Long Island man suffers third-degree burn when iPhone explodes in pocket: lawyer BY Meg Wagner NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Published: Friday, February 27, 2015, 1:38 PM Updated: Friday, February 27, 2015, 7:19 PM Erick Johnson suffered a football-sized third-degree burn when his iPhone exploded in his pocket, his lawyer said. A Long Island man said he suffered a football-sized third-degree burn when his iPhone exploded in his pocket while he was on his way to a funeral. Erick Johnson, of Lindenhurst, spent 10 days in the hospital after his iPhone spontaneously combusted on Valentine’s Day, his lawyer told the Daily News. Johnson and his brother were on their way to their 25-year-old cousin’s wake, said personal injury lawyer Mike Della, with Gruenberg Kelly Della. Johnson parked his cars and dropped his keys while he got out. When the 29-year-old bent down to pick them up, he heard a pop in his pocket, where he kept his iPhone 5C, Della said. Then, Johnson felt his leg burning. “He panicked. Started ripping off his pants,” Della said. “His brother ran over and he said he could smell the flesh burning.” Gruenberg Kelly Della Enlarge Gruenberg Kelly Della Enlarge Gruenberg Kelly Della Enlarge Johnson's iPhone 5C exploded in his pocket and burned through his pants. Johnson was rushed to the hospital, where he spent 10 days recovering from a third-degree burn to the top of his thigh. The deep burn was about the size of a football, Della said. “What makes it even worse is that he had to miss his cousin’s wake, his funeral,” Della said. “He couldn’t be there with his family.” The phone was warped, too, and parts of its metal casing melted in the explosion. Johnson, who is continuing his recovery at home, wasn’t doing anything out of the ordinary when the phone exploded, Della said: While he was bending over, the phone was not bent in anyway. Della said he has reached out to Apple, but hasn’t heard back. The lawyer plans to file a complaint on his client’s behalf. “Even if this only happened this one time, that’s one time too many,” he said. “What if this happened to a child?” In October, an Arizona man claimed his iPhone burned through his pocket and his boxers after it bent during a minor rickshaw accident. Last year, a Maine eighth-grader said her iPhone exploded after she sat down with it in her back pocket.