Interview of Jackie from Last Month - Jackie Talks Marbles

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Uncle Larry, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Not sure if someone posted this before, but Jackie did an interview on a site called Mixergy last month - http://mixergy.com/interviews/jackie-martling-jokeland/

Audio is for pay subscribers, but the link has a transcript (done by an automated program) where Jackie talks numbers about his final Stern show salary and the offer before he left. I know Jackie's talked generally about his departure in other interviews but don't recall him mentioning details about his salary or the offer.

From the transcript:

"Jackie: When I left I was making 580. And we were printing, not we, they were printing money. Forget it, it was crazy how much money was coming in. I was making like 580 plus what I think the E-channel was giving me like 50,000 or something. And listen right now I’d kill for 50,000 or something else. I don’t mean to sound …

Andrew: Because they would also cut up the show and show video of it on E in half hour segments. So that was another 50 and what were you asking for, a million? What did they offer you?

Jackie: Well, I wanted a million on the average, so what I wanted was 809, a million, million one, a million two, that’s what we were going to ask for. So my lawyer started the million dollars a year. I was making like 578, and the first thing they offered me was, I think, six, whatever, 615 or something whatever 7% .....

Jackie: I was making 578 and I probably shouldn’t be talking figures but who cares, it’s so long ago.

Andrew: Who cares at this point?

Jackie: It was, and I wanted, and they offered me it was 616 or 620, whatever it was, and my lawyer said, “You know, we wanted a million.” And they came back and said,”All right, 650. That’s our final offer.” And he said, “All right. I think he said 900 and that was in January of 2001. We never heard from them again. And I’m sitting there on the show every day and after …

Andrew: And so your lawyer goes to them and says, “Hey, how about 900?” They don’t say anything and then you walk off?

Jackie: And so two months later, my lawyer says, “You know, what are we going to do. They’re at a stalemate. They wouldn’t return the call, they wouldn’t…” it was like all the way or the highway, 650 or nothing. Which in a fair way 650 is a healthy leap from 580. I mean, I’m not lying to anybody that was a lot of money, but I was shocked and just not even giving me the courtesy of negotiating. So we went in and talked to the guy and said, “Listen, Jackie is not coming in Monday, because we are at stalemate here. And he said, “Well, I think you may get a problem. I think you’re making a mistake.” And we said, “We think you are making a mistake because you know Jackie is important to the show.”

So of course, just that Monday I didn’t show up and just like every time that I’d ever negotiated, they’ve known I’m not coming in on Monday because, of course, you would negotiate this with the general manger and make sure Howard knows, of course. And, of course, on Monday I’m not there, and it’s like, “Robin, where’s Jackie? Did he leave you high and dry again, Howard? Where is he?”

sstressed, Benjamen, Famous and 20 others like this.
  2. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    Interesting...i wonder how much Artie got of that $650K

3. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    He discussed his salary on the Maron podcast last year, but it was less than F-Jackie.

He said THSS paid him "about half" " of what he was making on "Norm" ($35,000 per week * 24 weeks) and he would make up the difference on the road.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. Batwings

Batwings Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That's a lot of money to walk away from. I wonder if it felt better to walk away.

5. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Didn't Tom claim the offer Jackie walked away from was for 2 mil? Can there ever be a Stern related story where both sides tell it in even a remotely similar way? One of them is just a flat out fucking liar.

And of course… either way, Jackie's an idiot.

6. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard paid Artie $500,000 at KROCK.
    Artie was paid $700,000 a year at Sirius by HOWARD.

teehee, codeine, blottomsup and 2 others like this.
  7. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Tom speaking for Howard claimed Jackie walk away from almost 1 million a year ($975,000?)

teehee, codeine and blottomsup like this.
  8. killallposers

Reputations:
    He wasn't walking away, he was calling their bluff and lost. If they'd have let him, he'd have gone back later for the original offer they made him (I think Howard even claims he tried, but who believes anything he says?). He thought it would be like every other time and they would give him a little more and then he'd come back. Apparently they had enough. Howard's a prick, I'm not sticking up for him, but I can see why they finally got tired of Jackie's shit. Of course Howard and the station are pulling in a bundle, but there's a tipping point where they just don't think you're worth anymore regardless of how much the show is generating. It's not fair, but it's business. And the show won big. Artie got paid less and was a great success. I know a lot of fans missed Jackie, but the show never missed a beat and for me, it was like new blood had been pumped in. Artie wasn't good for the long haul, though, but obviously neither was Howard.

codeine, Thedomina, AmishGirl and 4 others like this.
  9. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    If Sterns staff knew that Howard and only HOWARD set and paid their salary for EVERY Stern endeavor things might have been different.

10. killallposers

Reputations:
    Don't know why I had the 2 mil figure in my head. Did Tom maybe claim that's what Jackie asked for?

Anyway, still, basically we have Jackie claiming he asked for (and that they refused to even come close to) the same amount Tom is saying they offered and Jackie turned down. Someone's lying.

Nemo likes this.
  11. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Jackie demonstrated the problem of negotiating without other offers or apparent job options.

12. redwolf

redwolf Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    570 or a million a year that is still alot of money to walk away from! plus all the road money he made at gigs, and you know he's not making shit now, damn I bet he regrets it, I loved jackie on the show!

13. Big Lar

Big Lar Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I just hope he truly is happier. I know I couldn't live with myself walking away from that much money.

Ganggreen87, ravenrules and kingship like this.
  14. ShutupMoron

ShutupMoron Unknown Member VIP

Reputations:
    Dopey Jackie demonstrated the problem of negotiating with nothing the HSS needed that was critical to the success of the show. In case he never noticed it was the Howard Stern Show and not the Jackie Martling Show. As it turned out the dummy also walked away from 15-20 million in SiriusXM money.

jackieavenger, Rupert Pupkin and Omen like this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I blame Howard.
    Jackie thought he was negotiating with Mel and not Stern.
    Gunky is a greedy coward.

16. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard Tom say Jackie was offered close to a Million...A lot of money for sure. The problem is like most business's just because there making boatloads of money doesn't mean your going to see any of it. Jackie was not there partner just a salaried employee.

17. Captain

Captain Alto, Blanco y Guapo Gold

Reputations:
    1. Final offer is usually taken to mean final offer.
    2. Don't walk away from the final offer unless you have another gig lined up or fuck-you money in the bank.
    3. The company exists to return value to the shareholders, not the employees. A salary is not a share of profits. Don't forget that.

18. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    For a number one, flagship syndicated radio show, those figures are actually lower than I would have expected.

Now I see why everyone says don't go into radio.

19. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He was worth more to that show than they felt he was worth. The show dynamic was irreparably damaged after he left. I know there's a lot of Artie fans out there, but a huge part of that show was everyone's ability to laugh at themselves. Whenever Artie got insulted by anyone, it was always the same comeback - "I made 80,000 dollars last weekend" - the same shit Gary pulls now.

20. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    On his first Cumia appearance, he says when he didn't show up the very first time, Howard called him and said, "Jackie, what's wrong?"

"They didn't meet my offer, I need x amount."

And Stern said, "Okay, I'll pay it, come in tomorrow."

Then I DISTINCTLY remember once Jackie was gone for good, Howard would bitch "Why didn't he just come to me?"

Because you led everyone to believe you DIDN'T control the payroll, Howie, he didn't know he was supposed to.

teehee likes this.