Is Howard Holding Back "The Tapes" For a Big Payday in The Future?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by tv910, Feb 21, 2013.

1. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks Like Howard Is Holding Back "The Tapes" For a Big Payday in The Future

I recently emailed Tim Sabean and suggested he scrap the current programming on H101 and run old "classic" Stern Shows (like MTT and Satellite Years) 24/7 instead. Here's a quote from his reply:

"I'm looking at the future and trying to develop Howardcentric content that appeals to the fans. In the event HS decides that he will someday allow his archival content to air on the platform I would have "LIVE" shows that would be relevant and could support the HS material."

As usual, it's difficult to understand exactly what he means because of all the management double-speak but it appears he's saying that Howard (HS) isn't allowing the old shows to be played. Makes me wonder if Howard is planning on selling the rights to most of "The Tapes" for a big payday after he retires. That would explain why we only hear a small portion of them repeated over and over instead of the whole collection.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  2. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They should just go back to 1993 & air all the old shows in order each morning up until the early years of Sirius.
    Then maybe I would renew my subscription & listen to 101 instead of 100.

3. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i think howard will be surprised to find that no one is interested in buying his old classic tapes...much of the old stuff is terribly dated which means that only the hardcore will give a damn.

it's always about the marbles with old howie.

4. JustAddWater

JustAddWater Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He fought hard to get those tapes back. And NO Allison is allowed to be aired.

Us Hard Core fans would only feel sad to listen, knowing what Howard has become today! :tears2:

5. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Family-friendly, castrato Howie could never run the old shows without editing them to death.

6. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    of course. but howard doesnt gain anything by doing that now.
    he will after he stops doing live shows though

7. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Typical greedy/deceptive behavior by Howard. When he made the big announcement about getting the tapes he certainly gave the impression they would be played on his Sirius channels. Now he's screwing over the subscribers (again) by holding back most of it for another payday. No way I'd pay for anything Howard-related again, not even the old stuff.

8. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sabean is still a fucking douche but at least the guy responded to your email. Even though it was just upper management nonsense. I could listen to Stern Show Shuffle from 90-99 every day and be happy instead of the shit that's coming out of the channels now.

9. SuperFarts

SuperFarts Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This would explain the shuffle, no full shows. Otherwise people would be able to create a catalog of every show.

10. IlluminatiJones

IlluminatiJones New Member

Reputations:
    So they're going with the "hanging on to them for dear life like they're the most precious diamonds in the world until they become next to worthless" strategy?

And what percentage of Stern show classic moments are out there on Youtube and floating around the interwebs anyway? At least 50, right? And probably really close to 100% of the tippity-top stuff.

You can find Cooky Puss or a Dice/Mark Harris fight in two seconds.

So what, exactly, do they think they're holding on to?

And how well will a clip of Howard opening a show riffing on Super Bowl XXVIII commercials play in 2013 2016, or whenever the hell they get their shit together?

Like many others have said, his current douchebaggery mostly makes the old shows somehow almost unlistenable.

We already know how this sad tale will end, so what's the point of going over the hill and through the woods with him again?

Also, they'd need a real alchemist in there with the old shows; someone who could be really surgical with the edits, who could string together themes, and create an overall flow to things. In other words: a superfan but not a retard, which is something they'd never pay for.

The alternative is to just play shows in their entirety, which would be fine, too. But they should run in order and not randomly.

But Howard will be using the tapes of the old shows as his "leverage" in his new deal. I say he'll ask for 1-2 days live, with the rest tapes, and most of the air-time during those 1-2 "live" days will be spent talking about what was just played or what's coming up on those tapes.

He'll go full-museum mummy.

But the whole tone and focus of it will be wrong. What should be a celebration will come off as a funeral.

His own.

Lotta ghosts on those old tapes.

11. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    agreed, for the fans. but hes going to sell them to clueless executives. he'll pitch that for a fraction of his salary, they can still retain his whole fanbase for another 10 years

12. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    As Illuminati mentioned above...they're not worth much now and pretty soon they'll be worthless. Unlike the Beatles, Stones or even Monty Python (insert classic act)...Howard will be a footnote in the big book of entertainment history, my children's children won't be listening to Howard Stern, shit my teenage nephews will only hold interest with Howard to the really classic bits before leaving the room or changing the channel. Comedy has a shelf life and especially topical radio show comedy. He needs to make a use for those tapes soon, I can't see people downloading old Howard shows for any amount of money.

13. Xent

Xent Active Member

Reputations:
    I believe that's called doing a 'Mutt'

14. Greekfreak

Greekfreak New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Agreed.

Most of the "tapes" are completely worthless without guys like WDM to edit any so-called "gold" out of them. After so many years of file-sharing and dedicated editors to these shows, and youtube as somebody mentioned--those of us who want to hear that stuff already have them. I could, however, see Wiggy attempting to lease the tapes to Sirius for a 5-year period.

If he's smart, rather than holding onto what he'd call his "publishing", he'll sell the tapes outright and get what he can for them. It's not exactly the Beatles songbook.

15. Bababaloney

Bababaloney Fudge Packer Banned User

Reputations:
    Listening to the old tapes he does air sometimes makes me sad. But I enjoy them and would listen if they ran complete shows in chronological order.

As far as the Allison issue. If he had kept the Allison material in, the same fans bashing him for editing the material out would call him a disrespectful asshole for leaving them in.
    If it's going to hurt his kids to possibly hear that, it's a good move.

16. ZosoHitler

ZosoHitler VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, holding on to the tapes is pointless because the classic shows are all up on YouTube and floating around the internet.

17. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    :toptip:

"negative coattails"................that's a keeper! :up:

touché, bravo, etc.

Bowie once did that, and maybe still does, with his back catalogue. I once loaded up an old hockey game on the PSX and "Heroes" started playing. :facepalm:

That would never, ever, ever, ever, ever happen. HE comes with the tapes. That's his leverage to keep himself out of the jaws of obscurity/celebrity-death/home alone with without Beth 24/7.

At the very least he'll come in and "present" the old shows one or two days a week.

Carson barely worked at the end too, but he still went thermonuclear when he was pushed out completely.

I think Howard's second-greatest fear in life, next to losing his marbles, is becoming unfamous and forgotten and being removed from the public eye.................................no more underlings to push around and belittle and terrorize, no more perks and freebies, no more power of the microphone, no more adulation of sychophants, and no more platform for attack and retaliation.

No, he'd rather die than disappear.

18. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think so. He has no other reason to hold them back as the tape team already edits out all references to his ex-wife. Stern probably see's the tapes as a way to earn more money from sirius after he leaves.

19. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yep. One skill of Stern's that has never diminished/nor intentionally shelved, is his ability to sell himself and his product as something amazing, edgy, and in demand. I'm still amazed that Sirius signed up for another 5 years of less than 10 shows a month of and already rapidly declining product from a disinterested host who had no intention of finding a replacement for what had become the focal point and source contoversy/headlines/comedy for his show.

I'm less surprised that NBC and its' Stern fan boys in the programming department fell for it. They honestly thought that they were getting the edgy Stern who would be Simon cranked up 10 decibles with all the humor, caustic remarks, ball breaking evaluations, and headline grabbing controversy he was known more. They thought they were getting the man dressed in black with the devilish grin blasting some untalented shmuck with a fire hose. Instead they got an emaciated pelican hugging little boys and dancing with shirtless men.

Stern truly is the master salesman

20. IlluminatiJones

Reputations:
    I prefer to go with the idea that the people he tries to sell things to are Wendy the Retard-dumb.

No intelligent longtime fan not named "Bobo" or MFB businessman/woman would have signed him at that number, for those hours, with that personnel.

I literally wouldn't take $100 a month to listen to the show in its current form.

I think his old buddy Mel is even on record as saying that he would have never given Howard the type of contract he managed to rat-fuck out of Sirius the last go-round. I don't think he was on board when they were negotiating with Howard, and seemed to view Howard's contract as an albatross around the company's neck.