iPhone 5 flaw lets anyone see your...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Feb 15, 2013.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    [h=1]iPhone 5 flaw lets anyone see your contacts, photos[/h] By Paul Wagenseil
    Published February 14, 2013
    TechNewsDaily

The passcode lock on the iPhone 5 isn't perfect, it seems.
    A video posted on YouTube Jan. 31 by user "videosdebarraquito" shows how to bypass the lock on an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1.
    The method was confirmed by the tech blog The Verge, which posted its own video showing the trick.
    Basically, as described by videodebarraquito on his YouTube page, the method involves going to the emergency call screen, tapping the power button, dialing the GSM international emergency number 112, canceling, holding down the power button again for a second or two and hitting "Emergency Call" again.
    The phone then unlocks for a moment. Hitting the home button immediately gives the user access to the contact list, calling app, voicemail and photos, all without entering the passcode.
    Other apps were not accessible, The Verge said.
    We weren't able to duplicate the trick ourselves on a Sprint iPhone 4S running iOS 6.1.1. That may be because Sprint and Verizon phones, which use the rival CDMA protocol instead of the more widely used GSM, don't recognize 112 as an emergency number.
    North American users may want to see if dialing 911 works instead.
    This isn't the first time the passcode lock has been bypassed on iOS devices. Similar locking flaws were discovered in iOS 4 and iOS 5, and for a time the passcode lock on an iPad 2 could be bypassed using the magnetic Smart Cover.
    Apple quickly fixed all three bugs with software updates. The company will probably patch this flaw with an incremental update within a week or two.

[video=youtube;MDkLpj3MM-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDkLpj3MM-c[/video]

2. Anfkid

Anfkid Blue Banner Mafia Staff Member

Reputations:
    good to know. thanks.

3. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    I was hoping someone would create a thread about this.

So where are all the apple fanboys, maniacally raving about how safe and secure the apple operating system is and everything associated with it?

A lot of us have been screaming for years that the real reason Apple products have seemed safer is because of their abysmally low market share. And we also said that as their market share increases, they will then be worth the time of the hackers.

Congratulations, Apple! You've made it. You're just as shitty as all the other companies at protecting users' personal information from getting hacked and from having your devices jacked.
    :golfclap:

4. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    What a fucking non story. I, and most people I assume, don't even use a pass code. I keep my phone in my pocket and if I'm dumb enough to lose it then somebody is more than welcome to view my contact list and midget picture collection. It's not like I have launch codes on the fucking thing.

The way the headline reads its like there is a massive security flaw and anyone can access the info remotely using a VCR.

BTW.......I have a 4s so it doesn't apply to me anyway and I wouldn't care if it did.

5. Horff

Horff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How the hell did anyone ever figure this out? Seems like a lot to go through to look at someone's pictures. I'll save you some time and just hand you my phone.

6. FlaFlaFlunkie

FlaFlaFlunkie Fabulous!

Reputations:
    Yeah, but imagine how many tools out there have nude pictures of themselves on their phones. :ujerk: :ujj:

7. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    I got a buddy who's an Apple fanboy, waited in line overnight for the iphone 5. He picked up my android phone the other day and was fascinated by it. kick the Jobs Kool-aid

[​IMG]

8. cah155

cah155 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If someone goes to that much trouble to see my stuff then that's an issue itself

9. Dick Gozinya

Dick Gozinya Active Member

Reputations:
    Exactly. Like Lemmy said... My shit isn't protected. I dont care who sees my stupid pictures a cool tree I saw once. And if they want to call Western Digital and use my serial number from my contacts, who fucking cares? No matter what the phone is, if they want in bad enough, they're going to get in. Apple or not.

10. RumBalls

RumBalls The original RumBalls, est. Jan 16, 2012

Reputations:
    Well said!

11. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Yes, the Apple iPhone was virtually unknown until the "5" made it worth the time to hack into its most useless folders. :jj:

Fucking haters are as bad (or worse) than the "fanboys".

12. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I see an article or web link for an issue or issues with an Android based phone and I skip over it because I don't care and it doesn't impact my life at all since i have an iPhone. If someone is pleased with whatever electronic devices they have then good for them and I'm as happy as you can expect me to be over something so frivolous.

If only Android (or whatever) "fanboys" did the same.

Go ahead and explain to me (for the billionth time) how my phone is inferior, too expensive, evil, that I'm too dumb to use anything else and how it somehow makes me crave the cock....... :jj:

13. Dead Air Dave

Dead Air Dave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If security is an issue you should be using a blackberry.

There's a reason banks, law firms and the government use blackberries.

14. Dick Gozinya

Reputations:
    I had a Droid. It was quirky. The iPhone is just solid... mainly because Apple checks every single app it releases through the store. Droid doesn't give a shit, so quality lacks, along with memory management.

I dont get the too expensive thing, either... all phones makes and models are priced similar through the providers, and seem to be driven by contract renewals.

15. Dick Gozinya

Reputations:
    The new 10 has me intrigued.

16. Obi Drunkenobe

Obi Drunkenobe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Who the hell uses a passcode on their phone ?

17. Dick Gozinya

Reputations:
    Paranoid people.

18. Dead Air Dave

Dead Air Dave Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you live in a big city and/or work for a major corporation its standard, if not required, to use a password.

19. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Why are you getting so worked up?

There's no conspiracy here to insult the iPhone or it's users, I posted this in case anyone's interested. Just like I posted an article about an Android security problem about 10 days ago, and the thread got "0" replies.

http://www.dawgsaloon.com/showthrea...e-steals-data-records-audio-via-PC-microphone

20. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not anyone can see your photos, they have to get their hands on your phone first. If anyone could see them it would be done online.