Iggy Pop and Josh Homme are releasing an album and touring this March.

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Daveindiego, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Interesting news. I will be looking into this further in March. :grad:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/24/a...mme-post-pop-depression.html?mwrsm=Email&_r=0

Iggy Pop and Josh Homme Team Up for ‘Post Pop Depression’
    By JON PARELESJAN. 21, 2016

Photo
    [​IMG]

Josh Homme, left, and Iggy Pop, who have an album scheduled to come out in March, at Mates Vineland in North Hollywood, Calif., earlier this month. Credit Elizabeth Weinberg for The New York Times

LOS ANGELES — “Now that you’re all greased up, how about ‘Lust for Life’?” Iggy Pop said in a voice that was part Midwestern twang, part grizzled prospector to his new band as they rehearsed at a North Hollywood studio. Although it was Mr. Pop’s first time singing with the group, which had been preparing on its own, the mood shifted quickly from tension to elation. After each song, Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age, who assembled the musicians, asked Mr. Pop if he wanted to wrap up, but Mr. Pop kept calling for more: first new songs and then oldies from “The Idiot” and “Lust for Life,” his two late-1970s collaborations with David Bowie. Mr. Pop, 68, wore a dark, patterned shirt, baggy black pants and sandals. He had started the rehearsal seated, conserving his energy, but by the end he was strutting.

“We’re hanging on by the skin of our teeth, but we’re making it through,” Mr. Homme recalled of the group’s initial practice with its singer a few days later. “And by the time we get to ‘Lust for Life,’ we’re all sweating and dancing around with this moronic look on our faces. Iggy looked over at me and …” Mr. Homme mimed a wink and a half-concealed thumbs up. “With Iggy, compliments are not forthcoming. It was a real moment.”

The new songs are from “Post Pop Depression” (Loma Vista), an album Mr. Pop and Mr. Homme wrote and recorded together with utmost secrecy and full independence, which is scheduled to be released in March. Its music shows both songwriters’ clear fingerprints: the pithy, hard-nosed clarity of Mr. Pop’s lyrics and the unflinching tone of his voice; and the crispness, angularity and deft convolutions of Mr. Homme’s chords and melodies. (The group will be making its debut on “The Late Show With Stephen Colbert” Thursday night.)

In some ways, “Post Pop Depression” also picks up where “Lust for Life” left off. “Where those records pointed, it stopped,” Mr. Homme said. “But without copying it,” he continued, “that direction actually goes for miles. And when you keep going for miles you can’t see these two records any more.”

The lyrics reflect on memories, hint at characters and offer advice and confessions; they can be hard-nosed, remorseful, flippant, combative or philosophical. The album’s theme, Mr. Pop said, is: “What happens after your years of service? And where is the honor?”

Offstage, Mr. Pop is slighter and calmer than the hyperactive rocker he becomes in concert. His face is lined, his long hair unfussy; he has a professorial pair of eyeglasses. He answers questions thoughtfully, with a clear gaze, an occasional self-deprecating laugh and a vocabulary far more elaborate than the monosyllables that nail down his songs; he quoted de Tocqueville and the French author Michel Houellebecq.

Photo
    [​IMG]

Iggy Pop, known for performances that left him bruised and bloodied, performing at the Whisky a Go Go in Los Angeles in 1973. Credit Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
    He continued: “In American life, because it’s so hypercompetitive, what happens when you’re finally useless to everyone except hopefully not yourself? What happens then? And can you continue to be of use to yourself? I had a kind of character in mind. It was sort of a cross between myself and a military veteran.”

Mr. Pop, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, has long been hailed as the primordial punk rocker for the music he made leading the Stooges in the late 1960s and early 1970s: albums of blunt, forceful, noisy and unimpeachably direct songs that he performed with a fearless disregard for self-preservation; he often ended up bruised, smeared or bloody. He followed those years with an extensive solo career punctuated by Stooges reunions and collaborations with musicians from Green Day to Guns N’ Roses to Best Coast and others eager to acknowledge his influence. Among them is Mr. Homme, 42, who, as the leader of Kyuss and Queens of the Stone Age, has been at the center of the so-called stoner rock that emerged from California’s Palm Desert in the 1990s.

Mr. Homme is also a part-time member of Eagles of Death Metal, the band led by his friend Jesse Hughes that was performing at the Bataclan in Paris when terrorists attacked there in November. He had planned to be onstage at that show but changed his plans. “I wasn’t there by a stroke of fate,” he said. “I guess it was my fate to be home and to bring them home. Bad things are like a sunset; they dissipate over time. But this is a long sunset. My dearest friends — how will they un-see that?”

Preparing “Post Pop Depression” was one thing that helped him cope with the aftermath of the attacks. “The fact that I had this to work on, it saved me,” he said.

Mr. Homme and Mr. Pop began writing and recording together last January, staying private. They financed the project without a record label. “We paid for whatever ourselves,” Mr. Pop said. “But it was made to be heard — not to be some quirky thing that we did with our own money, ha-ha.”

The result, Mr. Pop told Mr. Homme in a conversation after the rehearsal, was that “you took me to a place I’d never been.”

Mr. Homme replied: “This was to go where neither of us had gone before. That was the agreement. And to go all the way.”

Later, at a separate interview at Mr. Homme’s Pink Duck studio in Burbank — surrounded by odd-brand guitars and amplifiers and his grandmother’s paintings — Mr. Homme was more laudatory about Mr. Pop. “He is the last one of the one-of-a-kinds,” he said. “This is a much deserved victory lap for a man who’s not sure if he won. But he did. He may have tunneled underground for lots of that, but he still got to the destination.”

For Mr. Homme, making the album was an unexpected culmination of years of admiration for Mr. Pop’s music. For Mr. Pop, it was a musical test.

Mr. Homme said that he promised Mr. Pop: “If we hate it, if we go, ‘This is terrible,’ I will take a shovel, and I will take the drives, and I will bury it in the dirt. It will say ‘Iggy and Josh,’ and someday, someone will build a house there, and they’ll go, ‘What the hell is this?’”

They recorded the album’s nine songs in brief bursts at Mr. Homme’s two studios: two weeks at his home setup in the desert, in Joshua Tree, and later for one week at Pink Duck. They collaborated fully; one ground rule was that neither would bring in complete songs, only ideas. And they had a conspiratorial minimum of sidemen: just Dean Fertita, from Queens of the Stone Age and the Dead Weather, on guitars and keyboards, and Matt Helders, from Arctic Monkeys, on drums.

Mr. Pop and the band — which includes the musicians on the album along with Troy Van Leeuwen from Queens of the Stone Age, on guitar, and Matt Sweeney, from Chavez and countless sessions, on bass — are planning a brief tour in March. The set list will likely include “Success,” a song from “Lust for Life” that Mr. Pop says he has never performed in concert. Mr. Homme said they are looking at “venues, not cities,” choosing small, beautiful theaters where Mr. Pop’s presence might still seem disruptive.

“There won’t be hardly any shows, and they won’t be in big places, and you won’t be able to get a ticket,” Mr. Homme said. “So almost everyone won’t see it. It will be like trying to catch smoke in your hands. And that makes it even better. It will be special, and it will be over in the blink of an eye.”

2. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    Pass o_O

Mack likes this.
  3. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    You do know that Josh Homme is from Queens of the Stone Age, right?

And Kyuss and Eagles of Death Metal. :grad:

4. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    i saw Iggy in '95

5. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    :eek::pray:

6. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Iggy sucks

Mack likes this.
  7. Daveindiego

Reputations:
    I've been listening to these guys Teddybears for a couple of years, here is a song they did with Iggy that I like. You are welcome.

8. beatlejaws

beatlejaws nowhere poster

Reputations:
    i'll listen after the Underground Garage

9. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    This sounds terrible. Josh is stupid to waste his time with an overrated non talent like Iggy.

DrivenByDemons likes this.
  10. Bubbleguts420

Bubbleguts420 2 word review, shit sandwich

Reputations:
    Is Josh still with Brody Dale?

11. jdwhatever

jdwhatever Fesh Gold

Reputations:
    Josh just has so many initiatives

12. Daveindiego

Reputations: