Inmate gasped, snorted during two-hour execution

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EndOfLine, Jul 23, 2014.

1. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Not surprisingly, not much info about how the victims of his crime died. Good riddance, asshole.

(CNN) -- Arizona inmate Joseph Wood died some two hours after the start of his execution Wednesday, his attorney said.

"It took Joseph Wood two hours to die, and he gasped and struggled to breath for about an hour and 40 minutes. We will renew our efforts to get information about the manufacturer of drugs as well as how Arizona came up with the experimental formula of drugs it used today.

"Arizona appears to have joined several other states who have been responsible for an entirely preventable horror -- a bungled execution," attorney Dale Baich said in a statement.

Wood's attorneys had filed an emergency motion for a stay after his execution began, saying then that Wood had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour."

"The Arizona Department of Corrections began the execution of Joseph Rudolph Wood III at 1:52 p.m. (4:52 p.m. ET). At 1:57 p.m ADC reported that Mr. Wood was sedated, but at 2:02 he began to breathe. At 2:03 his mouth moved. Mr. Wood has continued to breathe since that time. He has been gasping and snorting for more than an hour," the motion read.

[​IMG]

Wood, convicted of murder and assault in the 1989 deaths of his estranged girlfriend and her father, argued among other things that the state was going to use an "experimental" drug protocol of midazolam and hydromorphone.

In documents filed with the state Supreme Court, he contended the use of the anesthetic midazolam was problematic in recent U.S. executions and that it would violate the Constitution's guarantee against cruel and unusual punishment.

Drugs weren't Wood's only contention. He also argued the execution should be stopped because his trial attorney was ineffective and that new evaluations from psychologists show he has cognitive impairments that would make him innocent of premeditated murder.

Some states turned to midazolam this decade after they could no longer get sodium thiopental, a drug that was regularly used for executions. A U.S. manufacturer stopped producing sodium thiopental in 2009, and countries that still produce it won't allow its export to the United States for use in lethal injections.

Earlier this year, Oklahoma put executions on hold after the controversial execution of Clayton Lockett. Midazolam was part of the injection combination, and it took 43 minutes for him to die, Oklahoma officials said.

While state officials said Lockett was unconscious the entire time, a media witness for CNN affiliate KFOR said he uttered the words, "Man," "I'm not," and "something's wrong," before blinds to the execution chamber were closed. His lawyer, Dean Sanderford, said the inmate's body twitched and convulsed before he died.

Oklahoma's Department of Public Safety, acting on orders from Gov. Mary Fallin to get to the bottom of what happened, is investigating whether prison officials followed protocols. The review is also supposed to include recommendations about how to prevent something similar from happening again.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/23/justice/arizona-execution-controversy/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

DarkFriday and Joe Bauers like this.
  2. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I found more info on his murders - typical piece of shit....

Wood was sentenced to death for killing Debra Dietz and her father, Eugene Dietz, in 1989 at the family's automotive shop in Tucson.

Wood and Dietz had a tumultuous relationship in which he periodically assaulted her. Dietz tried to end their relationship and got an order of protection against Wood.

On the day of the shooting, Wood went to the auto shop and waited for Dietz's father, who disapproved of his daughter's relationship with Wood, to get off the phone. Once the father hung up, Wood pulled out a revolver, shot him in the chest and then smiled.

Wood then turned his attention toward Debra Dietz, who was trying to telephone for help. Wood grabbed her by the neck and put his gun to her chest. She pleaded with him to spare her life. An employee heard Wood say, "I told you I was going to do it, I have to kill you." He then called her an expletive and fired two shots in her chest.

Nemo and Joe Bauers like this.
  3. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good Riddance. Gasp snort Gurgle. :golfclap:

4. Birddog

Birddog Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    sounds like sleep apnea boo fucking hoooooooo

6. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    I'm all for this witches brew of drugs.... and a huge PR campaign that this is the ending homicidal scumbags have to look forward to :up:

7. Joe Bauers

Joe Bauers Well-Known Member

Reputations:

CURED. Scientist's have found the cure for sleep apnea. :clap:

meanredhed, Anyonenow and ilovebacon like this.
  8. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Boo hoo.

00steven likes this.
  9. Wonky Eye

Wonky Eye Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't understand why they just don't give them anesthesia then inject them with the deadly cocktail. When I've been under, last thing I remember is going out then waking up 3 hours later. Even if the person is snorting or whatever, they can't consciously conceive what's going on, so it's not inhumane.

10. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    A double murderer suffered during his execution?

[​IMG]

11. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    Gasping and snorting? They shouldn't have done it while listening to Perez fingering Benjy...

imissalison likes this.
  12. StRyDeRxX

StRyDeRxX Bling Bling Gold

Reputations:
    gurgle... gurgle... :gflash2:

jrstinkfish and F Vick like this.
  13. BethsZygote

BethsZygote In Utero VIP

Reputations:
    Why dont they just give these fuckers the shit they gave Micheal Jackson, then enough Heroin to kill 10 elephants?

His suffering was nothing compared to the suffering he inflicted on his victims families.

14. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    we are in such great company

[​IMG]

Ta Ta Toothy likes this.
  15. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Agreed. It's what we do for pets for goodness sake.

I don't give a shit about this dead murderer but I am not a fan of glorified DMV workers being in charge of the execution of citizens.

16. BadKarma

BadKarma Extended Member

Reputations:
    Why aren't these executions on pay per view?

Saw Red Smitty hang once...pulled his head clean off
    image.jpg

17. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    lethal injection is total bullshit from the left- no surprise it doesn't work at all. Lets see you gasp for 40 mins after facing a firing squad

Scarlett Ohara, kingship and BadKarma like this.
  18. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    Shit, the NYPD could choke him out quicker than that tree hugging lethal injection crap.

RightBastard, Dorb, EndOfLine and 8 others like this.
  19. Senator Rick

Senator Rick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Usually against capital punishment.
    Only in favor of public executions in cases of predatory sexual assaults on children or women.
    In those cases of course I want them dead-dead.

Droog, blindbella and CatParty like this.
  20. Stinkfist

Stinkfist Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good.

Stay the fuck out of my state if you think violence and murder is the cure to your bullshit problems.

I hope every minute hurt, funny man.

babybear and HowieStearn like this.