News 'Inhumane' conditions at N.J. MVC agencies to get Trenton hearings

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by XuXu, Aug 10, 2016.

1. XuXu

XuXu VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf...o_get_trenton_hearings.html#incart_river_home

RAHWAY - Democratic lawmakers want state Motor Vehicle Commission officials to answer for long lines and customer waits that have been measured in hours at agencies across the state.

Senate President Stephen Sweeney, D-Gloucester and Senator Robert Gordon announced Wednesday that hearings will be held by the oversight committee as soon as MVC officials can make arrangements to testify.

"We hope to hold it within a month, it's a matter of scheduling," Gordon said after a press conference at the Rahway Motor Vehicle agency. "Maybe we can find a short term fix for people now."

Sweeney said he wants answers on why the MVC, which was fixed under Gov. James E. McGreevey's administration, is broken again.

"This should be customer friendly," Sweeney said. "We've heard it from around the state. People got used to it working well and noticed the difference."

[​IMG]Assemblyman Jerry Green, Senate President Steve Sweeney and Rahway Mayor Samson Steinman talk about demanding answers about long waits at the MVC agency behind them.Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    There were no lines that snaked around the building on Wednesday, which were seen two weeks ago due to computer problems on three separate days.

MVC officials also blamed the lines on traditional high volume at the beginning and end of the month, when driver's licenses and vehicle registrations come up for renewal.

Lawmakers said there has always been high volume at motor vehicle agencies at the beginning and end of the month and that the MVC should be staffed to handle it.

"This doesn't happen in other states, Gordon said. "It's putting taxpayers and drivers through inhumane conditions."

Lawmakers said they also want to know why it's taken eight years to replace the MVC's aging computer system.

The MVC is in the process of upgrading its 30-year old computer system, spending a total of $23 million to remove some functions from the aging mainframe after Hewlett-Packard ended a contract with motor vehicle departments in New Jersey.

Senator wants answers from MVC
    But some blamed other decisions by the MVC for the problems.

The new agency building in Rahway is half the size of the structure it replaced and has to serve more customers after the MVC closed the Elizabeth agency, said Rahway Mayor Samson Steinman, who managed the Rahway and Springfield agencies from 2003 to 2006. He said the MVC should deploy staff to check the paperwork of customers while they are waiting in line, rather than make them wait hours only to find out they were missing a document.

Earbuds are sticking out of everyone's ears, from pedestrians to cyclists. But is it legal for drivers to use them behind the wheel?

Among the answers that Sweeney and Gordon said they want is when the new computer system will be operational, what is causing the lines and long waits, and the effect of closing and consolidating some agencies. Sweeney said he also wants answers about redirecting money that the MVC currently collects to fix these problems.

Procrastinating motorists received little sympathy from Gov. Chris Christie, who suggested they conduct their business in the middle of the month and not wait until the last minute to renew licenses and registrations. However Christie said the state's new director of Office of Information Technology was able to pinpoint the computer problem. He is expecting to see a plan to modernize state computers from the director by September.

"Rather than criticize customers, we should understand that people will postpone transactions until the end of the month," Gordon said, adding he supports an idea to have a license renewal fall on a driver's birthday..

2. XuXu

XuXu VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  3. Devil's Backbone

Devil's Backbone Security Advisor - Larry Inc.

Reputations:

Drungle and Slow like this.
  4. Devil's Backbone

Reputations:

Drungle likes this.
  5. Drungle

Drungle VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Just go a 1/2 hour before they close. You're out in a half hour or less. Works everytime, and I live in Nj

6. Devil's Backbone

Reputations:
    To be honest, I think Danzig's version was better.

regult likes this.
  7. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Gold

Reputations:
    wow

very cool

larryluncg likes this.
  8. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    inhumane? lol I agree it sucks, but charge your phone and reserve at least 3hours of your day to spend it at the DMV.

renew by mail and hopefully keep that car for life so you'll never have to go back!

9. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    :lol:

Mr Sinister likes this.
  10. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Haven't been to MVC since last year, where I had no issues w/ long wait times. Compared to 15-20 yrs ago, it is a walk in the park.

I recently did my registration online and license renewal through the mail. Registration came in a week, license in 2 weeks.

I think they doin a pretty good job. Wanna know the probable cause for long lines? People who don't know what the fuck they are doing, so they don't bring all the paperwork, points of ID, etc that they need to do what they want.

MadWoman777 and lestanyonethink like this.
  11. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    I go to the MVC in Freehold. Only time there is a long line is on a Saturday morning.

Drungle likes this.
  12. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    I haven't had a trip to MVC that has taken more than 40min in at least 10yrs. Usually in and out in 1/2 hr.

Drungle and cwok like this.
  13. cwok

cwok Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Wow really?! We are idiots in CT. New computer system just created more lines! We have a similar story up here too... thought it was par for the course :dontknow:

14. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    This is what happens when government is in charge of something. You get a bunch of shithead workers who don't give a fuck providing you a service that you can't get anywhere else and are required to get.

austin54, Homerj123 and Willy Pfister like this.
  15. ChuckZ

ChuckZ You're so pusillanimous, oh yea.

Reputations:
    NYS has got much better the last few times i went, maybe 15 minutes total.

16. wife is a whore

Reputations:
    Maybe now w/ the new system in NJ there are kinks to be worked out, but for years I had no issue.

Back in the day you used to have to stand in one line to drop off yer paperwork, then sit around forever until your name was called, then you had to go stand in another line to pay. I would go to an office in a strip mall, hand in my shit, then go have a slice of pizza and read the paper for 30min to 1hr. I go back into MVC, go up to the cashier line and ask if my name was called and I missed it because I was outside smoking. Broad would grab my paperwork and take my money, then I was out the door.

Now they take care of everything at the first line, so it is quick as hell.

Muffler, Pussy Tendon and cwok like this.
  17. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    Thanks Obama.

18. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    I sat for 2 1/2 hrs last month :(

Fuckers fucked it up again. For a while it was great

XuXu likes this.
  19. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Air port plaza in hazlet is a good one.

Drungle likes this.
  20. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I got mine renewed just before all the bull shit started . I was in and out.

Drungle likes this.