I'm not the only bull-headed one in my family........

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Slippy, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Slippy

Slippy Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    This is my first cousin, who lives in CAMBELLFORD - nowhere close to being a real "town". She's been in the news and in the papers everywhere recently, as she fights this battle:

Chickens belong in a country-coop
    Rural pets in residential areas isn't fair to neighbours
    View more by Crystal Crimi

It's time for the chickens to fly their backyard coop in residential Campbellford.

After months of dealing with the Bacher family and the seven hens they keep in their Doxsee Avenue backyard, the municipality is taking them to court for a zoning violation. If successful, the charge comes with a maximum fine of $25,000 -- that's a lot of eggs.

But not enough to make the Bachers give up their hens. They're fighting the charge with the pro bono services of Belleville lawyer Karen Selick -- the same woman who represented Michael Schmidt, an Ontario dairy farmer convicted last fall for offences relating to selling raw milk.

The Bachers have had their hens for two years, acquiring them to show their daughter where food comes from and then keeping them for their eggs. They said they checked with the municipality first on prohibited animals, but likely left with a copy of the exotic animals bylaw, according to Jim Peter, Trent Hill's director of planning.

If that's the case, it's unfortunate they didn't receive, or perhaps request, the proper information. But that doesn't change the rules or the fact the municipality acted because of a complaint received last summer. I feel for the Bachers, I really do. My deep rural roots are still trying to smash through the concrete of my residential property. I grew up in Orono. I lived on a horse farm, which also played host to goats, cows, rabbits and, occasionally, chickens. I worked on a fruit farm and on top of all that, my grandparents are Italian and backyard farming has been a constant in my memory.

I'm all for growing your own and teaching kids the importance of where our food comes from. But when you move into town, there are some things you give up.

For me, it was the space to have a proper vegetable garden. I have a smaller, shaded yard and to accommodate my desire to grow tomatoes, I ended up with about 30 large pots which came complete with the requirement of daily watering.

It sucks when your basic desires to grow and produce don't mesh with your location preferences.

As much as I love the idea of raising what my family eats, I hate the idea of my neighbours having chickens so close to my backyard. The idea of barbecuing or even growing my vegetables next to a dirty chicken coop is infuriating. I've had chickens. A residential lot just doesn't provide enough separation between neighbours to raise farm animals, and if the municipality says yes to chickens, what happens when someone else wants a goat?

Fortunately, there's no shortage of farms in Northumberland. I'm sure the Bachers can find a farm-share program nearby that will help fulfil their need for fresh and local.

2. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    come to butthead

3. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
  4. doughhead63

doughhead63 OD'd on life itself Staff Member

Reputations:
    Wow, never underestimate the love people have for their chickens

5. JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Must be cool to live in a place where chickens are a major news story....

6. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
  7. nazdrowie

nazdrowie Sultan of Sweat Gold

Reputations:
    hey Slip, I noticed in another thread that you said Bernie Nicholls was a cousin of yours. He was a very good player, and worthy of enshrinement in the Hall of Fame IMO. Has Bernie ever discussed being snubbed by the Hall? Is he indifferent..disappointed..angry..?

8. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    uh, a dairy farmer got in trouble with the government for selling raw milk?

are we in America anymore?

9. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
  10. Slippy

Reputations:
    wtf is the issue with chickens? sure, they cluck and stuff..............this is just stupidity though\

We should have the right to raise our own food on the property we own, as long as it's done respectably.

11. Slippy

Reputations:
    He's never discussed that with me naz, so i don't know. My son recently did a speech on him though, and due to our connections got a CRAPLOAD of stuff to assist him in the speech. :cheer:

I could ask him............but I don't like to poke sore spots.

12. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    chickens belong on a farm not a residential lot

13. jonpow

jonpow Tennessee Jed VIP

Reputations:
    She's Canadian Biff

14. Slippy

Reputations:

You gotta know Cambellford before you firmly decide if it's actually a "residential lot" or not, zhuk. It's tim-buck nowhere, and they own 3 acres. C'mon..............

15. jobbey

jobbey Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :lol:

16. MatthewT

Reputations:
    are you suggesting this sort of thing couldn't happen in a real country?

17. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    it's just east of T-town, right? I mean maybe way east, all right it's a freezehead redneck wet dream, so chickens there can probably vote

18. MatthewT

Reputations:
    in case any of you city folk didn't know, chickens smell awful, and from miles away

19. Slippy

Reputations:
    :mad:

20. Slippy

Reputations:
    It's far. I think 2 hours............and chickens might jump up the intellect from what she's dealing with. I actually have a picture from last time i hung out with them last summer............1 second...........