Interest in a Weights/Food/Cardio/ Thread

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Estocada, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm into it, though not to the extent of intense 2 hour daily workouts and munching a hundred dollars in supplements a week.

I'd like to talk with like minded people about their best exercise tips, motivation, nutrition (in particular people who travel a lot like me) etc.

No, I'm not offering any prize money and this isn't a contest-just want to talk to men and women that are into healthy living and try to look as good as you can.

I'm 40+, 195, 5'11 and in pretty good shape. I do heavy weight training-free weights and machines 3-4 times a week and mix in a little running, although I do a lot less cardio and more weights.

I don't diet per se, just try to eat high quality foods-protiens, high quality fats, veggies and avoid a tremendous mount of carbs. I mix in a lot of whey smoothies, with antioxidants like berries and things like that. I do by the old adage that you get your abs in the kitchen, not in the gym.

I would like to ask members what their favorite supplements are. I am thinking of trying to shed down to about 185 or so and get as tight as I can before the holidays. So, please feel free to join in.

2. Estocada

Reputations:
    Not even a mercy bump. I am fail.:facepalm:

3. MatthewT

MatthewT Awaiting The Rapture VIP

Reputations:
    not fail. in. need to figure out how to lose like an entire person i have wrapped around me :nooo:

don't have any sympathy for 195 trying to get to 185 tho :mad:

4. Estocada

Reputations:

Sorry, I thought my thread came off as being a braggart, which was not my intention.. I apparently have that tendency. If I can give you a humble suggestion-I think you are making it too much of a problem in total and it can seem overwhelming. You don't need to lose any certain number of pounds, you just need to lose one pound.

My suggestion would be this: only focus on the next pound. Don't even think about the total goal. you can't accomplish it all at once, so why even think about it that way. Just try to eat a bite or two less, and eat food that is higher in protein, less carbohydrates and fats, walk/jog, do a little weights, etc.

I have also found that mixing in one whey protein/water mix with a few berries for flavoring tastes ok and can help with cravings.

Big things have little beginnings.

5. low selfestitle

low selfestitle Moderator Staff Member

Reputations:
    Good luck, boys! :juggalo:

6. MatthewT

Reputations:
    what about huuuuuuuuuuge things :nocheer:

7. MatthewT

Reputations:
    i'm on a mac-hine 3x per week, 3 miles per shot. but i need something for Tues and Thurs to get rid of this gut :ufat:

i cut out bread, pastries, desserts in general, real beer :mad: , and basically eat eggs, sausage, cheese, pistachios, coffee (lots! :c ), salad, protein bar, meat, veggies.

when i break that, i usually break it for chocolate :buffet: bagels/baklava the boss brings in, an extra protein bar, and maybe 1 time per week burger/fries. no soda, no added salt, try to keep protein up to 150g/day.

down 28 lbs. in the second half, but hit a major plateau :nocheer:

all help is greatly appreciated :c

8. Estocada

Reputations:

Just like in weight gain and muscle gain, the body has resistance points where things hold up for awhile. Entropy kicks in as you try to go from a disordered to an ordered state. You just have to put your ears back and keep slugging. It will happen-the process that dropped 28 pounds off you over time has not stopped working.

9. Mr. Potato Head

Mr. Potato Head ~Would Like to Play~ Gold

Reputations:
    I try to avoid the gym at all costs. Working out is for losers. :no:

10. MatthewT

Reputations:
    i need info dammit :mad:

11. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:

I dont do supplements, except some whey sometimes, so I can't help you there but if you want to lose a few and you are already in shape then I would suggest you bite the bullet and set a daily calorie goal and start tracking everything that you eat and drink as well as your calories burned in workouts. There are tons of apps/sites to make the process as painless as possible.

12. MatthewT

Reputations:
    go from 195 to 194 :c

13. Estocada

Reputations:
    +rep. LOL.

14. Estocada

Reputations:

Yeah, I've been looking. More really just to conversation than anything else. My real goal is March to get as good as I can. I'm taking a week at a resort then I am trying to motivate myself for that. I'll probably just stay on the whey for awhile. So much of the supplements is really for people that are hard core. I'm really not near that level.

15. Estocada

Reputations:

28 lbs is a real, credible gain. You really don't need more info, you just need to keep doing what you are doing, with some indulgences on occasion. Just keep posting and working and find like-minded encouraging people.

16. Estocada

Reputations:

Sounds like a pretty much Atkins approach. I'd try to mix in some beans, with Beano to avoid all the gas. Although you seem to be going low carb, if you can take it, oatmeal is a quality food, readily available at drive throughs, and pretty inexpensive. It can kill a hunger pang for quite awhile. On your off days, I'd suggest a good walk at a 3-4 mph pace. Easy on the joints and if you can do an hour, you'll burn several hundred calories.

17. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    a good way that i have found to shed weight is to incorporate intermittent fasting. i do it every once in awhile because it gives you digestive system a needed break. i don't use supplements because they have never worked for me. i get everything i need from my diet.

i work out 3 days/week and i no longer do cardio unless you consider hitting golf balls for 3hrs 4 days/week cardio.

18. Estocada

Reputations:

Well, at least playing golf is active. How long do you fast at a time? Does the hunger not get to you? I think I'd end up pigging out once I got off the fast and undoing all the gains I had made-how do you avoid this?

19. Half Pint

Half Pint Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    :woot:

More health threads.
    That is all.

20. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    i fast from 8pm to 12pm. the majority of hunger pangs are mental because your body gets acclimated to eating at certain times. try not eating at your regular lunch or dinner time and see how your body reacts. after a few days fasting, the pangs will subside. discipline is what gets you and keeps you in shape. diets are bullshit and merely a band aid. a particular lifestyle gets you out shape and a lifestyle change gets you back in shape. fasting is another way of slashing calories too as i can eat what i want but i choose not to. i will also have cheat meal once/week within reason. if i want pizza, i will have a slice. if i want taco bell, i will have it. even without exercise, fasting keeps my weight where i want it.