Indiana cop give gun to stranger to put injured animal out of misery

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Jul 2, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Oh, deer: Did Indiana cop give gun to stranger to put injured animal out of misery?

Published July 02, 2013
    FoxNews.com

• [​IMG]

An Indiana police officer is in hot water after he allegedly handed his gun to a stranger because he didn’t have it in him to put a badly injured young deer out of its misery.
    The incident occurred Saturday in the front of Jerry Anderson’s home in Richmond, according to the Indianapolis Star. Anderson said a young driver struck the deer during an accident on Chester Boulevard, leaving it severely injured. A crowd gathered at the scene, and the police officer, who was not named, responded.
    Anderson said he went inside his home to get his own pistol to euthanize the deer, but was surprised to find someone else preparing to shoot the animal — with the police officer's gun.
    “I went inside to get my gun, and when I came out, my wife told me that [the officer] said he couldn’t do it,” Anderson said. “She said he had tears in his eyes, and he handed his gun to a stranger — his loaded gun.”
    Anderson said one man on the scene said he had a gun permit in Ohio, but didn’t have it in his possession.
    “… And [the officer] gave his weapon to (the man) to shoot the deer,” Anderson continued. “You should never hand your weapon to a person in a crowd.”
    Anderson said he was surprised the officer didn’t disperse the crowd prior to the shooting. Police officials acknowledged that a deer was struck and later killed on Saturday, but did not provide any additional details.
    Richmond Police Department Maj. Kevin Wampler said the incident is being investigated and that the unidentified officer would face disciplinary action if the allegations are true. The alleged act is not a criminal violation, Wampler said.

2. Bentknee

Bentknee Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He was probably afraid that if he shot the deer there would be three threads on dawg's about what an asshole he is.

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Similar things happen all the time. It's a hard world to be mature in - better to sit behind your computer and snark.

4. PelicanWig

PelicanWig Beautiful Soup

Reputations:
    Ha ha perfect for today!

5. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    What the fuck is a "gun permit"? Ohio has no gun permits. Did he mean that the guy had an Ohio CCW, but didn't have his gun on him?

Weird reporting.

6. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I hit a couple deer with my truck (should really say, they hit ME!, dammit!!!) and one was on the side of the road pretty fucked up. It was writhing in pain, etc.

I keep a firearm with me most of the time and I had one with me that very early morning. I popped it in the head three times and dragged the animal to the side of the road, drove a mile or two away, and called the police to report the deer strike for insurance purposes. Why did I do it that way? Because doing the right thing will often get you in trouble. I was in a city limits which likely had an ordinance about discharging firearms. But there was an animal suffering horribly. I worried if the cops came to the scene, they would not kill the animal and let it suffer more. Even if they would kill the animal, it would take minutes for them to arrive. I made the decision in a split second.

My point being, doing the right thing will sometimes get you in trouble. This cop sounds like he did the right thing given how he didn't have it in him to kill the animal and had someone else, someone he assessed as trustworthy, do it for him.

And let me tell you, shooting an animal with their eyes open at you, writhing in pain, scared to hell, is not easy. I did it quickly and didn't look at its head while I dragged it out of the roadway, didn't look at it as I went back to my truck, and didn't look back when I drove away. It was pretty awful.

7. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    I have killed one deer and hope to never do it again. Poor bastard was just walking along in the woods looking for some acorns to eat and a doe to fuck. Some tough guy asshole sitting in a pine tree put a 30-30 bullet right through his heart. Hunting was a big deal to my dad and grandfather. I never really gave a shit. I can do it for survival purposes or to end suffering, but I don't enjoy it.

8. JWC

JWC Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Poor Andy....

[​IMG]

9. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    :lol:

10. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah! :cheer: That would be all of us Dawgies!

11. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, I eat meat but am not a hunter. I hunted once with my uncle, shot a doe, didn't hit her as well as you hit your buck, and she bolted. We tracked her for maybe a half mile and found her laying on her side, wounded.

My uncle finished her off, we dragged her to the clearing, and picked her up in an ATV. I dressed the kill.

That was brutal. I haven't gone hunting since. It's fucking rough stuff, IMO.

12. CaptainFrank

CaptainFrank Well-Known Member

Reputations:

I shoot about 10 deer a month during the rut ....you're right.. it's one thing to shoot a deer from a tree stand sixty feet away... its another when you have to get up close.. i try to sneak up on them, but its hard to do. Always reminds me of Sonny Corleone's line in Godfather. " nice college boy, what do you think its like the army where you shoot em a mile away... you gotta get up close and baboom .. brains all over your ivy league suit. "

13. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

Just curious, are you a vegetarian? Otherwise, whats the difference between a guy hunting, and you eating some hamburgers from a cow that got killed by some illegal mexican making $10 an hour at IBP?

14. CaptainFrank

Reputations:
    \\

:boohoo: :bigcry: :boohoo:

15. CaptainFrank

Reputations:

I shoot about 10 deer a month during the rut ....you're right.. it's one thing to shoot a deer from a tree stand sixty feet away... its another when you have to get up close.. i try to sneak up on them, but its hard to do. Always reminds me of Sonny Corleone's line in Godfather. " nice college boy, what do you think its like the army where you shoot em a mile away... you gotta get up close and baboom .. brains all over your ivy league suit. "

16. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:
    yea i don't see what the big deal is except makes the cop maybe seem a little vagina'ish

17. Douchebag 007

Douchebag 007 New Member

Reputations:

deer sausage,deer jerky and a giant freezer make it all ok in the end

18. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;8kL9Qhu_W18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kL9Qhu_W18[/video]

Too Soon?

19. Farticulator

Farticulator Member

Reputations:
    Thread.