If Stuttering John was still on the show

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chuk, Jun 1, 2012.

1. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How much would he be making now? More than Benji?

2. SiriusDawg

SiriusDawg New Member

Reputations:
    If he had stayed on the show and was currently on the staff, he would probably have in his bank 1/5th what he has currently due to leaving for the Late Show

The money offered by the Late Show was ten-times (or more) what he made at the Stern Show

3. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't know about that. Yes, he made far more than he would making when he was the Tonight Show announcer, but probably not as a Tonight Show staff writer. My guess is that since John's demotion, he is making about as much as he would have been getting if he stayed on the Stern Show. From what I can tell is that Sirius pays long time staff members like Gary, Fred, and Benji pretty well and so probably would John.

The one thing he doesn't get now that he would be getting as a Stern Show staff member is paid public appearances. He could probably get upwards to $10k or even $20 an appearance. Artie was getting upwards to $100s of thousands an appearance and Sal wouldn't do the Block Parties because he thought $2-3k was too little so he is probably in the $5-10K range per appearance. John obviously wouldn't make anywhere near Artie money since he isn't a name stand up comic, but he would probably demand more than Sal.

Now the question is would all of those appearances offset those 3-4 years that he was making $500k as the Tonight Show announcer? Odds are that they wouldn't. But by the end of Howard's current contract, the answer could be different.

4. Murphy

Murphy mglw'nafh fhthagn-ngah VIP

Reputations:
    Depends on what his job would be at this point, I would suspect. I wonder if Howard would have let him evolve into a full-time, on-air writer, or if he'd be hanging out with Richard & Sal. :bigthink:

5. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He probably has made more than he would have if he stayed with the show. Just for argument's sake, let's say he would have made the same amount if he stayed with the show. His current gig is in LA, he has a nice house with Susanner in a warm climate, and he has to do a fraction of the work and take a fraction of the shit he had to take when working on the Stern show. I think it all worked out ok for the guy.

Having to be Howard's bitch for pennies while traveling the country on weekends and playing the stock market for scraps sounds like a worse time than being a make-believe announcer demoted to writer.

6. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. Some people factor in that personal appearance money like it's free money. It's not. It's a lot of driving, a lot of late nights, a lot of dealing with drunken assholes busting your balls, and a lot of shit to eat from King Stern afterwards.

Best to have one nice cushy job with regular hours and more pay than to have to hustle basically around the clock...............then get shit for it!

And money aside, which place do you reckon has the better work environment?

I'm sure it's not even close.

7. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    you think a writer for the #1 late night talk show makes less than a phone answerer for a radio show? come on bro.
    he still can do appearances, if he wanted to. and more people know hin now than before, this higher fees.
    but you cant compare arties appearance money to johns. artie is a nationally known comedian, john is a phone answerer/writer.
    also, the connections john has made via the leno show are almost priceless.
    if jay retired, there's 100s of people in the industry he can call for jobs. if howard retired, who can he call, shuli?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure the Stern show severance packages are so generous that nobody even remotely associated with the show will ever have to work again ever.

:backlol2:

The parachutes on the S.S. Sterntanic are only golden from piss.

But no, there are no parachutes on sinking ships.

If any of you Stern show flunkies are reading this, and I know you all are, you daffy cunts, start learning how to type, juggle, or sign now.

9. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    that is not true!

they will all probably get coupons for 10% off a sirius subscription, and free passes to see agt live.

10. Groucho Marx

Groucho Marx Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Or maybe some giftscriptions and a donation in their name to NSAL

11. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    LOL.

and for the employees with 20+ years service, a signed nsal calender too

[richard] heyy saaal how come we arent getting caallllennderrs?
    [sal] they are fukking us over again, they like always do. its a conspiracy against us

12. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe he would still be with Susanner.

13. Rob0729

Reputations:
    First, John is out of the public eye now. No way could he get more for public appearances right now. The entertainment industry when it comes to appearances is all about how relevant you are. Just ask Stacy Keebler whose appearance fees skyrocketed when she started to date George Clooney. Yes, the Stern Show has lost most of its' cache, but John would still be more in the public eye than sitting in the writer's room on Leno.

Second, staff writers on late night talk show do not make the money you think. He is probably making something like $100k.

Third, John was a writer when he left the Stern Show. He wasn't just a call screener. In fact, Richard replaced him. Benji alluded to making about $100k at Sirius before. John would be likely making around that.

Fourth, John has done nothing with the connections he has gotten from Leno. His only outside gig from the Leno Show we know about since he was demoted was from a contact he had when he was with the Stern Show (although the Stern Show had nothing to do with the contact since it was his roommate).

Fifth, John got plenty of contacts from the Stern Show and probably would have had more now that Howard has become a Hollywood ass kisser and a star fucker. I mean Ralph has made a living sponging off Sam Simon, John Stamos, and John Favreau. With Beth and John's soon to be ex being close friends until the Howard/John feud, John would have hung around with plenty of celebrities. Who knows? Let's not act like he wasn't making connections on the Stern Show. Here are the things he got from his connections there:
    - A record deal
    - A stint on MTV
    - A cast member of "I'm a Celebrity.... Get Me Out of Here
    - Roles in the following movies: Airheads, Meet Wally Sparks, and Dude Where's My Car?
    - Guest stints on Baywatch and Wings
    - The Tonight Show announcer gig
    - The noon time slot on KROQ
    In fact, he did more projects on TV and the movies while with Howard than he has since by a long shot.

Sixth, I never said John would make what Artie was making. In fact, I said he would make about a tenth of that, but John was getting some significant TV and radio appearances which probably paid him far more than $10k. Of course Artie would make far more.

Besides, the connections won't really matter anyway because John has failed at everything he has ever done. If Leno wasn't nice enough (or too stubborn to admit he was wrong in hiring John), he would probably be unemployed right now. I don't back Howard on much of anything these days, but I do with John.

14. Rob0729

Reputations:
    If I was John, I would have left too. A half a million a year to announce the guests at the top of the show and occasionally banter with Jay or do your own sketch is a cushy gig. I never said John was stupid not to take the gig although everyone knew he would fail considering he was getting paid for clear diction which is one of his biggest weaknesses. He probably thought he could do a lot of TV guest spots and movie roles during the show's many vacations. If John was still the announcer on the Leno show getting $500k plus, there would be no doubt which gig was better in terms of workload and salary and exposure. Unfortunately for John, he is no longer in that position.

I am only saying that he probably isn't making more than he would be making on the Stern Show NOW. Since he left the Stern Show he has starred in one crappy direct to DVD movie which IMDB said the entire budget was $500k. I don't know how much it grossed, but Rottentomatoes had only one review of it and it was scathing towards John. John might have done minor roles on major movies like he did in the late 90s and early 2000s while on the Stern Show if he stayed.

As for him coming back, Howard isn't a guy who would take John back if he asked. John probably knows that and would never ask even if he wanted to come back. John seems bitter about how he was treated back at KROQ and may never had wanted to come back even if Leno fired him outright.

15. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Don't know how much he'd be making, but I do know that the show would still suck.

16. Rob0729

Reputations:
    I disagree that he would be paid like someone answering phones. He never worked for Sirius. KROQ didn't pay him, but Sirius seemed to pay their employees much better than KROQ did. I think he would be making about as much as Benji is making which is probably be around a $100k. Benji doesn't seem to need to do Ronnie's block Party.

As for what he can get now as appearances,we can only speculate because we don't know. We do know two years ago that Artie was getting six figures to headline. We do know Sal and Richard got a movie on SyFy and another horror movie this summer. John would probably get gigs somewhere in between, but obviously much closer to Richard and Sal.

As for Billy, he making huge money on Futurama and all his other voice work he does. I don't think he and John are comparable because Billy is the lone success to ever leave the Howard Stern show and become an even bigger name than he was while on the show (well other than that Stern Show intern who was in a few episodes of The Office).

17. drsieb

drsieb Member

Reputations:
    I'm sure John has made more at the Tonight show as an announcer or as a writer than he would have as the butt of a joke with the Howard Stern show.

18. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i agree john might get about 100k at the show now. however, benjy makes over $500K. and some sites say johns net worth is 5x more than benjys so it would appear john is doing well. im not saying i trust those sites as fact, but its all we have.

19. Morrisb

Morrisb Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He'd be appearing with "The Killers Of Comedy" and adding to all the current great stuff. :shit:

20. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Well, if Benjy is making $500k as a writer, don't you think John would make more than $100k as a writer? Bengy is more talented than John, but 5X more talented.

As for the sites that talk about net worth, they are a bunch of shit especially Celebritynetworth.com. Celebritynetworth.com says John's net worth is $15 million eventhough he was making $500k a year as an announcer of the tonight show which he did for four years. Assuming he didn't pay taxes or agents and didn't spend the money, that equals to be about $2 million. Where did the other $13 million come from? They didn't demote him and give him a pay raise. I know John plays the stock market, but he would have had to have made $25-30 million on the stock market to get a networth of $15 million after taxes. I swear those sites just make up the numbers based on what they think a star should be worth unless they actually list the actual salaries on an annual basis of the celebrities which they don't for either John or Benjy.