Shop Now At Amazon

In plain english, someone explain this fiscal cliff to me

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JoeyG, Nov 10, 2012.

1. JoeyG

JoeyG Member

Reputations:
    Is this much ado about nothing? I am pretty much your avg Joe (literally!). Married, two kids age 13,16, with a dog. Avg home ($240,000) underwater (in real estate terms, not hurricane terms). Dual income of just over 100 g's, I work for local gov't, she works in medical field. We're already getting killed with health care premiums. Tell me what this fiscal cliff means for me. TIA

2. Sponsor

Sponsor

Reputations:

3. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I'm far from an expert but I think I heard everybody's taxes will go up 2400 bucks if the dems and repubs can't work a budget before the end of the year.

4. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Taxes go up.

Government spending goes down.

Capisce?

5. MyLazyHand

MyLazyHand Dumber Than Yesterday VIP

Reputations:
    There are a bunch of tax cuts in place right now. We're not paying as much as we were years ago (FICA, for example is down 8% below where it was when it was cut to spur the economy).

There are some other spending cuts in place as a result of deals made in Congress. All of the shit hits the fan at the same time - January 1st.

If our stupid politicians cannot work out a deal, everyone will be taking home a lot less money in their paychecks, and the government must also slash spending in a lot of areas. The result will be a huge shock to the economy, and we'll face a big recession.

6. Getthepoisonout

Getthepoisonout Member

Reputations:
    The predictions are that the combined tax increases and spending cuts will result in a 5% drop in US GDP and result in recession. It is important to note that the shock will not happen on January 1st but be a gradual thing so there is no need to panic if a deal is not reached by the end of this year. In fact some economists are urging Obama not to take any deal but wait for the right deal when working with the GOP's in the house. If you want to keep up with this businessinsider is a great website with info on this kind of stuff.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

Reputations:
    Sell the kids, pimp out the wife.. money problems over.

8. Horff

Horff Member

Reputations:
    Also if you have any investment income the taxes on capital gains and dividends are going to shoot up

9. CowboyX

CowboyX New Member

Reputations:
    Republicans forced this agreement in order to raise the debt ceiling the last time...the same argument that led to our credit rating being down rated. Automatic spending cuts will go into effect in entitlements and the military.

This is combined with the end of the Bush tax cuts which are set to expire...time to pay the bills.

Taxes will be going up and less money will be going into the economy from the government could lead to a potential stall of the recovery.

All, of course, the doom of supply-side economics, or Reganomics, which we are still suffering under and which has destroyed our economy over the past 30+ years.

10. Avery

Reputations:
    Except for that part between 1982 to 2007. That part of Reaganomics ruled.

11. StormCloud

StormCloud Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just as the American car companies allowed their costs to spiral out of control when they were operating with little or no competition from overseas, our government built large social programs and defense spending that it thought we could afford back when our labor was not competing with everyone in the world. It costs a lot of money in government compliance costs, social program costs, and just plain wages to operate in our country. Big business is abandoning the safety of operating in our country partially because our military is such a good global police force. This all leads up to the fact that we will never pay off all of the debt that we have accumulated so far. That is OK because the value of our money is really based on pure fantasy. We can probably play the same game we have been playing for a long, long time. We just have to have a little political theater to make the politicians feel relevant.

12. Yomama

Yomama Member

Reputations:
    very well put.
    this all came about because the 2 political parties could not agree on a budget last year. So this fiscal cliff was put together and was meant to force republicans and democrats to cut a deal. The thinking was that if they did not cut a deal - the result would hurt both parties just as badly. Raising taxes - which would upset republicans , and making severe cuts in spending (social programs) which would hurt democrats.

The point is everyone would lose if an agreement is not reached. And this would effect the entire world with its consequences.

The shit will hit the fan - they NEED to work out a deal.

13. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold VIP

Reputations:
    It's a great theory, however the republicans won't cut a deal because they are too worried about making sure Obama looks bad. If they had to choose between watching the country burn or letting Obama look good, they'd all be grabbing marshmallows. And no, I didn't vote for Obama, but have to say this shit is beyond ridiculous.

14. Avery

Reputations:
    You all don't get the "show" politics is? They'll figure it out at *GASP* the 11th hour like they usually do. Don't worry and enjoy the show.

I read this on some blog. I don't really agree with it. It's a very, very cynical outlook on it:

15. Howards Wig

Howards Wig Active Member

Reputations:
    You have an interesting perspective. I am curious, do you feel our labor should be competing with everyone in the world? A decline in our standard of living seems inevitable as we "equalize the labor market".

16. CowboyX

CowboyX New Member

Reputations:
    You're right, stagnant wages for 30 years have been a big win for profits...the middle class? not so much

17. Avery

Reputations:
    You can only crush the world through war and have them dependent on your exports for so long, sparky.

It is what it is.

But if purchasing power of a nation's currency is your concern, you feel free to let me know what devalues that. K?

Not that it matters. blame the dead guy.

18. Tom Doyers

Tom Doyers New Member

Reputations:
    I'm afraid the US fell off the fiscal cliff a few years ago. It will be impossible to dig ourselves out of the debt we are in.

You can tax 100% of every "rich person's" income and cut all welfare programs at the same time and it wouldn't make a dent -- both sides of the political fence have been played.

Suckers. :coffee:

19. CowboyX

CowboyX New Member

Reputations:

Better to protect your industries through tariffs the way Alexander Hamilton suggested, Washington implemented, and which happily funded our country's government (and its amazing investments and accomplishments) for the first 200 years.

20. Avery

Reputations:
    I'm sorry.

What did these tariffs fund way back when?

21. Tom Doyers

Tom Doyers New Member

Reputations:
    Opium farming in Monticello and slave mistresses :cheer: