If You Share A Bathroom There's An 80% Chance Your Toothbrush Is Covered In Roomies Fecal Matter...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by teehee, Jun 9, 2015.

1. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:
    Do You Share A Bathroom? There’s An 80% Chance Your Toothbrush Is Covered In Your Roommate’s Poop:eek::eek::eek::eek:

No matter what you do to clean your toothbrush chances are that it’s still covered on poop. There’s poop on your toothbrush, and your cleaning your teeth with that poop. Do you have a roommate and/or share a bathroom with anyone? There’s an 80% chance their poop is on your toothbrush. A recent study at Quinnipiac University found that over half the tootbrushes in the world (or at least the ones they tested) have poop on them (54.85% of all toothbrushes tested were found to have fecal bacteria), and when a person shares a bathroom there was an 80% chance that the fecal coliform bacteria (poop stuff) is from the poop of a roommate. I feel the need to stress this point with you, bros: there’s poop on your toothbrush, and that poop on your toothbrush is probably your roommate’s poop.

No matter what you do (hot water, cold water, sterilizing it in mouthwash) your toothbrush likely has poop on it. Also, where you keep the toothbrush in your home has only a minimal effect on whether or not your poop or the poop of your roommate ends up on those bristles rubbing against your gums.

The DailyMail reports:

According to a new study, there is a 60 per cent chance your toothbrush is covered in poo, regardless of how well you clean it.
    And that’s not all. If you share a bathroom, around 80 per cent of that faeces will belong to another person.
    The research looked at the spread of something known as fecal coliforms in communal bathrooms at Quinnipiac University in Connecticut.
    Fecal coliforms are rod-shaped bacteria found in human faeces and can spread onto a toothbrush through the air through actions such as flushing the toilet.:eek:
    ‘The main concern is not with the presence of your own fecal matter on your toothbrush,’ said Lauren Aber, a student involved in the study at Quinnipiac University.
    ‘[It’s] when a toothbrush is contaminated with fecal matter from someone else, which contains bacteria, viruses or parasites that are not part of your normal flora.
    All toothbrushes in the study were collected from participants using communal bathrooms, with an average of 9.4 occupants per bathroom.
    Regardless of the storage method, at least 60 per cent of the toothbrushes were contaminated with faeces.
    There were no differences seen with the effectiveness of the decontamination methods between cold water, hot water or rinsing with mouthwash.
    And all of the toothbrushes regularly rinsed with mouthwash had growth indicating fecal contamination.
    Fecal coliforms were seen on 54.85 per cent of toothbrushes, which has been seen in previous studies.
    There is an 80 per cent chance that the fecal coliforms seen on the toothbrushes came from another person using the same bathroom.
    ‘Using a toothbrush cover doesn’t protect a toothbrush from bacterial growth, but actually creates an environment where bacteria are better suited to grow by keeping the bristles moist and not allowing the head of the toothbrush to dry out between uses,’ said Aber.

So the poop bacteria flies into the air when you flush and lands on your toothbrush. Solution: NEVER FLUSH. That, or get an extremely low-flow toilet. But the better solution is to obviously NEVER FLUSH YOUR TOILET AGAIN.

If there’s no flushing then there’s no poop bacteria flying in the air to land on your toothbrush, and there’s no poop in your mouth (which there is right now).

2. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There's also the roommate who scratches his ass with your toothbrush when you're not around.

3. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    That's why I keep mine on the floor wrapped in yesterday's underwear...

Or uses it to scrub the bowl.

4. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    does it work to put a plastic bag over the toothbrush? but then it wouldn't dry out either... maybe we should keep the toothbrushes outside of the bathroom

FosterKitten, monsoon, reno and 4 others like this.
  5. IfTheyOnlyKnew

IfTheyOnlyKnew VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    This is exactly why I a) insist on closing the lid before I flush, and bug everyone else in my house to do it, too. And, b) keep my toothbrush INSIDE the medicine cabinet.
    :gross:

6. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  7. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is definitely a case where ignorance is bliss. Thanks for sharing.

8. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    Well, shit.

9. Big Biscuit

Reputations:
    There's shit in our mouth anyway. I learned in a class once that we draw small amounts of fecal bacteria up into the roots of out teeth from our intestines.

Captain and teehee like this.
  10. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    :omg:
    What?!?!

Shortwave98 likes this.
  11. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    Okay, so what you're telling me is that for my entire life I've been brushing my teeth with a toothbrush that has microscopic amounts of poop residue on it.

Unless you have some compelling data to suggest that the consequences of this phenomenon will be different in the next 40 years than they've been for the past 40 years, why should I give a fuck? :dontknow: :D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  12. Bristol Chicken

Bristol Chicken Free Range and Loving It Gold

Reputations:
    I've had children, I've changed diapers.
    I've worked as a plumber.

Your airborne fecal matter scare tactics do not phase me.
    Try changing a kids diaper who's having stomach issues and get your timing off. Talk about your airborne fecal matter.

13. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    :ohno: Sing it, Brutha!

14. artful dodger

artful dodger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i keep my tooth brush in my bedroom and i was taught to close the lid before i flush

[​IMG]

15. Big Biscuit

Reputations:
    I'm not an expert, but it's called "enterococcus faecalis", if you have an infected root, it's sometimes one of the bacteria in the root canal of your teeth.

teehee likes this.
  16. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    if you share it with one other person is that 80% number even possible?

SouthernListen likes this.
  17. IfTheyOnlyKnew

Reputations:
    :gross:
    TaTa was right...

Beffquus, Shortwave98 and Big Biscuit like this.
  18. Big Biscuit

Reputations:
    I'm learning from this thread that there is a literal meaning to the phrase "shit faced" that has nothing to do with alcohol consumption.

19. Turtle Man

Turtle Man Hello Darling Gold

Reputations:
    I use these. Get at most pharmacies
    [​IMG]

reno, Scarlett Ohara, smichal and 2 others like this.
  20. teehee

teehee Friend Of The Friendless VIP

Reputations:

Because you are brushing your choppers with shit!!;)