for everybody.

Fillmore Fingers likes this.
  5. walterHwhite

walterHwhite Heisenberg

Reputations:
    Billy was on Gilbert's podcast. Not really any Howard talk but he was good.

ArtiesGunt likes this.
  6. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    What guest is GREAT on Carrolla who steamrolls guest over and its about Him not the guest...?

Night Ape, Frank and ArtiesGunt like this.
  7. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    West was good on Carolla. Obviously he has moved on and has made decent money doing other things.

Nowhere Man likes this.
  8. oernie3000

oernie3000 New Member

Reputations:
    Cool stuff! That's sounds very interesting.

9. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Your avatar looks photoshopped.

10. ArtiesGunt

ArtiesGunt New Member

Reputations:
    Agreed... I'm pretty sure Artie is a Rutgers fan.

11. ArtiesGunt

ArtiesGunt New Member

Reputations:
    "Ask, and you shall receive."

12. Sharkey

Sharkey New Member

Reputations:
    I'm curious as to how many subscribe now. I'm guessing not many, which explains bringing up Stern more and attempting reactions.

13. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think if Artie had, say, 10,000 subscribers, he'd brag about that.

It seems like about 1500 signed up right away when the podcast first hit; I know this because their invoice numbers were sequential and I was something like 1507. Their billing system is weird, though. They never seem to charge my credit card, but I can still access the MP3s. Maybe there is some quirk because I was an original subscriber, maybe they don't care. Maybe Artie wants to get his download numbers up, so doesn't really paywall that well on purpose. That way, if he gets an offer from Sirius or FM or similar, he can legitimately say he gets XX hits a month, etc.

On the one hand, I'm kind of surprised that this hasn't gotten a lot of paying subscribers. Stern easily had a couple of million listeners during the Artie years, and at least half of them liked Artie. I guess its that people just don't like paying for anything that is normally free on the Internet.

But if Artie does have 2000 payers, that's $14,000 a month -- that is more than 98% of the country makes.

I guess the question is, if he made the podcast free, would that result in him getting more downloads and then he could promote his road shows better, demanding higher appearance fees?

Nowhere Man likes this.
  14. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    And Artie complains about how little he makes now.

15. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Artie's not in a great financial situation. He can't give away his house in Toms River which costs him $45k per year property taxes plus I'm assuming he still has mortgage payments.

The Hoboken condo probably costs a fortune in maintenance fees and property taxes plus he supports his mother and sister, medical bills up the ass and supports Fellato.

This after pissing away a fortune on gambling and drugs.